Future NCC format?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why would you hate it. have you seen how poorly TFC play. maybe a PDL or CSL team can due what many say is the impossible & beat TFC!!!!!! do you know how much publicity it would generate. The negative publicity for TFC, and the positive for PDL or CSL. Publicity is what is needed in Canada for soccer to grow. Look @ Hockey, everywhere you look it's about hockey. And Canadians...mostly the media still bring up the 1972 Series CDA vs USSR. If it wasn't for the media would many of us really care. So lets push our media stations to update date weekly CSL scores. Let us know how our Cdn PDL & NASL teams are doing. Lets hear how Cdns abroad are doing.....and the end of the day it's up to us to pressure media to give us what we want. Not what they think we want.

LOL

Did you see how that same crappy TFC team cruised through this year's Voyageurs Cup tournament against NASL teams? What do you think would happen versus PDL/CSL sides?

Now that Vancouver is in MLS, those low level teams have even less of a chance.

I'd love a true "open" competition with seeding and season-long playdowns, but until that happens only D2 or higher need apply.

LOL

Did you see how that same crappy TFC team cruised through this year's Voyageurs Cup tournament against NASL teams? What do you think would happen versus PDL/CSL sides?

Now that Vancouver is in MLS, those low level teams have even less of a chance.

I'd love a true "open" competition with seeding and season-long playdowns, but until that happens only D2 or higher need apply.

Isn't the point of an open CUP to allow anyone in. Like in golf, the 3 open tournamnets. many times the unknown players have outperformed many of the ranked players. they may have not won the championship but they callenged. it's the unknown that generates interest. as i already mentioned, the unknown, the unexpected, the impossible is what gets people interested. isn't that what we all want. i thought joining the forum was about finding ways to grow the sport. many ideas are outrageous. but it's better than what i'm hearing from the CSA, CSL, PDL......

so, LOL to TFC losing to a lower seed should be more than enough to let the lower seeds show what they have.....who knows......if their willing to take a lashing from an MLS or NASL let them, wo are we to deny them the opportunity to prove us all wrong.

Isn't the point of an open CUP to allow anyone in. Like in golf, the 3 open tournamnets. many times the unknown players have outperformed many of the ranked players. they may have not won the championship but they callenged. it's the unknown that generates interest. as i already mentioned, the unknown, the unexpected, the impossible is what gets people interested. isn't that what we all want. i thought joining the forum was about finding ways to grow the sport. many ideas are outrageous. but it's better than what i'm hearing from the CSA, CSL, PDL......

so, LOL to TFC losing to a lower seed should be more than enough to let the lower seeds show what they have.....who knows......if their willing to take a lashing from an MLS or NASL let them, wo are we to deny them the opportunity to prove us all wrong.

The reality of the situation is that the Voyageurs Cup competition is not an "open" cup, and it never has been. It's always been a top tier tournament, even back when it was just this group awarding it to teams based on regular season fixtures.

If it is ever to be a true open tournament, it'll have to evolve from the top down, as it is now. I love tournaments like the FA Cup, but I just don't see lower league teams clamouring to join, nor do I see the CSA clamouring to invite them. The bar for the participating V Cup sides has been set very high, and the CSA is rightfully concerned about lowering the bar so early.

As it is, the V Cup is barely established in this country. Throwing in risk factors like PDL teams at this juncture could do more harm than good, IMO.

The reality of the situation is that the Voyageurs Cup competition is not an "open" cup, and it never has been. It's always been a top tier tournament, even back when it was just this group awarding it to teams based on regular season fixtures.

If it is ever to be a true open tournament, it'll have to evolve from the top down, as it is now. I love tournaments like the FA Cup, but I just don't see lower league teams clamouring to join, nor do I see the CSA clamouring to invite them. The bar for the participating V Cup sides has been set very high, and the CSA is rightfully concerned about lowering the bar so early.

As it is, the V Cup is barely established in this country. Throwing in risk factors like PDL teams at this juncture could do more harm than good, IMO.

Cannot disagree with your point and many of the others. A tournament such as an FA CUP is needed. I hope the CSA reads this and many of the other forums, and can pull from many of the ideas.

One major HOPE, is that FC Edmonton do well in the V CUP in 2011. Them doing well will ensure that growth will continue.

Cannot disagree with your point and many of the others. A tournament such as an FA CUP is needed. I hope the CSA reads this and many of the other forums, and can pull from many of the ideas.

One major HOPE, is that FC Edmonton do well in the V CUP in 2011. Them doing well will ensure that growth will continue.

The FA cup works because you can have an amateur team that's 100 years old, full of players who used to be pros or had pro training, playing in it's own 4,000 seat stadium, sold out. that doesn't work when you're playing the Brampton eXxtreme or whatever, on a municipal park with bleachers.

Sorry, there isnt enough good teams to justify open cup play.

The FA cup works because you can have an amateur team that's 100 years old, full of players who used to be pros or had pro training, playing in it's own 4,000 seat stadium, sold out. that doesn't work when you're playing the Brampton eXxtreme or whatever, on a municipal park with bleachers.

Sorry, there isnt enough good teams to justify open cup play.

How is any elite semi-pro or amateur team supposed to justify trying to grow if they don't have competitive matches on the schedule against clubs from bigger leagues? Clearly a good showing against a team from a higher level can help build the profile of such a club within its own community and demonstrate the need for a decent stadium.

Second-last paragraph.

Whoops! My bad. My eyes just skipped right over it... I wonder how he would know this? I'm surprised that the CSA has actually thought this far ahead in terms of organizing next year's competition. I guess they haven't made an announcement because they have to wait for the MLS and NASL schedules to be released first.

In Nevio Pizzolitto's "Goal Posts" blog, he says that FC Edmonton will play Toronto FC in the opening round of the 2011 Voyageurs Cup.

So it sounds like teams will face only one opponent in the opening round, meaning that the tournament is now single-elimination.

That would mean that Vancouver would face Montreal.

Source.

If this proves to be true it really sucks!! No road trip to Toronto unless we meet in the "finals"??

If this proves to be true it really sucks!! No road trip to Toronto unless we meet in the "finals"??

As well as some other single-elimination problems:

1. Whoever plays FCE has it easy

2. FCE not getting the 3 home games=loss of exposure/revenue

Is it really that tough to add another 2 games to a round robin?

I'm trying to get confirmation, but I think this might be an error/awkwardly worded sentence.

Not too awkwardly worded, as for every incarnation of the cup previously, there has been only one round. Unless it's the initial game of the cup, which also then points to some bad planning with the CSA by not having concurrent matches, making no "real" opening game.

It also plays well with the strange letter from IMFC giving 1 Vcup game in the package, with the possibility of more vcup or league playoff..

So the hope is now for a small screwup, instead of a large one.

This is apparently being confirmed. Knockout style.

Strangely though, it will be 1 game knockouts...I don't agree with this. The Cup final should be a single game, but the semi-finals should be two legged.

Really? Where did you hear this from? Because I just received my 2011 season tickets renewal letter from the Impact and it states that there is 1 Canadian championship game included in the package with the possibility of another, which would lead me to believe thats it's a 2 legged semi-final and perhaps a 2 leg final as well.

If it was a single game knockout in the semis then it would be impossible for the Impact to get a home game in the V-Cup this year unless they play Edmonton, which I presume we won't be. So why would they include 1 CC game ticket in the package with the "possibility" of another?

Really? Where did you hear this from? Because I just received my 2011 season tickets renewal letter from the Impact and it states that there is 1 Canadian championship game included in the package with the possibility of another, which would lead me to believe thats it's a 2 legged semi-final and perhaps a 2 leg final as well.

If it was a single game knockout in the semis then it would be impossible for the Impact to get a home game in the V-Cup this year unless they play Edmonton, which I presume we won't be. So why would they include 1 CC game ticket in the package with the "possibility" of another?

the letter from IMFC could not be any more vague ....all it says is that they have no idea how things will turn out

I think it's a schedule congestion problem. With MLS adding 4 games to the schedule and the Canadian Champion still having to navigate CCL qualifying it gets to be a lot.

It really stinks for us in Edmonton, because a home game against any of these teams would have been a great selling point and a real big treat for those who wanted to see the Canadian teams that have been popularizing the sport with the average Canadian sports fan.

the letter from IMFC could not be any more vague ....all it says is that they have no idea how things will turn out

Ya I agree the letter is vague but it does say that the package includes at least one CC game:

''Vous aurez droit à un forfait de 18 matchs, INCLUANT 14 macth de saison régulière, UN match du Championnat Canadien Nutirlite et trois matchs à déterminer (Championnat Canadien Nutrilite et/ou matchs internationaux et/ séries éliminatoires''

So it does say that the package does include at least one V-Cup game with the possibility of another, which explains my earlier post.

Its going to be great to have a game (or games if its 2 legged) that everyone can tune into so there are no meaningless games like in past Vees cups. This will be great for the game in Canada, having our own cup final between professional clubs. I think it would make sense to seed the teams in the first year of this.

So seeded like this:

1. Toronto (champions)

2. Vancouver (2nd NASL 2010)

3. Montreal

4. Edmonton

1v4 and 2v3 over 2 legs. New boys Edmonton will get a nice series vs. Toronto FC. I think it would be awesome if the final was just a one match playoff like a normal cup final... the final should be hosted in the higher seed's stadium. The seeding for future tournaments should be dependent on performance in the previous tournament. Obviously in this format Edmonton would be the only team this year that couldn't host the cup final which I think is smart for 2011 at least, Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto all have established fan bases and stadiums, each would get a good turnout.

Archived