CONCACAF to submit its proposed format for 2014 WCQ to FIFA

Redpunkfiddle

It's interesting scouring the web for reactions from fans of other countries. Fans of the middling countries seem to be mixed, Mexicans seem to be indifferent and don't really care, but the Yanks are overwhelmingly furious that they've been robbed of their precious rivalry qualifier with Mexico. They seem a tad shocked at the notion that CONCACAF does not actually revolve around them.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a look at the FIFA dates for the next qualifying cycle, and there’s not a lot of room there. If CONCACAF gets 3.5 spots, the October and November dates in 2013 are taken by the CONCACAF and Inter-confederational playoffs respectively. That leaves space for 16 competitive matches after the draw, whereas we have 18 matches to play. Where the extra dates will come from, I don't know. But it looks like the super-minnows will start in either March or June of next year, with Canada starting next September. Qualifying is *only* a year away. :-)

25-29 March Fixed date for official competition matches

03-07 June Fixed date for official competition matches

05-25 June CONCACAF Gold Cup

31 July FIFA World Cup Qualifying Draw

10 August Fixed date for friendly matches

02-06 Sep. Fixed date for official competition matches

07-11 Oct. Fixed date for official competition matches

11-15 Nov. Fixed date for official competition matches

29 Feb. Fixed date for friendly matches

15 Aug Fixed date for friendly matches

07-11 Sep. Fixed date for official competition matches

12-16 Oct. Fixed date for official competition matches

14 Nov. Fixed date for friendly matches

06 February Fixed date for friendly matches

22-26 March Fixed date for official competition matches

07-11 June Fixed date for official competition matches

July? CONCACAF Gold Cup

14 August Fixed date for friendly matches

06-10 Sep. Fixed date for official competition matches

11-15 Oct. Fixed date for official competition matches

15-19 Nov. Fixed date for official competition matches

I had a look at the FIFA dates for the next qualifying cycle, and there’s not a lot of room there. If CONCACAF gets 3.5 spots, the October and November dates in 2013 are taken by the CONCACAF and Inter-confederational playoffs respectively. That leaves space for 16 competitive matches after the draw, whereas we have 18 matches to play. Where the extra dates will come from, I don't know. But it looks like the super-minnows will start in either March or June of next year, with Canada starting next September. Qualifying is *only* a year away. :-)

July? CONCACAF Gold Cup

It's weird that there's no dates in June of 2012. I suspect CONCACAF might schedule games at that time anyway just because it's the offseason for nearly every league except MLS.

July? CONCACAF Gold Cup

From what I always remember qualifying seemed to start in the early spring the year after the world cup. For 2010 WC there were matches in Feb & Mar 2008 then we played st vag in June 2008 so thats four dates. But if theres no dates set for June 2012 then something should change. One thing to note is that the draw is July 31 2011. For 2010 it was Nov 2007. Maybe that means that we will be starting late 2011 or Feb 2012.

From what I always remember qualifying seemed to start in the early spring the year after the world cup. For 2010 WC there were matches in Feb & Mar 2008 then we played st vag in June 2008 so thats four dates. But if theres no dates set for June 2012 then something should change. One thing to note is that the draw is July 31 2011. For 2010 it was Nov 2007. Maybe that means that we will be starting late 2011 or Feb 2012.

AFIK, the matches in February and March of 2008 (the first round) were either friendly dates or not fifa dates of any kind. It didn't really matter, as only the minnows were playing anyways. I see your point about June 2012 though. I expect the extra matches will fit in there. I doubt the first group stage will start any later than September of 2011.

AFIK, the matches in February and March of 2008 (the first round) were either friendly dates or not fifa dates of any kind. It didn't really matter, as only the minnows were playing anyways. I see your point about June 2012 though. I expect the extra matches will fit in there. I doubt the first group stage will start any later than September of 2011.

South America has 18 matches for qualifying and they started with 2 matches in october 2007 and 2 in november 2007 then not again until june 2008. Starting a year from now might be the case now that we will need 18 matches as well.

South America has 18 matches for qualifying and they started with 2 matches in october 2007 and 2 in november 2007 then not again until june 2008. Starting a year from now might be the case now that we will need 18 matches as well.

We actually need to start 2 matches before South America, since we have (presumably) a playoff to complete before the inter-confederational playoff.

It's interesting scouring the web for reactions from fans of other countries. Fans of the middling countries seem to be mixed, Mexicans seem to be indifferent and don't really care, but the Yanks are overwhelmingly furious that they've been robbed of their precious rivalry qualifier with Mexico. They seem a tad shocked at the notion that CONCACAF does not actually revolve around them.

I thought it was more bewilderment that CONCACAF would pass up two more money-spinning games between Mexico and the US...

• 3 weeks later...
This raises two questions for me:

1) Is CONCACAF really going to give up two USA vs. Mexico games?

2) How are tiny countries like Dominica and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines going to be able to afford to a full group stage?

I wondered these exact two things myself. In the interest of advancing football in the region I have always been in favour of a group stage for the minnows. Some of these nations WCQ campaignes consist of one or two games, while others get up to 18. The best nations of the minnows like St Vag, Barbados, St. Kitts and Nevis, Nicaragua, and Greneda can finaly get a chance to show their stuff against the middle and top ranked nations.

Its the first point that scares me. Are we so sure that CONCACRAP is not going to pair the USA and Mexico together in one of the 2 last finals groups, especially if there is a draw after each round? If the USA and Mexico did end up in the same group, it would be extremely hard for either of the other two nations in their group to qualify for the finals. I could see this happenening to Canada. Concacaf has screwed us befor. A situation like this could also be used by Teflon Jack to give T and T an easier bye to the finals. How enraged would you be if you saw this in 2013?

Group 1

Mexico

USA

Costa Rica

Canada

Group 2

Honduras

El Salvador

Jamaica

Trinidad and Tobago

The only way I can see around this is if: 1) Concacrap does indeed seed the USA and Mexico as the top teams in the respective groups and are ok with this. 2) If there is a playoff round to decide the overall section winner for the four qualifiers thus giving the regions favorite dynamic duo the chance to play in an official WCQ. However as this would be deemed as a waste of games, I dont see this happeneing. And for some reason, I dont see scenario 1 happening either...

July 31st has been widely reported in the media.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/copa-do-mundo/noticia/2010/07/brasil-pode-ser-dividido-em-quatro-regioes-para-copa-de-2014.html

In Portuguese.Teixeira, Brazil FA president and chairman annnounced that this (July 31,2011) would be the date of the draw, in a Brazilian city to be named later. (My note:They might have to make earlier arrangements for some of the earlier rounds that would start in September, 2011, for some of the Confederations).

Interesting comment that they are thinking of dividing Brazil up into four zones and keeping each group match within a single zone to cut down on long-distance travel. I would welcome this

if I was to go and follow Canada or any other team.

EDit: Rio de Janiero was named as the location of the draw on Sept 10:

http://www.2014rioworldcup.com/2010/09/10/wc-2014-qualifying-draw-will-be-in-rio-de-janeiro/

Archived