Future NCC format?

It really stinks for us in Edmonton, because a home game against any of these teams would have been a great selling point and a real big treat for those who wanted to see the Canadian teams that have been popularizing the sport with the average Canadian sports fan.

Can't disagree with that. This tournament is indeed important to the health of the pro game across the country.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest piltdownmanWC

Whilst I'm disappointed that the Whitecaps likely won't be playing Edmonton I like this format. Seeded Two-legged rounds is the fairest way to go. I also like that it leaves plenty of room for expansion. So in a couple season they can add the PDL/CSL/PCSL earlier in the mix.

How is any elite semi-pro or amateur team supposed to justify trying to grow if they don't have competitive matches on the schedule against clubs from bigger leagues? Clearly a good showing against a team from a higher level can help build the profile of such a club within its own community and demonstrate the need for a decent stadium.

But who says that those teams want to grow. If you owned team XXX and happened by a guy who happens to own an auto dealership or doughnut store franchise And you have a love for the game and have a little bit of left over savings that you spend on a semi pro team. Are you suggesting that such person or club aspires to grow into an MLS club? and have its own stadium?

This is a shame !!!

The Voyageurs Cup always was a championship, and awarded to the champion of Canada, unofficial the first years, and officially since 2008.

The soul of the Voyageurs Cup is being stolen !

Canada had a national championship, unofficial for several years thanks to the Voyageurs, then official.

With this decision (one of the most stupids in Canadian soccer history), we lose it.

We are the lone developed country not to have our national championship.

It gets from 3 to 4 teams and we disband it.

What a shame !!! We are under the soccer poverty threshold.

Now, we have a national cup, yes...

But a national cup with 4 teams is still more ridiculous that a national championship with 3 teams.

Shame, shame, shame, shame, shame !

^ Correct, but FCE is a club that would want to grow. Having each of the 3 "big" clubs visiting Edmonton would have given them a nice boost. I understand the scheduling logistics but am disappointed nonetheless.

If you saw the stadium we play in you might not think that. That thing, on TV, helps no one.

If you saw the stadium we play in you might not think that. That thing, on TV, helps no one.

I'll agree with that. Interestingly, they have a poll on their website asking where the fans want a SSS. It'd be nice if they built one within a year to give them some more legitimacy.

I disagree with you jloome on this one. If the cameras were pointed at the assigned seating side with the press box and the corporate box(s), then the stadium stands out. It is a nice faculity, but the field is brutal because it is multi-sport marked. It is brutal even for Canadian style football fans because of the soccer, field hocket, lacross, and football lines hogging the turf surface. If they could change the markings on the turf easily, and if they could add more assigned seating under the general seating with maybe some overhead protection from the elements for all seating, then Foote Field would be superb! It is right next to the LRT, It has a fair amount of parking, and the faculity is newer and in great shape. It would be so much cheaper to throw a couple million at Foote Field then to build a thirty million soccer specific stadium, even though I really want a soccer specific stadium.

I started to reply to this thread yesterday. I was all fired up and ready to defend poor Edmonton getting the shaft. I feared the loss of the, "soul of the Voyageurs Cup" to some sort of money-grubbing intent.

And then I paused for a day and came back to it.

Many of us have long proposed an FA Cup or US Open Cup style tournament to join together the different levels of pro soccer in Canada. The Voyageur Cup was never about a specific format and in fact for the most part it had no format at all since it was simply a mathematical competition based on play between Canadian teams in one league.

When TFC came along and the CSA came up with a format to choose a CONCAF Champions league entry based on a competition between the three pro clubs we were happy to donate the Cup.

It seems to me that adding FCE as a fourth team they needed to adjust the format again and doing it this way makes it more like the FA Cup model. Teams enter the competition and play a series of home-and-home match-ups to advance. Sure it kinda sucks right now but think of how easy it will be in future to add more teams without placing undue stress on the schedule.

As for the seeding, well, in England teams enter the cup based on their rankings in the FA system according to leagues. A team from the fourth division could eventually play a Premier League team but not in the early rounds.

I totally sympathize with FCE supporters who were looking forward to meaningful games against the three teams but if you look at it in terms of the whole country I think the format is a good thing for the future.

Besides, we all know TFC will crumble and you will be playing Vancouver for the Cup. ;)

they could not wait a year? Sure this is necessary "down the line", but not with the addition of a team.

This means that only 1 meaningful match is guaranteed to happen in Montreal. And if we take the hardest route to the finals, it wont even be a home game, unless the team playing it's 6th ever match beats tfc.

People say its good this cup is helping out MLS congestion. Nice, but it has never agreed well with the NASL schedule, and has never tried. The tournament takes place so early, MLS teams have already been playing competitively for much longer.

People say its good this cup is helping out MLS congestion. Nice, but it has never agreed well with the NASL schedule, and has never tried. The tournament takes place so early, MLS teams have already been playing competitively for much longer.

In the first year of the "Official" Canadian Championship it only started in late May and ended in late July. CONCACAF allowed that for one year since it was pretty much thrown together after the league schedules were released, but since then they've insisted that the V Cup be decided much earlier.

As it is, Canada is still the final nation to finalize its entrant into the CCL.

God, I hope not. Two-legged finals are awful and can be very anti-climactic.

God, I hope not. Two-legged finals are awful and can be very anti-climactic.

Voyageurs Cups have always been close except for that one time the Trois-Rivieres Attak played a game. I'm not worried about anti-climax when Vancouver plays Edmonton in a two-legged final!

In the first year of the "Official" Canadian Championship it only started in late May and ended in late July. CONCACAF allowed that for one year since it was pretty much thrown together after the league schedules were released, but since then they've insisted that the V Cup be decided much earlier.

So if nothing can be done to equalise it for NASL teams, why should MLS be considered when redesigning the tournament? It's bad enough NASL can't be helped at all, without reducing the "pressure" on MLS players.

So if nothing can be done to equalise it for NASL teams, why should MLS be considered when redesigning the tournament? It's bad enough NASL can't be helped at all, without reducing the "pressure" on MLS players.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. What evidence do you have that the NASL teams were not also concerned with the number of games a continued round robin format would add to their schedules?

Both MLS and NASL would have to be considered when designing a tournament format. It's not the CSA's fault that NASL starts its season so late compared to MLS. They still have a hard deadline to adhere to.

of course TFC fans don't mind one legged finals . Because this year they are the only ones who would benefit from this. I'm sure it wold be a different story if that were not the case.

No.

Two-legged finals are awful. I have no problem with TFC traveling to Stade Saputo for a one-off final if that's what it came down to.

Many of us have long proposed an FA Cup or US Open Cup style tournament to join together the different levels of pro soccer in Canada. The Voyageur Cup was never about a specific format and in fact for the most part it had no format at all since it was simply a mathematical competition based on play between Canadian teams in one league.

This.

There are many ways to designate a champion, and none of the VCup formats are sacred by any means. Hell, in 2007, TFC didn't even participate!

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. What evidence do you have that the NASL teams were not also concerned with the number of games a continued round robin format would add to their schedules?

I'm saying how in most reports on this change, they mention the positives for the MLS teams. No where is there a positive for NASL teams. FCE loses the exposure they pretty much made the team for, and IMFC loses the guaranteed fun of Toronto home and away.

Montreal and Toronto supporters seem disappointed with the pairings as well.

Hopefully the CSA is aware of this, and goes with what the supporters actually want: Vancouver-Edmonton and Toronto-Montreal.

I wouldn't consider myself a supporter of FC Edmonton, but since I might be the fan the CSA would want to attract to these games. The casual soccer fan who given the right atmosphere for first major outdoor game might become a hardcore fan. I would say it is imperative for Edmonton to either play Toronto or Montreal. Both of those clubs carry way more weight as far as the casual fanbase would be concerned. As well, I think both have large established supporters groups who would travel to Edmonton for the game.

As far as Vancouver goes, they are the forgotten club as far as the casual fan goes. I am aware they exist and all, but they have little coverage on television here. The national media tends to ignore them as far as Sportscentre etc. are concerned. Having the Vancouver Whitecaps play in Edmonton wouldn't boost ticket sales and thus possibly converting casual fans to diehards. Toronto FC would be the best choice for that traction, but Montreal would be a good second choice.

Archived