PER / HON Media Coverage

Toronto MB

Hi All,

I'm pleased to report that in conjunction with the hard-working team at RedNation Online, we will be providing some extensive video coverage of the upcoming matches versus Peru and Honduras.

To begin, I attended today's press conference in Toronto and had an opportunity to speak to Stephen Hart and Patrice Bernier about what they learned from the disastrous qualifying campaign of 2008. You can read that article here:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Time_for_Redemption_september_2_10_article.shtml

Here is a schedule of the anticipated video coverage for the matches - I will update this thread as new items become available:

BY 9PM - FRIDAY SEPT 3rd

PRE-GAME vs. PERU INTERVIEWS:

- Will Johnson

- Atiba Hutchinson

- Adam Straith

- Simeon Jackson

- Issey Nakajima Farran

BY 9AM - SUNDAY SEPT 5th

POST-GAME vs. PERU INTERVIEW:

- Julian De Guzman

BY 9PM - MONDAY SEPT 6th

PRE-GAME vs. HONDURAS

- Detailed video report with all of the latest information in the build-up to Tuesday's kick-off at Saputo Stadium in Montreal

- 3 to 5 player/staff interviews

BY 9AM - WEDNESDAY SEPT 8th

POST-GAME vs. HONDURAS

- Detailed video report of match vs. Honduras with insight and reaction from players/staff

As always your requests and feedback are welcome at: max.bell@ymail.com or simply post a message in this thread.

Thanks in advance for your viewing support,

Max Bell

Hi All,

BY 9AM - SUNDAY AUG 5th

POST-GAME vs. PERU

- Detailed video report of match vs. Peru with insight and reaction from players/staff

BY 9PM - MONDAY AUG 6th

PRE-GAME vs. HONDURAS

- Detailed video report with all of the latest information in the build-up to Tuesday's kick-off at Saputo Stadium in Montreal

BY 9AM - WEDNESDAY AUG 8th

POST-GAME vs. HONDURAS

- Detailed video report of match vs. Honduras with insight and reaction from players/staff

Thanks in advance for your viewing support,

Max Bell

That's great, Max! Your reports IMHO put some network analyses to shame. A small detail, but the match is in SEPT ...

FYI - 5 player interviews from today's training session at BMO are now posted on YouTube:

Issey Nakajima-Farran:

Will Johnson:

Adam Straith:

Atiba Hutchinson:

Simeon Jackson:

I had the chance to speak to Stephen Hart again and get some of the answers to some of the questions posed on the forums (I forgot to ask about Pacheco today, I will find out in the coming days)"

HART on ZAVARISE:

“In Venezuela he did some nice things and I can couldn’t really be fair to him, he didn’t get a lot of time. He’s left-footed and you always want a balanced team. In Venezuela we only got in the night before the game due to a number of problems with the airlines, so I only got the chance to see him a bit in practice, so I thought it would be a nice camp to bring him in and see how he responds.”

HART on GERBA:

“I didn’t want to call Ali, because in a sense, I didn’t want to call him here and sit him on the bench. It’s always difficult for players when you do that. He’s only just started playing, he’s just started playing, I know what he’s all about, I’ve done a lot of work with him – even at the youth level. So I know him very well.”

I asked if Ali was part of his future plans, he responded.

“Yes, of course. He’s one of our top scorers, of course.”

HART on MCKENNA:

Coach Hart mentioned on an earlier conference call that Kevin would be used mainly as a centre-back, with an option of moving him up front late in games to give the team another dimension.

NOTE:

IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBER TO 'THEVOYAGEURS' YOUTUBE CHANNEL, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE THIS CONTENT AUTOMATICALLY. PLEASE LOG ON TO: http://www.youtube.com/user/rednationonlinetv AND SIGN UP FOR THE LATEST VIDEOS.

Thanks again,

MB

Great stuff again Max.

Not seen this media article posted yet:

http://www.thestar.com/article/856294--young-hart-hoping-for-a-solid-start

It unfortunately indicates that only 10,000 are expected for the game (I had heard a couple of days ago that only 6000 tickets had been sold, so either there's been recent upswing or that's the anticipated crowd with the walk-up for the day - a walk up that's more difficult than normal because the Ex is on and you have to pay first just to get in the grounds). 10,000 would be a good crowd by old days standards but something I'd like to have seen improved in the new era of domestic pro soccer in Canada

I had the chance to speak to Stephen Hart again and get some of the answers to some of the questions posed on the forums (I forgot to ask about Pacheco today, I will find out in the coming days)"

HART on ZAVARISE:

“In Venezuela he did some nice things and I can couldn’t really be fair to him, he didn’t get a lot of time. He’s left-footed and you always want a balanced team. In Venezuela we only got in the night before the game due to a number of problems with the airlines, so I only got the chance to see him a bit in practice, so I thought it would be a nice camp to bring him in and see how he responds.”

HART on GERBA:

“I didn’t want to call Ali, because in a sense, I didn’t want to call him here and sit him on the bench. It’s always difficult for players when you do that. He’s only just started playing, he’s just started playing, I know what he’s all about, I’ve done a lot of work with him – even at the youth level. So I know him very well.”

I asked if Ali was part of his future plans, he responded.

“Yes, of course. He’s one of our top scorers, of course.”

HART on MCKENNA:

Coach Hart mentioned on an earlier conference call that Kevin would be used mainly as a centre-back, with an option of moving him up front late in games to give the team another dimension.

Great job, Max! Thanks for asking my questions.

Well done all. Well done.

One of the bits in The Globe & Mail. More critical look at the Big Picture but worth the read I think. Have to say I do disagree about wallpapering the park (if necessary) with give-aways or extra cheap tickets. This model has been tried time and again and proven an over whelming failure. All that type of program does is punish the dedicated fans.

Not saying it isn't a useful promotional tool without it place, just saying it's a tool which should be used sparingly and with caution.

And following that train of thought 10K would be a decent crowd I think for a Saturday afternoon against a less than marketable opponent on the last long weekend of the summer before the kids go back to school.

Looks like Mother Nature is up for the match. Forecasts call for a perfect day for some football.

Well done all. Well done.

One of the bits in The Globe & Mail. More critical look at the Big Picture but worth the read I think. Have to say I do disagree about wallpapering the park (if necessary) with give-aways or extra cheap tickets. This model has been tried time and again and proven an over whelming failure. All that type of program does is punish the dedicated fans.

Not saying it isn't a useful promotional tool without it place, just saying it's a tool which should be used sparingly and with caution.

And following that train of thought 10K would be a decent crowd I think for a Saturday afternoon against a less than marketable opponent on the last long weekend of the summer before the kids go back to school.

Looks like Mother Nature is up for the match. Forecasts call for a perfect day for some football.

Good find from the Globe Cheeta.

I also feel the need to share with you guys that Captain Critical aka Paul James has been involved in NONE of the media festivities leading up to this match. Not on the conference call, not at the press conference and not at the training session.

Now I could be entirely wrong, and I suppose Mr. James may have some other business to attend to.

But for someone who so callously criticizes our boys on a regular basis, he seems to be making very little effort to get to know them.

I can say that to a man the spirit and character of our team is top class. I'm sure it has come through in the interviews I've been doing, but they are ALL willing to speak to the media (big or small), and they ALL have positive things to say about the camp and they ALL seem to get on like lads and treat each other well.

So the next time I see Paul James chastising the character of the Canadian national team, I will find it even harder to swallow.

Do we lack quality? Sure. Character? No sir.

Evening All,

Tough game today, but hey, these things happen.

Unfortunately due to all but one of the players escaping to the team bus while the media was penned up in the press conference, the only video we have for you today is a scrum interview with Julian De Guzman.

The team and I will endeavour to make this up to you by getting a bunch of good interviews discussing today's game on Monday at training in Montreal.

We will also have some more print coverage, including press conference clips, coming your way shortly.

Thanks as always for the support, and nice to see some of the Vee's after the game today. Both Stephen Hart and Nigel Reed went out of their way to express their admiration for how loud and committed the Voyageurs were today:

PERU POST-MATCH COVERAGE:

JULIAN DE GUZMAN

Unfortunately due to all but one of the players escaping to the team bus while the media was penned up in the press conference, the only video we have for you today is a scrum interview with Julian De Guzman.

You know, that's too bad. It's not like they're going to be attacked or embarrassed publicly at this level of media coverage. It would do wonders for the program if they were all available, win or lose, to pump up the program (even if it is largely sporting cliches, one step at a time, we're learning each other, etc). Get the mainstream press and the people you want to convert to supporters to know the cast a bit better, and maybe the promotion of the next set of home friendlies becomes easier.

How to cheer for players if you don't know them?

At least JdG recognizes the need for the press to feed the monster.

So, what were you saying about character? Ironically, the guy singled out by one out spoken pundit as having little of it is the only guy to speak. Where was our team captain?

So, what were you saying about character? Ironically, the guy singled out by one out spoken pundit as having little of it is the only guy to speak. Where was our team captain?

I didn't mean to imply that the team purposefully ran away from the media.

The players simply made their way to the bus while the media were questioning both coaches after the match. Sorry for any confusion. It was a simple conflicting of timing.

Hey Guys,

Video interviews from this morning's training session at Saputo Stadium are now up:

HONDURAS PRE-MATCH:

IAIN HUME

http://www.youtube.com/rednationonlinetv#p/u/3/rS_rvjetA0E

JOSH SIMPSON

http://www.youtube.com/rednationonlinetv#p/u/2/9tcg4nzMRAc

WILL JOHNSON

http://www.youtube.com/rednationonlinetv#p/u/1/Si9NVLZNxao

SIMEON JACKSON

http://www.youtube.com/rednationonlinetv#p/u/0/JydzJ4-h5Y8

More to come post-match tomorrow.

Cheers,

MB