Pictures from Canada/Peru, Canada/Honduras

marktci

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who the heck were these guys?

--> http://www.flickr.com/photos/rednationonline/4969727904/

I think they were wearing Vs shirts, but were not sitting in the supporters section?

This was the Eastern Ontario District Soccer Association who had two busloads of people from the Ottawa area at the game. Trillium is part of this group but apparently couldn't convince them to come to 114 so they sat behind the Canadian players bench. They had the Voyageurs banner that Trillium brought to Venezuela though I guess no one saw it on tv since the cameras showed mostly the south stands. I assume it was him who got them to put the Voyageurs logo on their shirt but I spoke to a few of them who were part of the group but didn't take the bus and they did not know who the Voyageurs were or know about the website. Nevertheless, a good initiative on the part of the EODSA to bring a decent number of Canadian fans to the match.

There is no reason that the CSA shouldn't be contacting every similar soccer association in Montreal and the region to get them to do something similar. In the end, this probably happened only because a Voyageur was involved in the association and if anything happens with other soccer associations in Montreal and other cities in the future, it will probably be to Voyageur initiatives. In both Montreal and Toronto, had we (or better the CSA) filled the empty seats with youth players and their families it would have been a pro-Canadian crowd full of many future Canada soccer supporters.

This was the Eastern Ontario District Soccer Association who had two busloads of people from the Ottawa area at the game. Trillium is part of this group but apparently couldn't convince them to come to 114 so they sat behind the Canadian players bench. They had the Voyageurs banner that Trillium brought to Venezuela though I guess no one saw it on tv since the cameras showed mostly the south stands. I assume it was him who got them to put the Voyageurs logo on their shirt but I spoke to a few of them who were part of the group but didn't take the bus and they did not know who the Voyageurs were or know about the website. Nevertheless, a good initiative on the part of the EODSA to bring a decent number of Canadian fans to the match.

Cool to hear! Thanks for the info. Too bad they didn't sit in 114 (they could have sat behind the "hardcore" supporters), but showing up to support Canada at all is great. Nice initiative by Trillium.

No. I think almost no stadium anywhere allows flares.

Saputo just has much more bumbling security than most stadia.

When TFC played there in May, the same 5-10 security personnel ran back and forth en masse as each set of supporters set off pyro. They never considered splitting into two smaller groups and remaining near each group throughout. Not only that, but they used fire extinguishers on flares (which of course do not go out, even under water). All they accomplished was dousing everyone in that foam, while the flares and smoke bombs remained lit.

It was like watching the real life Keystone Kops in action.

Saputo just has much more bumbling security than most stadia.

When TFC played there in May, the same 5-10 security personnel ran back and forth en masse as each set of supporters set off pyro. They never considered splitting into two smaller groups and remaining near each group throughout. Not only that, but they used fire extinguishers on flares (which of course do not go out, even under water). All they accomplished was dousing everyone in that foam, while the flares and smoke bombs remained lit.

It was like watching the real life Keystone Kops in action.

There was an incident a couple years ago when a guy with a long pole and a large, full garbage bag managed to get into the stadium, get onto the field, run to the center of the field, plant his pole, open his bag, and strew his garbage all over the center circle, before a few fat security guys ran to tackle him. I'm sure the players feel very safe.

There was an incident a couple years ago when a guy with a long pole and a large, full garbage bag managed to get into the stadium, get onto the field, run to the center of the field, plant his pole, open his bag, and strew his garbage all over the center circle, before a few fat security guys ran to tackle him. I'm sure the players feel very safe.

Coming from regular games at BMO, where security is everywhere, it is always a shock to see how lax and incompetent the security at Saputo is.

That's not to say BMO's security is perfect, far from it in fact. But at least there seems to be some semblance of common sense there.

Coming from regular games at BMO, where security is everywhere, it is always a shock to see how lax and incompetent the security at Saputo is.

That's not to say BMO's security is perfect, far from it in fact. But at least there seems to be some semblance of common sense there.

Meh, quiet crowds and extremely rare, tiny away support... but yes then it seems incongruous the odd time we get a big away contingent at a TFC or NT game.

Meh, quiet crowds and extremely rare, tiny away support... but yes then it seems incongruous the odd time we get a big away contingent at a TFC or NT game.

Perhaps you're right that they are complacent due to the regular make-up of an Impact crowd, but they'll need to step up their game fast as WCQ starts next year, and MLS in 2012 will bring in quite a lot of travelling support from the Eastern teams (more than just the once a year from us they currently see) and hopefully a more involved home crowd.

Perhaps you're right that they are complacent due to the regular make-up of an Impact crowd, but they'll need to step up their game fast as WCQ starts next year, and MLS in 2012 will bring in quite a lot of travelling support from the Eastern teams (more than just the once a year from us they currently see) and hopefully a more involved home crowd.

Out of curiosity which Eastern teams bring the most away supporters to BMO?

Out of curiosity which Eastern teams bring the most away supporters to BMO?

Consistently? Either DC or Chicago.

New England has actually brought quite a lot on two different occasions, and Columbus always says they'll bring a lot to "match" what we've brought to Ohio, but in reality you guys bring more than they do.

I'm sure with your proximity, New England will bring a ton to Montreal on their first go-round. You can expect decent traveling support from all the Eastern seaboard teams. Philly will disappoint with their lack of away fans, if form holds true. The Sons of Ben don't travel very well at all.

(This thread has gone way off track, though.)

Please be sure to edit out the, uh, unfortunate bits from during the rain delay. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I am still debating that. I am trying to decide if I am actually a nice guy or truly a sadist! When you see the video you will find the results of my ruminations! In other words be prepared for the possibility of having to look away in horror!

Archived