GERMANY vs CANADA (Pre-Game / In-Game) Thread (R)

Guest Ed

Tomorrow, Canada takes on powerhouse Germany in Dresden.

Forecasted German lineup:

Voraussichtliche Aufstellung: Angerer - Bresonik, Bartusiak, Hingst, Peter - Garefrekes, Laudehr, Kulig, Behringer - Prinz, Grings

(Grings was DFB's female footballer of the year)

The DFB site has an article highlighting two old foes going head to head (Carolina Morace vs German WNT coach Silvia Neid).

Kick off is at 18:00 hrs local time (12:00 pm EST).

Game is being broadcast nationwide on ARD in Germany so there should be some feeds available online.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=500014&tx_dfbnews_pi1[showUid]=24669&tx_dfbnews_pi4[cat]=57

Google Translation.....

News

15/09/2010 08:04 Women's National Team

DFB - secure women : Now even more tickets for the Canada game!

Here again is rising great women : the Dresden Rudolf Harbig Stadium

The fascination continues: After the exciting games at U - 20 Women's World Cup now awaits the next highlight on the fans in Dresden. The women's festival in the Rudolf- Harbig Stadium today ( 18 clock ) takes shape.

Already more than 17,000 tickets have been sold for the match between the DFB - selection and Canada. As it is for fans of women's soccer : now more secure tickets quickly !

Tickets are currently available in all categories. The tickets cost between five and 35 euros. You have to get on all CTS ticket agencies. Today Frühkassen open the stadium by 10 clock , all the other ticket office are staffed from 15 clock .

A festival of World Champions

With the German team , the reigning world and European champions presented at Rudolf- Harbig Stadium. In the ranks of the DFB - selection as are well-known and well-known players like Birgit Prinz , Nadine Angerer , Inka Grings , Ariane Hingst and Linda Bresonik .

You will also be a foretaste of the 2011 World Cup as the supply U - 20 World Champions Kim Kulig and Alexandra Popp, who are in the squad. And the Canadian team , a potential candidate for participation in the finals next year , is under coach Carolina Morace for attractive attacking football .

I like the last phrase "is under coach Carolina Morace for attractive attacking football "

We shall see.

Google translation of German match report

National Team

Friendly place World Cup Qualifiers

Soccer -Women celebrate small shooting

With a 5-0 (1-0 )- runaway victory against Canada , the German soccer women in the long preparation phase for the home World Cup next summer are running. The team of national coach Silvia Neid celebrated at the premiere in the new match - Rudolf- Harbig stadium in Dresden, his first win since six and a half months.

Alexandra Popp rejoices with their teammates Hingst ( left) and Behringer

Inka Grings saw before 20 431 spectators already in the 2nd minute via penalty kick to lead the two-time world champion in only their second home game of the year. Fatmire Bajramaj (54th ), U20 World Champion Alexandra Popp ( 76th ), Melanie Behringer ( 79) and Celia Okoyino da Mbabi ( 83) increased after the change and provided for the ninth victory in the ninth game against Canada . "I am generally satisfied with the game. I am pleased that we have good alternatives, which we can build for years. Alexandra Popp is the front just fine, " said Envy . The so vowed Alexandra Popp remained modest. "Claims , I did not call . I am every time happy when I 'm there, " said the Duisburgerin who was at the U20 World Cup and leading scorer : " Whether I played the juniors or here gates do not really care. Here it comes but much more aggressive about . "

Germany operated successfully for remedial last two defeats against Canada U.S. neighbors . The last victory was by then a 5-0 against China in March was . A return to Dresden is excluded for the German team in the near future , however. The data recorded in the Saxon capital discharged group matches and the quarter finals of the home World Cup take place without German participation.

At the beginning with only one U-20 World Champion

More about

The women's international matches in the overview Kim Kulig envy made in only one of two U20 world champions in the squad to play from the start. World Cup top scorer Popp took first on the bench. The attack was the preference Grings , behind her 206th international match completed Birgit Prinz .

The duo saw shortly after the kick off for the German leadership . Prince was not even 50 seconds after fouled in the penalty area , Grings turned the sovereign. The German women as expected given the game , chances were limited to short supply. That marked Kelly Parker (21 ) is almost 0:2 by the own goal. The greatest opportunities were Kulig (35th ) and Kerstin Garefrekes ( 37) failed, the goalkeeper from close range to Karina Leblanc.

Two early goals - then nothing long

In the mid-term envy moved immediately to four positions , which brought success instantly . The substitute Ariane Hingst sent Bajramaj wonderfully on the right wing and the striker of Master Turbine Potsdam scored from an acute angle to 2-0.

Following the game , but once again flattened , Germany made it hardly possible to turn their superiority into chances compelling . It was the substitute Popp was bursting with attractive header from cross from Behringer the node. Shortly after the winger was with a shot into the far corner one also on the scoresheet before da Mbabi surprised with a large flank goalkeeper Leblanc , which was otherwise still best Canadian. In the DFB - selection showed Kulig defensive midfielder and goalscorer Bajramaj a strong performance.

Wow, 5-0 for Germany, is coach Carolina Morace going to get the same treatment as BR in the U17 thread?? She hasn't done much since she was hired 2 years ago. The U20 didn't even make it to the WC and the world ranking is now 13, the lowest ever.

Google translation of German match report

National Team

Friendly place World Cup Qualifiers

Soccer -Women celebrate small shooting

With a 5-0 (1-0 )- runaway victory against Canada , the German soccer women in the long preparation phase for the home World Cup next summer are running. The team of national coach Silvia Neid celebrated at the premiere in the new match - Rudolf- Harbig stadium in Dresden, his first win since six and a half months.

Alexandra Popp rejoices with their teammates Hingst ( left) and Behringer

Inka Grings saw before 20 431 spectators already in the 2nd minute via penalty kick to lead the two-time world champion in only their second home game of the year. Fatmire Bajramaj (54th ), U20 World Champion Alexandra Popp ( 76th ), Melanie Behringer ( 79) and Celia Okoyino da Mbabi ( 83) increased after the change and provided for the ninth victory in the ninth game against Canada . "I am generally satisfied with the game. I am pleased that we have good alternatives, which we can build for years. Alexandra Popp is the front just fine, " said Envy . The so vowed Alexandra Popp remained modest. "Claims , I did not call . I am every time happy when I 'm there, " said the Duisburgerin who was at the U20 World Cup and leading scorer : " Whether I played the juniors or here gates do not really care. Here it comes but much more aggressive about . "

Germany operated successfully for remedial last two defeats against Canada U.S. neighbors . The last victory was by then a 5-0 against China in March was . A return to Dresden is excluded for the German team in the near future , however. The data recorded in the Saxon capital discharged group matches and the quarter finals of the home World Cup take place without German participation.

At the beginning with only one U-20 World Champion

More about

The women's international matches in the overview Kim Kulig envy made in only one of two U20 world champions in the squad to play from the start. World Cup top scorer Popp took first on the bench. The attack was the preference Grings , behind her 206th international match completed Birgit Prinz .

The duo saw shortly after the kick off for the German leadership . Prince was not even 50 seconds after fouled in the penalty area , Grings turned the sovereign. The German women as expected given the game , chances were limited to short supply. That marked Kelly Parker (21 ) is almost 0:2 by the own goal. The greatest opportunities were Kulig (35th ) and Kerstin Garefrekes ( 37) failed, the goalkeeper from close range to Karina Leblanc.

Two early goals - then nothing long

In the mid-term envy moved immediately to four positions , which brought success instantly . The substitute Ariane Hingst sent Bajramaj wonderfully on the right wing and the striker of Master Turbine Potsdam scored from an acute angle to 2-0.

Following the game , but once again flattened , Germany made it hardly possible to turn their superiority into chances compelling . It was the substitute Popp was bursting with attractive header from cross from Behringer the node. Shortly after the winger was with a shot into the far corner one also on the scoresheet before da Mbabi surprised with a large flank goalkeeper Leblanc , which was otherwise still best Canadian. In the DFB - selection showed Kulig defensive midfielder and goalscorer Bajramaj a strong performance.

I have to side bigtime with smartplayer here with that question.

Is it Kumbaya around the campfire as perhaps they tried to play the ball on the ground (and by all accounts could not do it)?

BR got results with not much style; do the U17 coach critics prefer getting f*ing pasted on German national TV?

The Morace era may be short-lived. If Canada fails to qualify for the WWC or qualifies but performs poorly, changes will need to be made. It would be nice to see some of the 'right-thinking' that Canada employed in its 'Own the Podium' program trickle down to soccer.

She hasn't been there long enough give Morace the World Cup and Olympics. If she fails to qualify for either I agree with giving her the immediate sack but if Canada does qualify give her a chance in each. You never know Canada could have a disastrous World Cup but medal in the Olympics....

Game sheet from today's match. Zurrer brought down Prinz in the box 40 sec in to lead to the opening PK. Canada kept Germany from scoring until 10 minutes into the 2nd half. Then it got ugly.

Deutschland - Kanada 5:0 (1:0)

Deutschland: Angerer (1. FFC Frankfurt) - Fuss (1. FC Köln), Bartusiak (1. FFC Frankfurt), Goeßling (SC Bad Neuenahr - 82. Henning/Turbine Potsdam), Peter (Turbine Potsdam) - Laudehr (FCR Duisburg - 46. Hingst/1. FFC Frankfurt), Kulig (Hamburger SV) - Garefrekes (1. FFC Frankfurt - 46. Okoyino Da Mbabi (SC Bad Neuenahr), Bajramaj (Turbine Potsdam - 64. Popp/FCR Duisburg) - Prinz (1. FFC Frankfurt - 46. Behringer/Bayern München), Grings (FCR Duisburg - 46. Mittag/Turbine Potsdam)

Kanada: Leblanc - Wilkinson (60. Stewart), Chapman (83. Gayl), Nault, Zurrer (60. Booth) - Belanger (84. Lang), Parker (66.Kyle), Moscato, Matheson - Sinclair, Tancredi (76. Julien)

Schiedsrichterin: Damkova (Tschechien) - Zuschauer: 20.431

Tore: 1:0 Grings (2./Foulelfmeter), 2:0 Bajramaj (54.), 3:0 Popp (76.), 4:0 Behringer (79.), 5:0 Okoyino Da Mbabi (83.)

Gelbe Karten: - / Chapman

I have to side bigtime with smartplayer here with that question.

Is it Kumbaya around the campfire as perhaps they tried to play the ball on the ground (and by all accounts could not do it)?

BR got results with not much style; do the U17 coach critics prefer getting f*ing pasted on German national TV?

I have no doubt they would be getting clobbered by Germany no matter what style they played. The German women look more like a men's team than a women's team. We've got a long ways to go and we won't get there playing BR lump-it-ball with our youngsters.

Link to highlights:

http://tv.dfb.de/index.php?view=2550

Not sure about the call on Zurrer..

LeBlanc made a few good saves, but she also let in some soft ones.

The German's got in behind our defense numerous times - too many times.

The German's appear to be strong, fast AND technically and tactically competent - that's what's needed if you want to compete at this level.

Morace looked embarrassed - she should be.

if BR's team played u17 Germany at the WC, they would have lost by more than 5-0 and also do it without style, direction and insight.

Not likely. Germany U17 was beaten by Ireland in the UEFA qualifications and Canada only lost 1-0 to Ireland. Besides, what does speculating on a hypothetical U17 game have to do with Morace's pathetic result?

Link to highlights:

http://tv.dfb.de/index.php?view=2550

Not sure about the call on Zurrer..

LeBlanc made a few good saves, but she also let in some soft ones.

The German's got in behind our defense numerous times - too many times.

The German's appear to be strong, fast AND technically and tactically competent - that's what's needed if you want to compete at this level.

Morace looked embarrassed - she should be.

If this is the best Morace can put together, we are in deep trouble. Judging from the highlites we looked pitiful.

The Morace era may be short-lived. If Canada fails to qualify for the WWC or qualifies but performs poorly, changes will need to be made. It would be nice to see some of the 'right-thinking' that Canada employed in its 'Own the Podium' program trickle down to soccer.

I have seen BR "scouting" National Championships for the CSA as far back as 1998 and he is still around. Pellerud was with us for at least 8 years

Isn't it funny how some in this thread have less patience for Morace and expect massive results after being on the job barely over 18 months. It's still early days folks.

So we blame the coach, again?

I would hazard a guess that Germany is doing many things better than Canada - as are a growing number of other nations (Japan comes to mind). In theory, the solution is simple - take some time and find out what the stars and rising-stars are doing differently and implement those things into our own program. In reality, the solution is impossible to achieve without the right combination of desire, humility, teamwork and intelligent leadership. This is precisely why, until recently, Canada was the only nation to host an Olympics without winning a single gold medal - and precisely why Canada went from that dubious honour to winning more gold medals in Vancouver than any host nation in the history of the winter olympics.

Now getting to your question - So we blame the coach again?

Carolina Morace is the hiring product of a system in need of a major overhaul, so putting all the blame on Carolina seems unrealistic.

Another question might be, 'How well did Carolina do against Germany in comparison to the previous head coach who was also burdened by the same systemic problems?

Canada's previous 4 results against Germany (going back 5 years) are:

Germany 4 - Canada 3

Germany 3 - Canada 1

Germany 3 - Canada 2

Germany 3 - Canada 1

In those 4 games, Germany outscored Canada by a total of 6 goals - Carolina managed to be outscored 5 goals in a single game. One shouldn't be too carried away by the results of one game, but Carolina will have to do much better in WWC qualifying or I expect her tenure will be in serious jeopardy - the buck has to stop somewhere.

Thanks to whoever found the highlights! Fantastic!

I would say 3 of those goals Leblanc would probably like to have back. Penalty on Zurrer, while unfortunate, unlucky and unintentional, nevertheless was one, although calling it in minute 2 seemed harsh luck for the Canadians.

You could say the defense was poor, I'd say the midfield pressure was as well, in terms of the time and space the Germans were given to play some very nice through balls. There were a couple of goals as well that the Canadian player didn't step in right away to close pressure, and with the Germans at this level, you get punished, as they were.

I think Carolina is aiming to play with the ball on the ground, and I would say its a refreshing change of tactics. That being said, if you are not sharp with your passes, against the top teams, you will pretty quickly pay for your mistake, which is why EP favoured the direct ball that was at times painful to watch. I can think of one from the highlights whereby Chapman passed right into the German midfielder that resulted in either a dangerous shot or a goal about 5 seconds after the pass. I think at this point, I would encourage Morace to keep going and like everyone else has said, evaluate things after the World Cup (hopefully we get there).

What I think is problematic is the fact that there is absolutely no connection between Morace and anything younger than the U20s. For those of you that think for a second that she is in any way involved with the U17s, I have heard from a very good source, she is not, nor has the CSA given her any kind of reign over them in terms of choosing the coach. So for her, she inherits things at the u20 level and then is forced to work with the mess she has been given. Don't for a second think that the CSA is actually interested in doing what's necessary to make our women's teams successful. But getting started on that would be like beating a dead horse...

So for Morrace, she inherits things at the u20 level and then is forced to work with the mess she has been given. Don't for a second think that the CSA is actually interested in doing what's necessary to make our women's teams successful. But getting started on that would be like beating a dead horse...

I hope by "the mess" you are in no way referring to the senior team. That squad is made up of some of the finest players ON THE PLANET. Ya know you folks are starting to irritate me with your overly harsh perspectives. None of you would judge / indict someone you knew this harshly. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

All of the WN interview videos I've seen have players saying Carolina is making them play differently. They all seem to appreciate it but it's DIFFERENT from what they've been instructed to do the last EIGHT YEARS. They've all played in different systems at a high level elsewhere so I expect them to adapt quickly. But even FC Gold Pride-- Marta + Sinclair leading the charge-- have had lulls in their near-flawless WPS performance this year... and they've been together for MONTHS. the CDN nt doesn't get that kind of time together altho' Carolina is working hard to remedy that.

I've gotta side with those who belive we have talented players in the u20, u17 and sr nat'l team pools. THE CURRENT POOLS. Leveraging talent is not as cut & dry as y'all make it sound. For decades, CDNS have attended the Olympics with "we're just happy to be here" mentality. Not so for our CDN female soccer players. They expect to win on the world stage. Here's the thing people, you gotta peak at the right time. Perdita Felicien (CDN) and Lolo Jones (USA) both won Golden League 100m hurdles races this summer. But it was Lopes-Schliep (CDN/Olympic bronze) who won the championship race because she peaked WHEN IT MATTERED MOST... and blew everyone out of the water.

It's tough for our WNT to all peak at the right time because they're scattered all over the globe in league teams that don't all finish playing at the same time. If they earn a WC spot in Cancun, I'll cry tears of joy. I almost cried today over the score but quickly thanked God they're NOT IN CANCUN YET. They've got time to tighten things up a whole lot. Plus, this is a warning shot across the bow that could serve as a great wake-up call for them, Morrace included.

I appreciate that this is a place to vent frustrations but DAMMIT PEOPLE, show some compassion!! Morrace has great credentials, as did Pellerud, when she arrived. Even was left alone to do his job and achieved some success. I think she should have a full 3 years to do what she can. Why so long? This isn't a league team. They don't have an uninterrupted season of consecutive months to work together... unless CDN were to buy a WPS franchise. THAT IS A SOLUTION worth considering. For sure WPS has at least one more year of life left. That's not likely enough time to add a CDN franchise but... ya never know. It may be possible to buy a WC.

In the meantime... EASE UP. Put down the rifles! Stop predicting Morrace's imminent demise. Give her time and give the players the RESPECT THEY'VE EARNED... to make some mistakes and grow together.

Ok so I just watched the hilites--

The yellow card on Zurrer was a total HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE **** CALL.

But yes, Karina would like to take back at least 2 soft goals. And yes, they seem bloody fast.

But if Karina makes 2 add'l saves and Zurrer doesn't get a ridiculous Yellow card-- it's a 2-0 game.

I'm just glad I didn't watch the game. Amazing crowd for the home team tho'. Banners, cheering, tons of people. Nice job!

Archived