Province: Dunfield excited to be back home

sstackho

You can't help but root for the guy after reading that story (even if you don't think he's that talented). Also a cautionary tale that reminds me of Wyn Bellotte and his career path. I guess for some the way best way to the top is to get PT in the lower leagues and for others it's to be patient and fight your way onto the first team at a top side. There really isn't a formula for success, it depends on the individual.

Saw him play for the Caps against Austin on the weekend. He was one of their best players, great work ethic in the centre of midfield, good passer of the ball. Probably not a MNT quality player but could fit in well with the Caps as a squad player when they make the jump to MLS

Dunfield missed his flight because his passport was only valid for six weeks. He rushed to the passport office, explained "I'm 28 and I'm never going to get another call-up," convinced someone to help and bought his own ticket to Venezuela.

! At least he won't be whining over first class or economy.

They left out the part about him preferring to play for England over Canada though.

I'm glad you reminded me of this.

It never hurts to know the truth (especially for our younger posters) and not to be subjected to some of the revisionist krap we get about other historically "wavering" Canadians.

He never played for England. I remember the story... He trained with them. They sent a limo and he trained with them. He never at anytime said we was going to play for anyone but Canada, even while he was training with England. He played well for Canada too. U20, he was one of the best of a very good crop. Someone might have the story from the time but he said something along the lines that he would take the chance to train with England.. It would be foolish to not take advantage of that kind of attention and coaching but he said he was always going to play for Canada. He didn't lie. Another 81 lied thoough. Lets not confuse the two.

He never played for England. I remember the story... He trained with them. They sent a limo and he trained with them. He never at anytime said we was going to play for anyone but Canada, even while he was training with England. He played well for Canada too. U20, he was one of the best of a very good crop. Someone might have the story from the time but he said something along the lines that he would take the chance to train with England.. It would be foolish to not take advantage of that kind of attention and coaching but he said he was always going to play for Canada. He didn't lie. Another 81 lied thoough. Lets not confuse the two.

That's how I recall it too roughly.

James, he was godawful with our U20's. He was parachuted in at the last minute by Mr (I KNOW CHARACTER) P James as captain, snubbing Julian who had led the team to that point. It was all downhill from there.

I thought Dunfield stood out from the start in the Canadian jersey. There were high expectations after qualifying and the boys fell apart but I honestly thought that Dunfield, for the tournement was one of the bright spots. He always looked pretty stable and composed. He played a mature game and his experience showed. That 81 team, yeah I know Terry was an 82. There were a few of them on that that national team.I think Tam's an 82 too and Wyn is I think an 84. I wonder where they all ended up? Nearly 10 years later...

The 81's were amazing but I think the 87's might end up getting close. Hey, they choked too! These were great U20 teams that should have done better... I blame coaching.

James, he was godawful with our U20's. He was parachuted in at the last minute by Mr (I KNOW CHARACTER) P James as captain, snubbing Julian who had led the team to that point. It was all downhill from there.

I think Victor Oppong is the player who was snubbed. He was our captain in Victoria when we qualified.

I thought Dunfield stood out from the start in the Canadian jersey. There were high expectations after qualifying and the boys fell apart but I honestly thought that Dunfield, for the tournement was one of the bright spots. He always looked pretty stable and composed. He played a mature game and his experience showed. That 81 team, yeah I know Terry was an 82. There were a few of them on that that national team.I think Tam's an 82 too and Wyn is I think an 84. I wonder where they all ended up? Nearly 10 years later...

The 81's were amazing but I think the 87's might end up getting close. Hey, they choked too! These were great U20 teams that should have done better... I blame coaching.

Imagine if PJ had got OwenH instead of Dunfield...no one would complain today. It's just unfortunate that Dunfield career went downhill after that, it could've been a nice move.

As for the coaching in 2001. I don't remember much but I know that in 2007 we were out of our depth against Chile and compete well in the last 2 games, we just didn't manage to convert our chances (which we had, specially against Congo). I know I'm in a minority here, but I don't think coaching was that bad in 2007.

That may be. But the players were in fact led by Julian, who dominated in Victoria. He showed how to lead in the Rhode Island game earlier that year where they beat the USA 2-1 at their coming-out party, the US Soccer Festival.

* oops - in response to Loyola's Victor Oppong post.

James, we were 0-3 with Dunfield. I don't recall him being anything close to dominating.

Whether Oppong or Julian was the de facto leader, I never really thought it was a great idea to strip the captaincy from a player who played in matches that successfully qualified for a World Cup (going undefeated in the process) in order to give it to someone who hadn't played in those matches because he hadn't committed to playing for the team at that point. I can't imagine that this helped team morale or chemistry at all, nor was it helped by the fact that Dunfield's talent level was not anything special enough to warrant that kind of move (assuming that such a move could be justifiable in the first place). This was not Dunfield's fault - the blame for that move has to go down to the coach.

Archived