CONCACAF to submit its proposed format for 2014 WCQ to FIFA

Redpunkfiddle

Oh I thought they would use updated rankings to seed the teams in the second and third rounds in which case we could improve our seed. Agree that I don't want to be stuck in a group like we had in 08.... If the most updated rankings are used for each seeding then I don't really have a problem with us being out of the top 8 for the first draw.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I thought they would use updated rankings to seed the teams in the second and third rounds in which case we could improve our seed. Agree that I don't want to be stuck in a group like we had in 08.... If the most updated rankings are used for each seeding then I don't really have a problem with us being out of the top 8 for the first draw.

I think i remember reading that rumour too (re-seeding), but i'm not even sure FIFA even does it. I don't recall them ever doing that before for any Confederation qualifiers that are multi-staged (CAF, AFC). Usually the draw plots out the route for every matchup all the way from the first round to the last (ie. establish which group winners/qualifiers are drawn in advance into next stage against other qualifiers). If there is re-seeding then there will need to be another draw in Zurich, and if they do it for us they'll likely introduce it for everyone else. But anyways, let's say there is another draw so we can re-seed, who's to say that the rankings won't be the same or similar when it comes time to draw again? Other teams that advance from the first round will have picked up points from their qualifying results as well.

I think i remember reading that rumour too (re-seeding), but i'm not even sure FIFA even does it. I don't recall them ever doing that before for any Confederation qualifiers that are multi-staged (CAF, AFC). Usually the draw plots out the route for every matchup all the way from the first round to the last (ie. establish which group winners/qualifiers are drawn in advance into next stage against other qualifiers). If there is re-seeding then there will need to be another draw in Zurich, and if they do it for us they'll likely introduce it for everyone else. But anyways, let's say there is another draw so we can re-seed, who's to say that the rankings won't be the same or similar when it comes time to draw again? Other teams that advance from the first round will have picked up points from their qualifying results as well.

FIFA did it for CAF.

See Wikipedia.

Little late to set up January friendlies at this point, dontcha say?

From what I can remember, friendlies are usually late announcement for the January camp. For example, the game against Jamaica (January 31, 2010) was announced on December 22nd of last year.

While I'm not sure if they are looking for a game or two, I think they still have time to organize one.

Archived