Wouldn't it be nice if ......

Robert

1) Wouldn't it be nice if the CSA organized a couple of home games this for the senior men's national team? Well the CSA has done their part on this one.

2) Wouldn't it be nice if Canadian soccer fans turned out to watch these matches in large numbers, so that it would be financially worthwhile for the CSA to arrange some more home games next year?

3) Wouldn't it be nice if if the Canadian players got a couple of positive results in these two matches to snap their over a year-long winless streak?

4) Wouldn't it be nice if one of next year's home matches was played at BC Place. The work on the new roof is looking pretty impressive. World-class I'd say.

5) Wouldn't it be nice if the four afore mentioned things came true and paved the way for the Canadian Men's National Team to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Ahhh, one can only dream of a perfect world can't they.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Wouldn't it be nice if the CSA organized a couple of home games this for the senior men's national team? Well the CSA has done their part on this one.

2) Wouldn't it be nice if Canadian soccer fans turned out to watch these matches in large numbers, so that it would be financially worthwhile for the CSA to arrange some more home games next year?

3) Wouldn't it be nice if if the Canadian players got a couple of positive results in these two matches to snap their over a year-long winless streak?

4) Wouldn't it be nice if one of next year's home matches was played at BC Place. The work on the new roof is looking pretty impressive. World-class I'd say.

5) Wouldn't it be nice if the four afore mentioned things came true and paved the way for the Canadian Men's National Team to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Ahhh, one can only dream of a perfect world can't they.

So what did you smoke today?

Vancouver will get some games if only for the fact that it's the only venue capable of hosting games during the winter. The Nov 11 - 15th FIFA date in 2011 would be a good bet either to host a friendly or a WCQ match.

With the undersoil heating system at BMO Field, Toronto is capable of hosting games at that time of year. The time zone differential and artificial surface at BC Place are the biggest obstacles to games being played in Vancouver, but one thing going in that city's favour is the arrival of MLS. The growth in popularity of the Whitecaps will have spin-off benefits for the CMNT, which hopefully offset the above obstacles.

Vancouver will get some games if only for the fact that it's the only venue capable of hosting games during the winter. The Nov 11 - 15th FIFA date in 2011 would be a good bet either to host a friendly or a WCQ match.

This. All the way. Why would the lads prefer playing in the snow away rather than a cool rain in front of their own? C'mon. Make it happen.

Talk about head games, eh?

Point #1 was a success.

Point #2 the jury is still out. 10,619 in Toronto and 7,525 in Montreal have become benchmarks. It will be interesting to see if Vancouver can get a match next year, and how many fans we could put in 60,000 seats given a similar opponent. Hopefully, the gate receipt will encourage the CSA to arrange more home matches next year.

Point #3 also has the jury out. It was great to snap the winless streak against Honduras.

Sorry. No games at BC Place.

We build the home crowd in TO and Montreal for WCQ.

Grass all the way.

Everything else on your list is coming true.

I think that it's important that the MNT not shut out the rest of the country. Vancouver hosting some WCQ games is a good idea, but we can't forget about Edmonton too. With many of our players based in MLS, I see the time zone issue becoming less important. Also, being winless at BMO isn't making it anymore inviting to me.

Okay, I'll get drawn into this Eastcoast/Westcoast thing that you easterns seem to be into.

It's funny how quickly Torontonians change their tune. It wasn't so long ago that they were hyping the artificial turf at BMO. All I can say is the final decision on the surface at BC Place has not yet been made, but spending $600 MILLION on a retractable roof? Why would this be done? Some sun and rain for an artificial surface? Humm. As to the attendances for the recent Toronto and Montreal games, well they haven't improved much since Canada played Honduras in 1985. (Tomoorow will be the 25th anniversary of that match.) The Toronto game just shows Torontonians support Toronto, but not Canada as much. If that game was played at BC Place there would have been at least 25,000 fans in the seats. Yes, there's a few more time zones to travel, but in soccer $$$ talk and empty seats in TO is not what the CSA is looking for.

It would be nice to have a MNT game out west... I know that I'd be a lot more likely to make the trip from Edmonton to Vancouver for the games (already considering going to some Whitecaps games next year....).

The cost of GM Place isn't all for soccer... From the best of my understanding they're working on building a soccer specific stadium in the next 4-5 years. The Lions will play there for the most part.

25,000? You mean, for the cost of the flights for players plus a few CSA folks, they could have had an additional $60,000 in gate revenue ($40 a head, 15,000 more attendance)? CSA willingly gives up that kind of money?

I'm all for Van having their fair share of games. I think they should get the next one that can be lined up, if Empire Field is available. But let's not get carried away, here.

Hopefully it isn't the general sentiment that Torontonians don't appreciate and value friendlies. These matches should definately not be played there if it is. I would also support the idea of the Men's National Team playing their matches in Canadian cities other than Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa and Winnipeg should all be give a chance to see what kind of crowds they could draw. The crowds in those communities would probably be more pro-Canadian than is the case in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. The cities showing the greatest support in numbers as well as patriotism should be rewarded with the home matches in World Cup qualifying. I'm sure our boys would perfom better in front of the largest, partisan crowd we canb muster.

Unfortunately Ottawa is fairly out of commission for this scale of event until the new stadium is built at Lansdowne which will still be a while... In the long run though I think Ottawa would be a great venue for WCQ and friendlies, it is the nation's capital after all. Conveniently located close enough to TO and Mtl as well

This is where the speculation thread on friendlies dates and the thread on new stadia would be useful.

Winnipeg - 2012 opening date

Regina - there was talk of a new stadium, probably with a retractable roof, don't know where that stands

Edmonton - recently rebuilt and ready (turf field)

Vancouver - Empire (field is supposed to be a legacy, dunno about the stands; BC Place not available until probably after the Grey Cup 2011)

Calgary?

Anywhere else in BC?

Ottawa - I don't know where the planning stands on Lansdowne

Moncton - as I stated elsewhere, that seems like a good idea

Hamilton - if they ever sort it out

London - ?

Other Maritimes location?

PS somewhere on this board it's been speculated that CSA is contemplating a friendly Nov 17, the next FIFA date. If it were at home, maybe that's the first opportunity for Vancouver.

Archived