would Calgary voyageurs support Edmonton FC?

It is only a two and a half hour drive to see NASL action. I think mutually we all want to see soccer in Alberta thrive. Besides the U of A dorms are right near by and I am sure some cute co-eds would let you crash in their rooms...

But I am serious about people coming into Edmonton to support the team. Does anyone know if people outside of Toronto go just for the games? Or the same thing in Vancouver?

I just relocated from Calgary myself, two weeks ago, and I was seriously considering attending some matches this year, particularly the Portsmouth match. The only reason I didn't go was the midweek date. Not foreseeing any football in Calgary soon, I would of supported Edmonton in the NASL. I wouldn't travel to every game, as it is 3 hours, but I would of attended a few key matches.

Many fans do commute from at least as far as Hamilton for TFC games, I come from Niagara and I'm sure a few travel even further.

I'll be attending any Whitecaps games up in Edmonton but I won't be cheering for Edmonton. I wish Edmonton all the luck and hope soccer succeeds there but I grew up in BC in the 70s so I still cheer for the Caps. Even if Calgary gets a D2 team I'd go to their games and cheer them on but when the Caps come to town, sorry.

It's simply too far to regularly attend games. As a comparison, how many fans drive from Calgary to Edmonton (or Edmonton to Calgary) to attend one CFL game a year such as either the Alberta rivalry games or just a game in general, especially if you grew up as a fan of the club? Not many and these teams have long histories and huge devoted fans bases. Same could be said for NHL fans. I don't see how Edmonton FC can convince Calgarians to adopt their new club and show that kind of loyalty in any numbers even if they were in MLS. I used to regularly go up to Sask/Esks games in Edmonton from Calgary, but unless you have other ties to Edm and plan a trip around it, it's not easy to make it to that one game. I've also made it to WCQ in Edm on several occasions, but that's a special event quite unlike a regular season match between Edmonton and Austin for example.

It's entirely possible to make it to a game or two a year (that's my plan) but I don't think you can count on anything more than that from a handful of devoted Calgary soccer fans. I doubt the club has any more expectations than that either. These fans are gravy and won't be the tipping point that decides whether EFC lives or dies.

Jason

It's simply too far to regularly attend games. As a comparison, how many fans drive from Calgary to Edmonton (or Edmonton to Calgary) to attend one CFL game a year such as either the Alberta rivalry games or just a game in general, especially if you grew up as a fan of the club? Not many and these teams have long histories and huge devoted fans bases. Same could be said for NHL fans. I don't see how Edmonton FC can convince Calgarians to adopt their new club and show that kind of loyalty in any numbers even if they were in MLS. I used to regularly go up to Sask/Esks games in Edmonton from Calgary, but unless you have other ties to Edm and plan a trip around it, it's not easy to make it to that one game. I've also made it to WCQ in Edm on several occasions, but that's a special event quite unlike a regular season match between Edmonton and Austin for example.

It's entirely possible to make it to a game or two a year (that's my plan) but I don't think you can count on anything more than that from a handful of devoted Calgary soccer fans. I doubt the club has any more expectations than that either. These fans are gravy and won't be the tipping point that decides whether EFC lives or dies.

Jason

Actually the one game here or there was exactly what I was wondering. I wanted to know if any Calgary fans would make it up for any games, and so far three of you had said that is a viable option. I think that is great news! You should let us in Edmonton know so we can have you join us for pre and post game activities.

Heck we get a good turnout for NLL Calgary fans when they play the Rush here in Edmonton, and that is a smaller scale then the CFL and NHL.

side note: What is WCQ?

Jason

I'm the same. I traveled north to see Canada matches and for Alberta Derby matches when Calgary had a club, but I don't see myself going up there more than once, just to see how things are handled up there.

I'll cheer for an Edmonton club, next season, as success up north could lead to action down south (that sounds like the mantra for a first date), but it's just too far go to watch a non-Calgary club.

I think the dude was asking if Calgary based V's would come up for Edmonton Club matches.

Not would the voyageurs be a SG for FC€?

The answer is still NO. I go up to Edmonton for all National team games but will not for any Edmonton team.

Archived