Future NCC format?

Surely FC Edmonton will keep bringing on international teams people have heard of for the Edmonton Cup, no? The Vancouver Whitecaps aren't nearly so exotic to the casual fan, and half the hardcores probably saw the Whitecaps playing the Aviators ten years ago.

If there's a blank on the schedule, it's probably in case FC Edmonton beats Toronto and has to play in the final.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the "Edmonton Cup"? A friendly cup competition? Frankly, I doubt we would travel in numbers if it's not a competitive match.

The Canadian Championship not only crowns the best Canadian club, but it's admission into the CONCACAF Champions League. We would travel in large numbers for that sort of a match.

But for a friendly? Not so much.

Stones, glass houses? You lot send between zero and two people to Vancouver for matches.

Plus, we'll be in MLS next season. Numbers will swell from D2 standards, darling.

Out of all people who would brag about having more of what is perceived as "plastic fans" at games, the Southsiders are the least likley choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Clearly late April, early May.

Maybe a fist set of games on Wednesday April 27th - Montreal plays on the 23rd and then the 1st and Edmonton on the 20th and the 1st (don't know what the MLS schedule is).

And the final Wednesday May 4th - Montreal plays on the 1st and the 14th & Edmonton plays on the 1st and 7th.

• 3 weeks later...

MLS schedule out today; shouldn't be long until we get the Voyageurs Cup fixtures.

EDIT: Will be released in the next couple of weeks, according to Joey Saputo. Sounds like NASL's Div2 sanctioning might hold things up.... although if that takes too long, the CSA could simply sanction Montreal and Edmonton to play in the Voyageurs Cup.

Read into it what you will, but Ticketmaster has Voyageurs Cup matches between "Vancouver and Montreal" as well as "Vancouver and Toronto", dates TBA.

Oh, and the NASL was sanctioned for the 2011 season by the USSF today, so hopefully we should get the official fixtures from the CSA in the coming days.

EDIT: schedule "coming soon", says the CSA on Twitter.

I'm not sure I'm clear on the new format... can someone confirm for me? That it's 4 against 1 and 3 against 2, in two legged series, then the winners in another two legged series.

If this is the case... how are the seedings determined? Last year's finish in respective leagues?

Edmonton vs Toronto and Vancouver vs Montreal. I think it will be good for soccer in Edmonton to have TFC show up. That will be one way to gather attention for the new club and rallying the people who call themselves City of Champions to join their ranks against the evil empire, center of the universe TFC. I sure hope there's no upset in the making... not. Go Edmonton! :)

I'd hazard a guess that unless Edmonton wins it this year, they will be the #4 seed again next year. They will be the only non-MLS team in the competition.

I doubt they'll punish Edmonton just for being the only non-MLS team. More likely, they'll have some tie-breaker format (ie goal-differential, goals for, goals against, etc) and use that to determine which of the two semi-final losers from this year seeded 3rd and 4th for next year.

Archived