Future NCC format?

Seems you missed Vancouver joining MLS. They will have much more national media coverage than Montreal will in 2011.

You seriously believe NASL Montreal would bring more travelling support to Edmonton than MLS Vancouver? What do they put in that Lloydminster water?

I am well aware of the Whitecaps joining MLS. They will have more national media coverage yes. However, from the casual sports fan, this would be like the Tampa Bay Rays as opposed to the Detroit Tigers. The Rays have a glut of major coverage now that they are good. However, the history isn't there. Either way, I will plan to make it up for Voyageurs Cup games. But I think Montreal and Toronto would help sell tickets in Edmonton. Actually, with Toronto FC, they might draw a fairly decent crowd at Commonwealth.

Are there really that many ardent Whitecaps fans? With Thunderbird Stadium only seating around 5,000 are there really that many supporters groups that would travel to Edmonton for the game? Seems to me the Impact have a bigger traveling supporters group than Vancouver. Now of course distance might prevent the Impact fans from traveling.

Either way, I guess L'Impact will still play in Edmonton during the regular NASL season. But depending when the NASL regular season game is played (and the potential outcome), it could factor into the CCL match. Either way, I hope for a TFC matchup with FCE. That will help them draw the best crowd and help them financially.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^I would recommend that you stop now while you're only slightly behind, as opposed to continuing to dig yourself into a deeper hole by posting more misguided, ill-informed, and just plain incorrect statements.

Instead of saying this. Why not educate me? Instead of calling me crazy, tell me what is wrong with what I am saying. For soccer to ever be successful and grow in this country you need to bring in fans like me. Trust me, from casual soccer fans like myself this is the perception. So the only way to change the perception is to do something about it. However, because MLSE and to a lesser extent Saputo have done a good job of espousing this incorrect info, this is the perception.

To take this as a hockey example Vancouver might be a good team, but in the casual soccer fan's mind they are the LA Kings, they may have heard of them but they don't know much about them. However, the Impact are the Habs and TFC are the Leafs, they have bigger name cache. I just think from an economic standpoint, both would draw larger crowds than the Whitecaps. Plus I would think FC Edmonton would want the best bang for their local buck. They want a crowd that become FC Edmonton fans because of the bigger name draws.

Instead of saying this. Why not educate me? Instead of calling me crazy, tell me what is wrong with what I am saying. For soccer to ever be successful and grow in this country you need to bring in fans like me. Trust me, from casual soccer fans like myself this is the perception. So the only way to change the perception is to do something about it. However, because MLSE and to a lesser extent Saputo have done a good job of espousing this incorrect info, this is the perception.

To take this as a hockey example Vancouver might be a good team, but in the casual soccer fan's mind they are the LA Kings, they may have heard of them but they don't know much about them. However, the Impact are the Habs and TFC are the Leafs, they have bigger name cache. I just think from an economic standpoint, both would draw larger crowds than the Whitecaps. Plus I would think FC Edmonton would want the best bang for their local buck. They want a crowd that become FC Edmonton fans because of the bigger name draws.

Most people would not feel the same way about the Vancouver Whitecaps as you, considering they are one of the oldest soccer teams in North America with a rich history of on field success and support.

Not only that, but FC Edmonton will be playing Montreal during the regular season, and since you like hockey as well... Think back three seasons ago when every team in the same division played each other eight times a season. Even games between the Oilers and Calgary were getting old, as well as the Leafs, the Habs, and the Sens. So common, so cheap.

Your opinion of Vancouver is defenentily not the same opinion, I would guess the rest, of us have.

Most people would not feel the same way about the Vancouver Whitecaps as you, considering the are one of the oldest soccer teams in North America with a rich history of on field success and support.

Not only that, but FC Edmonton will be playing Montreal during the regular season, and since you like hockey as well... Think back three seasons ago when every team in the same division played each other eight times a season. Even games between the Oilers and Calgary were getting old, as well as the Leafs, the Habs, and the Sens. So common, so cheap.

Your opinion of Vancouver is defenentily not the same opinion, I would guess the rest, of us have.

Fair enough. I didn't know the history in the Whitecaps.

But I gather part of what I am saying is being missed partially because I am talking about the non-diehards, whereas most people here are diehards. The reason I ended up on this forum was not a love of soccer, but rather it was a place to discuss the CMISL. So I'm thinking I'm one of the fans that FC Edmonton would love to convert to a diehard. I'm a huge sports fan, other than in soccer. I have disposable income and am willing to drive 2 hours on a whim to take in a game (even lower end leagues like the NLL and GBL). Once I get into a sport, I buy merchandise like crazy and follow it as best as I can. I recently got into Gaelic Football so I pay $15.99 per month to subscribe to Setanta for a sport that is at best shown once a week during the All-Ireland season.

I'm thinking outside of the GVR (or maybe BC) the Whitecaps are the "third" Canadian team. From TV coverage, outside of the NCC games, I don't think I saw a single Whitecaps game on TV here. The only Whitecaps thing I've noticed is Sportsnet Pacific runs a halfhour weekly show called Whitecaps This Week. Compare that to Toronto FC, where you can't turn around on any of the soccer channels and not hear about them. CBC shows most (if not all) of their games on national television. Merchandise is available in most sports stores nationwide. The Impact have the majority of their games covered on SRC. Granted, I may be overestimating the people who don't speak French that might take notice of programming on SRC. This is how I gather most casual sports fans would see the Whitecaps.

Perhaps I am way off base, but from a business standpoint, I would think FC Edmonton would want to bring in fans like me. The diehard soccer fans will be there regardless, the people who play the game would be more likely to attend. But the Oiler/Eskimo/Capital/Rush fans are the ones that they need to target. With the way supporter groups travel, perhaps Vancouver would still bring in a bunch of Southside Boys (I did do some research this afternoon ;)). But those are one game only fans for FC Edmonton. What they need to do is showcase the NCC games as marquee matchups that draw fans like me. I think Toronto FC would be best for this and Montreal the next best.

Regardless, if Vancouver is who FC Edmonton draws, I will try my best to make it up. The one small problem with the NCC games is that they are midweek, so with work and whatnot, it is hard to make a non-Saturday night game. But regardless, unless they kickoff at 6 or something, I will be there at Foote Field. I am going to give FC Edmonton and outdoor soccer in general a go.

Fair enough. I didn't know the history in the Whitecaps.

But I gather part of what I am saying is being missed partially because I am talking about the non-diehards, whereas most people here are diehards. The reason I ended up on this forum was not a love of soccer, but rather it was a place to discuss the CMISL. So I'm thinking I'm one of the fans that FC Edmonton would love to convert to a diehard. I'm a huge sports fan, other than in soccer. I have disposable income and am willing to drive 2 hours on a whim to take in a game (even lower end leagues like the NLL and GBL). Once I get into a sport, I buy merchandise like crazy and follow it as best as I can. I recently got into Gaelic Football so I pay $15.99 per month to subscribe to Setanta for a sport that is at best shown once a week during the All-Ireland season.

I'm thinking outside of the GVR (or maybe BC) the Whitecaps are the "third" Canadian team. From TV coverage, outside of the NCC games, I don't think I saw a single Whitecaps game on TV here. The only Whitecaps thing I've noticed is Sportsnet Pacific runs a halfhour weekly show called Whitecaps This Week. Compare that to Toronto FC, where you can't turn around on any of the soccer channels and not hear about them. CBC shows most (if not all) of their games on national television. Merchandise is available in most sports stores nationwide. The Impact have the majority of their games covered on SRC. Granted, I may be overestimating the people who don't speak French that might take notice of programming on SRC. This is how I gather most casual sports fans would see the Whitecaps.

Perhaps I am way off base, but from a business standpoint, I would think FC Edmonton would want to bring in fans like me. The diehard soccer fans will be there regardless, the people who play the game would be more likely to attend. But the Oiler/Eskimo/Capital/Rush fans are the ones that they need to target. With the way supporter groups travel, perhaps Vancouver would still bring in a bunch of Southside Boys (I did do some research this afternoon ;)). But those are one game only fans for FC Edmonton. What they need to do is showcase the NCC games as marquee matchups that draw fans like me. I think Toronto FC would be best for this and Montreal the next best.

Regardless, if Vancouver is who FC Edmonton draws, I will try my best to make it up. The one small problem with the NCC games is that they are midweek, so with work and whatnot, it is hard to make a non-Saturday night game. But regardless, unless they kickoff at 6 or something, I will be there at Foote Field. I am going to give FC Edmonton and outdoor soccer in general a go.

You are right on a few counts, and I mean that FC Edmonton would love to convert casual fans into die hard supporters. FC Edmonton has a lot to gain from individuals like you who take up their banner and become emotionally attatched. I am a big sports guy too, and it looks like we have a lot in common by what you said.

As far as TFC, Les Impact, and the Whitecaps, you must understand that Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment own GOLTV. That channel loves itself. It doesn't broadcast any Impact stuff, but it does give the Whitecaps time. Not that I read into it, because I don't. But the Whitecaps are big. They will have CBC time as well as Rodgers time this MLS season.

I see where Shootmaster_44 would guess about Montreal being a bigger draw, but I think an important factor here is the just the fact that Vancouver will be an MLS team. The casual fan who has a small working knowledge of soccer will understand that MLS is the highest professional league in North America, and will be attracted to that. However I think for Year One (for FC Edmonton and Vancouver) its will be more beneficial for the more mainstream Toronto to play. More people will be know who they are.

Aaww, the older brother is sad no one pays attention to them!

I don't see whats so offbase in his thoughts? He's saying the country sees Montreal and TFC as the top dogs in the country, which after TFC's years of MLS coverage being hammered into them by CBC for years, and Montreal's national French language telecast, LdC run, high profile friendlies, controversial nature certainly isn't too far off the truth.

No one cares about the team that performs solidly year after year, day in and day out in obscurity. There's a reason why not many people notice the St Louis Blues had a streak of 25 consecutive playoff qualifications. It's amazingly impressive, but it doesn't catch eyes.

WFC has a great club structure, but that doesn't exactly win over the masses.

Also, Forever thursday, it's not Les Impact, it's L'impact. It's not pluralized, so it would be Le Impact, but then two vowels directly across the word boundary leads to contraction, L'Impact.

^I would recommend that you stop now while you're only slightly behind, as opposed to continuing to dig yourself into a deeper hole by posting more misguided, ill-informed, and just plain incorrect statements.

I don't understand this. How is relating his experience misguided, ill-informed or incorrect? This is one of the rare cases where we're not speaking in hypotheticals. From his experience, TFC (and then maybe Montreal) are bigger draws for casual fans like him. It doesn't matter what is in store for the Whitecaps 4, 6 or 8 months down the road, because as things stand right now, this is the situation. If FCE want to attract casual fans who do not dissect the minutiae of the Canadian soccer scene, then they should hope they get TFC or IMFC.

Gots to side with El Hombre and Trident on this one. I feel that sometimes the new guys on this forum get overlooked, when they have the best possible perspective on what the current situation in Canadian Soccer is. While its all great for us to follow our respective teams, and natter on about the national teams, average joe on the street has no clue. Sad fact is that Toronto is FC Edmonton's chance to get some serious attention from media and the average soccer fan. Lets hope that with more teams, the NCC will become more popular and more watched, and more Canadians will be able to understand, appreciate and follow teams nationally.

To Trident: I actually had a conversation with people at work about how the education system has failed us... All the guys I worked with could remember the "Cadillac Ranch" line dance, but remembered NO french, even though we're required to take it during elementry in Edmonton. Line dancing. Very high on the list of marketable skills when we grew up.

I don't understand this. How is relating his experience misguided, ill-informed or incorrect? This is one of the rare cases where we're not speaking in hypotheticals. From his experience, TFC (and then maybe Montreal) are bigger draws for casual fans like him. It doesn't matter what is in store for the Whitecaps 4, 6 or 8 months down the road, because as things stand right now, this is the situation. If FCE want to attract casual fans who do not dissect the minutiae of the Canadian soccer scene, then they should hope they get TFC or IMFC.

Discounting that the 'Caps played in front of 50,000 non-die hard fans in the Beckham game at Commonwealth a couple of years ago, suggesting that the 'Caps lack the history of the Impact (comparing the longest continually active professional club in Canada/USA to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays?), and then talking about the capacity of Thunderbird Stadium? You're right, I shouldn't have suggested that he was either ill-informed or that his information was inaccurate.

Vancouver Whitecaps is a name that people recognise. I base this on a lifetime of travel and interaction with football fans wherever I've been. Suggesting that having a few games on CBC French gives the Impact a higher profile with Oiler and Eskimo fans seems pretty ludicrous to me. TFC has had a higher national profile since their inception because they're in MLS and come from the media center in the country. Vancouver moving to MLS will mitigate that somewhat. I'll happy to stand by my presumption that the 'Caps would be a far bigger draw in Edmonton that Montreal, though, both in home and visiting support.

Discounting that the 'Caps played in front of 50,000 non-die hard fans in the Beckham game at Commonwealth a couple of years ago, suggesting that the 'Caps lack the history of the Impact (comparing the longest continually active professional club in Canada/USA to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays?), and then talking about the capacity of Thunderbird Stadium? You're right, I shouldn't have suggested that he was either ill-informed or that his information was inaccurate.

Alright, no need to be a prick about things.

What I was trying to say is why are you calling into question this man's experience? You are talking in hypotheticals whereas for this particular poster, he is saying that TFC and Montreal are bigger draws for him. And he's from Edmonton. So, if they want to get the casual fan like him he's suggesting that other teams would be bigger draws. Also, the fact that he didn't know the multitude of facts you just spit out just proves his point.

Yes, at some point hopefully Vancouver will have the exposure and name recognition that TFC currently enjoys, but that is not the case right now. Ergo, Vancouver wouldn't be the best possible situation for FCE.

Now if your contention is that this guy is not an accurate representation of the casual fan in Edmonton, say that rather than being all snobby and dismissive.

Alright, no need to be a prick about things.

What I was trying to say is why are you calling into question this man's experience? You are talking in hypotheticals whereas for this particular poster, he is saying that TFC and Montreal are bigger draws for him. And he's from Edmonton. So, if they want to get the casual fan like him he's suggesting that other teams would be bigger draws. Also, the fact that he didn't know the multitude of facts you just spit out just proves his point.

Yes, at some point hopefully Vancouver will have the exposure and name recognition that TFC currently enjoys, but that is not the case right now. Ergo, Vancouver wouldn't be the best possible situation for FCE.

Now if your contention is that this guy is not an accurate representation of the casual fan in Edmonton, say that rather than being all snobby and dismissive.

You've posted here since 04 and never noticed Vancouver's little man syndrome? It doesnt matter one guy was only stating his view and clearly saying it was only his view, Vancouver cats have to take it the wrong way and defend their club.

Gots to side with El Hombre and Trident on this one. I feel that sometimes the new guys on this forum get overlooked, when they have the best possible perspective on what the current situation in Canadian Soccer is. While its all great for us to follow our respective teams, and natter on about the national teams, average joe on the street has no clue. Sad fact is that Toronto is FC Edmonton's chance to get some serious attention from media and the average soccer fan. Lets hope that with more teams, the NCC will become more popular and more watched, and more Canadians will be able to understand, appreciate and follow teams nationally.

To Trident: I actually had a conversation with people at work about how the education system has failed us... All the guys I worked with could remember the "Cadillac Ranch" line dance, but remembered NO french, even though we're required to take it during elementry in Edmonton. Line dancing. Very high on the list of marketable skills when we grew up.

I never went to school in Canada with the exception of some university. I am trying to learn some French just from my own sense of curiosity.

I wanted to see Edmonton matched up against Vancouver because Vancouver has a little history in Edmonton already, and I like the fierce rivalry that the Whitecaps have with the Sounders and the Timbers. Vancouver needs a good neighbor Canadian rival, and Toronto and Montreal are not that. They (Toronto & Montreal) are the fat girl you date because the only other girl in your class was already taken.

I never went to school in Canada with the exception of some university. I am trying to learn some French just from my own sense of curiosity.

I wanted to see Edmonton matched up against Vancouver because Vancouver has a little history in Edmonton already, and I like the fierce rivalry that the Whitecaps have with the Sounders and the Timbers. Vancouver needs a good neighbor Canadian rival, and Toronto and Montreal are not that. They (Toronto & Montreal) are the fat girl you date because the only other girl in your class was already taken.

How lovely. Someone call our Mum, England and tell her that Vancouver finally found someone to pay attention to them! You guys use protection now, don't forget.

Really wouldn't know... never had that problem myself.

Damn... never thought I'd see the day where Richard sits some dude the fuck down

EDIT: Wait... what happened with the deal I brokered with mods concerning swearwords? Did it go back to "normal" with the big changes that have happened?

I know I had one of the administrators to give in and change the lame "****" to autofiltered approximations like fvck to frigg, and ****(EDIT2:I can't even say sh!t? Damn.) like that?

If you can't swear on a forum like this... what's the point?

• 3 weeks later...
I honestly don't give a toss about the format... I just want a competitive match away to FC Edmonton. :(

There might be hope for that yet.

on the FC Edmonton boards, there was a discussion about season tickets, and there was a gap in the schedule.

Alright, so I've also bought my tickets... I got the information for anyone who may be lurking on this thread... Plus it'll let ya know what you signed up for Thursday! Very Happy

Price for General Admission: $330 (includes tax)

What you get:

14 Regular Season Games

2 Bonus events (one being the Nutrilight Championship against Toronto FC)

1 FC Edmonton Scarf

Comes out to be around $21 a game, plus you get a scarf (Andrew also stated that he might be able to sub in a t-shirt since I already have a scarf)

Well there is one blank game in there which I assume will be the Edmonton Cup.

I would love to see it be against Vancouver Whitecaps. For many reasons.

1. Rivalry

2. Vancouver still has a love for the NASL's vision for North American soccer.

3. We get to see an MLS team for the trophy

4. We play all Canadian teams

5. I doubt it would cost nearly as much to bring the Whitecaps in then International teams

6. Their fans will show up

7. A match up like that could be a yearly tradition (important)

8. The atmosphere will be great and the only thing that would need to happen is to advertise it well, seeing how Vancouver has a history in this city already.

9. I would love to see it.

Archived