Drunken Flag Painting Festival for upcoming Canada games (need designs) - Aug 28th

Admin

I've been thinking that it may be a cool idea to dedicate one of our banners maybe Mission 2014 towards garnering signatures and messages of support from both Voyageurs and other Canada supporters at the match. Give people a chance to scribble their signature, or a brief message with a Sharpie and have a piece that travels with us showing and carrying the support of all the Canada fans.

Benefits could be it's a banner with some significant emotional meaning behind it. It shows the players and media the people who are dedicated to the cause, and that there actually is a strong and loyal following of people who care to see Canada at the World Cup.

It also gives us the chance to interact more with non-Voyageurs Canada supporters and create more dialogue in the stadium, before and after the match. It could really be a neat piece to look at in a few years time after its coverd in hundreds or thousands of messages and signatures and makes the trip down to Brazil after the mission is complete.

That could be a good idea. If we had a big white banner with something referring to qualifying for the next WC we could possibly set out a table before games and get people to sign the back.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All good points, but if someone thinks it'd be fun to paint a banner meh what harm could it do? I suppose one could argue it's celebrating mediocrity, but isn't that what being a Voyageur is all about? :)

Squizz has a valid argument. However, in reference to Hart I think the harm is that he was the cheap and less qualified option for the CSA to hire. They have been hiring the cheap and least qualified option for quite a while now and also not requiring coaches to get results in order to keep their job. I am open minded on Hart and maybe he will be the exception and do a good job. However, if we totally embrace Hart before he accomplishes anything the CSA may think they once again did the right thing by hiring the cheaper, underqualified guy. I think the attitude we want the CSA to have is Hart is on trial, as we get nearer to WCQ the pressure on him for results should increase and if they are not there he should be replaced. I think we should also have the same attitude, the amount of support we give Hart will be in direct relation to how good he is doing his job and the results he gets.

As far as the players go the last WCQ (and most of the games since) had poor play from the majority of them, many had a bad attitude and some even betrayed the team before we were eliminated. I find it hard to just brush that over and say we support you no matter what. There is a standard of play and behaviour that any player who pulls on his country's shirt should adhere to and we should demand that of our players as much as the supporters groups of other countries do. Squizz does have a point though and if we feel we do need to promote a few players to draw fans in I think we need to be careful about who we choose. The best possibility would be to promote players who did play well in the last WCQ, are playing at a high club level and are still involved with the team. The list is small though and is pretty much only Klukowski and to a lesser extent Lars (and Radz if he plays again for us). If we want more players I think we should then promote those who are doing well in their career and weren't involved in the last WCQ campaign and whom we can surmise may start to be big contributers to the team in the future, players such as Jackson, Straith, Simpson. The rest I would wait to see how they perform before specifically promoting them, ie. if a player puts together a string of strong performances then he is rewarded by becoming a Voyageur favourite as long as he continues to perform well.

signatures on the front or the back? I think it would be more impressive on the front so that the players could see it. And if messages are allowed, we should restrict the number of words if we want enough space for a lot of people.

If we put the signatures on the front from a distance it will look like a banner with a bunch of scribbles on it. We should put them on the back. After showing the banner and letting people read it we could always turn it around so people will see the signatures and will understand the meaning behind them. Messages will take up too much room, the idea is to get a lot of signatures.

stephenhartfoundation.jpg

First off, Soju I haven't laughed that hard at something for a long while, thank you for designing such an excellent pic.

The signatures idea is great. Is it possible we could have the front say the Mission: 2014 and the back have something along the lines of a You'll Never Walk Alone type idea, perhaps put some decent thought into it (unlike I just did) and relate it to The Voyageurs, the fact our name means to travel and show the way. That way in matches, perhaps pre-kickoff or at half time, it could be switched around to show the back side with the insporational words of true support and the signatures. Just think, we could actually perhaps talk to Sportsnet (if they're showing the game) and ask them to show the banner at a specific time while play isn't happening, to show the front side and then us switching it to the back side. Yeah that's a pipedream but ya gotta shoot for the moon if you're ever to get off the ground...

First off, Soju I haven't laughed that hard at something for a long while, thank you for designing such an excellent pic.

The signatures idea is great. Is it possible we could have the front say the Mission: 2014 and the back have something along the lines of a You'll Never Walk Alone type idea, perhaps put some decent thought into it (unlike I just did) and relate it to The Voyageurs, the fact our name means to travel and show the way. That way in matches, perhaps pre-kickoff or at half time, it could be switched around to show the back side with the insporational words of true support and the signatures. Just think, we could actually perhaps talk to Sportsnet (if they're showing the game) and ask them to show the banner at a specific time while play isn't happening, to show the front side and then us switching it to the back side. Yeah that's a pipedream but ya gotta shoot for the moon if you're ever to get off the ground...

I like the idea of the signatures being visible at some point to share with cameras or anyone close enough to see. Whether it's on the back side of a two sided banner, or on the front, I think the signatures are pretty meaningful and would be nice to see even if they may seem like scribbles. Either way though I'm excited that we're goin forward with it.

If we put the signatures on the front from a distance it will look like a banner with a bunch of scribbles on it. We should put them on the back. After showing the banner and letting people read it we could always turn it around so people will see the signatures and will understand the meaning behind them. Messages will take up too much room, the idea is to get a lot of signatures.

That's ok. The only people I want it to matter to are on the field and if they know what it is the more the better. Even if it becomes incomprehensible.

I think the sigs should go on the front.

And it should get bigger and bigger and bigger. Simple white banner with Mission 2014. Then we fill it with signatures. Add a white strip above and below or make it modular to it just continues to grow.

We will use this for coverage.

That's ok. The only people I want it to matter to are on the field and if they know what it is the more the better. Even if it becomes incomprehensible.

I think the sigs should go on the front.

And it should get bigger and bigger and bigger. Simple white banner with Mission 2014. Then we fill it with signatures. Add a white strip above and below or make it modular to it just continues to grow.

We will use this for coverage.

My point though is not that people can't read the signatures, it is that the banner may not look as good with a bunch of squiggles surrounding the message. Possibly there are ways of designing it to prevent this. If it was made modular and the message was on a section of the banner without signatures that might work but it might also lead to a huge banner. If we want to use it as a tifo that might be ok but if it is only a banner it is probably better to keep it smaller.

My point though is not that people can't read the signatures, it is that the banner may not look as good with a bunch of squiggles surrounding the message. Possibly there are ways of designing it to prevent this. If it was made modular and the message was on a section of the banner without signatures that might work but it might also lead to a huge banner. If we want to use it as a tifo that might be ok but if it is only a banner it is probably better to keep it smaller.

We will leave space around Mission 2014.

If it gets so big it can't be used, that's just a better story.

well you just write MISSION 2014 in the center with bold letters, and all the signatures made with smaller and thinner font, and just keep like 2 cm around the MISSION 2014 so that when you look at it from a distance the center message stands out.

well you just write MISSION 2014 in the center with bold letters, and all the signatures made with smaller and thinner font, and just keep like 2 cm around the MISSION 2014 so that when you look at it from a distance the center message stands out.

Yup!

This is what sharpies were made more!

Sharpie Mission 2014

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd rehash this one. Not sure if anything made its way to Greece. Did anything make it's way to the WNT games?

So, any plans on anything for the Gold Cup? I still think we should make use of the Hart Foundation idea - proven or unproven we have to show our support for what we have. In my opinion he's doing the best with what he's got.

How's the Mission: 2014 banner looking these days? I've wondered for a while how it fared through the Montreal rain.

Thought I'd rehash this one. Not sure if anything made its way to Greece. Did anything make it's way to the WNT games?

So, any plans on anything for the Gold Cup? I still think we should make use of the Hart Foundation idea - proven or unproven we have to show our support for what we have. In my opinion he's doing the best with what he's got.

How's the Mission: 2014 banner looking these days? I've wondered for a while how it fared through the Montreal rain.

It's been collecting signatures to this day. Got some more from people at the Jersey Launch event and the Canada Greece game at Scallys.

Some of the colored markers ran.... so what the heck sign it twice.

I am getting it onto a good roller this week and making it transportable.

The banner will be at all Gold Cup games.

I would like to ship it other places for people to sign.

Archived