Future NCC format?

And Montreal could play at Olympic stadium!

Apparently there are snow issues with the roof and they required special permission to play the one game in the CCL (Feb?) that was played there. Skydome might also be an option but keeping it in the TFC stadium shouldn't be a problem with the heated field.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2-3 weeks wouldn't be that far behind and once Montreal joins the MLS in 2012 there may be more D2 teams other than Edmonton so getting in 4-6 games in before league play would not only make their schedule more open but it gives them better prep for their league games.

Prep for league games where the whole league makes the playoffs(hyperbole) is not as good as being prepped for a tournament that leads to the club world cup.

• 1 month later...
In a post-mortem interview with the team, Quebec Soccer is reporting that 2011 might move to a knockout tournament (as per Desantis): http://www.quebecsoccer.com/article.php?id=2261

I'm not sure if this means anything, but the following was apparently part of the email sent to TFC season ticket holders today:

2. "Toronto FC is MY Club. I don't want any other teams or games in my season ticket package."

For 2012, Toronto FC's season ticket package will only include the MLS regular season games and two Nutrilite Canadian Championship games.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567008&page=7

Of course, this could just be a clerical error.

I'm not sure if this means anything, but the following was apparently part of the email sent to TFC season ticket holders today:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1567008&page=7

Of course, this could just be a clerical error.

TFC FO has said that they haven't yet heard final details on the Voyageurs Cup tournament, so they are proceeding as if things will remain unchanged.

The CSA needs to get off its ass and announce the format. Toronto and Vancouver are already planning their schedules for next year (MLS First Kick games are usually announced this time of year) and both teams need to build in some leeway for NCC games.

• 5 weeks later...

Now that the NASL is officially D2, CSA better have a schedule out before the end of this month. I hope they include a 5th team....the CSL champions....And if they need to even it out, they can award the CSL Finals Champion and the Year end Winners. This will increase the exposure of the CSL.

I would prefer this for next year:

A 2-round knock out tournament:

Round 1: MLS team v NASL team (2 legs) plus a random draw to decide who plays who.

Finals: Round 1 winners (2 legs).

Sure, it means less games for some teams, but it ensures there is no biatching about teams throwing matches and games not meaning anything.

This is how to do it

My gut feeling is they will do a full 4-team round robin. The teams don't want/need to play more games, but they will do it to help launch Edmonton as the 4th Canadian pro team. Having each of the existing/established teams come to town will give FCE a huge boost in revenue and marketability.

My gut feeling is they will do a full 4-team round robin. The teams don't want/need to play more games, but they will do it to help launch Edmonton as the 4th Canadian pro team. Having each of the existing/established teams come to town will give FCE a huge boost in revenue and marketability.

That is probably unlikely since the MLS season has expanded by four games, and two more games next season. I hope you are right however

Guest piltdownmanWC

Since both the Whitecaps and TFC have only put two game in their season ticket packages my guess is that either Edmonton won't be included or it will be a four team knockout competition.

Since both the Whitecaps and TFC have only put two game in their season ticket packages my guess is that either Edmonton won't be included or it will be a four team knockout competition.

Neither Vancouver nor Toronto have already printed their season tickets yet, though. Their respective PR departments might have just been playing it safe by saying "two matches"... and will throw in a third Voyageurs Cup match for free if it would take place.

Originally TFC had 4 Voyageurs/CONCACAF tickets in their pack to cover the contingency of Toronto having to play 3 Voyageurs Cup games. If there are 3 games, they'll simply sell the 3rd game separately (presumably against Montreal, as that would likely be the easier game to sell).

Though who to say that either Edmonton or Vancouver will be in this year's competition. Surely every other team in CONCACF playing for the 2011-2012 Champions League were playing and sanctioned during 2010; and I don't think this is the case for both of these new teams. Is there anything in the CONCACAF fine print that would exclude them (though surely nothing that couldn't be fixed with a contribution to Jack Warner's favourite charity).

Neither Vancouver nor Toronto have already printed their season tickets yet, though. Their respective PR departments might have just been playing it safe by saying "two matches"... and will throw in a third Voyageurs Cup match for free if it would take place.

I took that to mean that next year's V cup will be a four team tournament whereby each of the four teams are drawn against another side in a two leg tie where the winners advance to the final. I am betting on this one.

Now that the NASL is officially D2, CSA better have a schedule out before the end of this month. I hope they include a 5th team....the CSL champions....And if they need to even it out, they can award the CSL Finals Champion and the Year end Winners. This will increase the exposure of the CSL.
I would think if more teams were added they would start with PDL teams. I'd love to see the excitement that TFC playing at Chapples Park, home of Canadas 5th best team, would create.

I would think if more teams were added they would start with PDL teams. I'd love to see the excitement that TFC playing at Chapples Park, home of Canadas 5th best team, would create.

And I would hate it. Until they are ready for it, can we hold back on playing them?

And I would hate it. Until they are ready for it, can we hold back on playing them?

why would you hate it. have you seen how poorly TFC play. maybe a PDL or CSL team can due what many say is the impossible & beat TFC!!!!!! do you know how much publicity it would generate. The negative publicity for TFC, and the positive for PDL or CSL. Publicity is what is needed in Canada for soccer to grow. Look @ Hockey, everywhere you look it's about hockey. And Canadians...mostly the media still bring up the 1972 Series CDA vs USSR. If it wasn't for the media would many of us really care. So lets push our media stations to update date weekly CSL scores. Let us know how our Cdn PDL & NASL teams are doing. Lets hear how Cdns abroad are doing.....and the end of the day it's up to us to pressure media to give us what we want. Not what they think we want.

why would you hate it. have you seen how poorly TFC play. maybe a PDL or CSL team can due what many say is the impossible & beat TFC!!!!!! do you know how much publicity it would generate. The negative publicity for TFC, and the positive for PDL or CSL. Publicity is what is needed in Canada for soccer to grow. Look @ Hockey, everywhere you look it's about hockey. And Canadians...mostly the media still bring up the 1972 Series CDA vs USSR. If it wasn't for the media would many of us really care. So lets push our media stations to update date weekly CSL scores. Let us know how our Cdn PDL & NASL teams are doing. Lets hear how Cdns abroad are doing.....and the end of the day it's up to us to pressure media to give us what we want. Not what they think we want.

It would not generate any more publicity than what there is right now. No matter how much of a mess TFC is, they would win against PDL teams 9 times out of 10. And that one time they don't, you are going to get a bunch of people that just piss on North American soccer and MLS and say how bad it is.

Archived