If I could ask u17 NT coach Bryan Rosenfeld anything...

StrandOne

Less than two years ago, Beverly and Donald Henry sat in the family car trying to console their youngest child, Doneil, as he cried after being cut from the Ontario Soccer Association provincial program. “If you want to play soccer, it’s up to you,” Beverly Henry told her son that day.

Brampton teen achieves ‘dream’ with TFC deal - Toronto Star

My own son was also cut from the Ontario all-star program when he was 13 years old. He was devastated but bound and determined to show the coaches that he was good enough so he found a way with support and encouragement from his parents. He eventually represented both Ontario and BC, winning nationals with both, and went on to play for Canada at the U-17, U-20 and U-23 levels achieving carded elite athlete status at age 16. He also started every game for the Simon Fraser University Clan during the four years he was there.

What would I ask Rosie?? T hats's an easy one.......When will you befinally stepping down and allow some new blood in there at the OSA and NT program.

But I suppose that will happen as a matter of course.

After he coaches this current group of dedicated and talented girls out of the early rounds next month

Surely you meant to say .. over coached, the tv feed today show he still yell far far to much at his player when they are on the field, has he not figured out its the players game not his ?

Seriously he yells way to many directives to his players, especially at this level.

Seriously he yells way to many directives to his players, especially at this level.

I totally agree-- it was alooot of yelling. Embarrassing for the players whose names he's calling out? I don't know. I fell prey to that as a coach a long time ago but I realized exactly what you pointed out-- once they take the field, the game is in the players' hands. Altho' there are MANY international coaches who are very vocal, very loud. Directing formation is fine but calling out players' names.... I dunno.

Surely you meant to say .. over coached, the tv feed today show he still yell far far to much at his player when they are on the field, has he not figured out its the players game not his ?

Kinda half agree with this. But the team really lacked drive and passion in the first half and he started to yell more in the second half it seemed to pick the girls up and they played much better in the second half. On the other hand though he shouldn't need to direct the players as to where they should be that often, especially since they've been together for more than a good while now in preparation for the tournament. I mean to for Morace or Hart to talk formation/positioning to their players during a match as part of a week camp or so is different since the players have much less time to adapt to the style.

... in the second half it seemed to pick the girls up and they played much better in the second half.

Agreed. Whatever talk Bryan gave at halftime had a positive effect on the pace of the game. The girls put more pressure on Ghana and played with more spark & urgency. It was tough watching BOTH teams struggle to string 5 consecutive passes together for much of the game but I'll take the win.

In anearlier post I mused about whether it's embarrasing for the players to be screamed at by name. It's just now occuring to me that perhaps Coach Rosenfeld was a smidge embarrased by the way they were playing. Not that it's a tit-for-tat game of embarassment but I can understand his frustration-- especially if they play stunningly well against Ireland, a tougher opponent, demonstrating what Rosenfeld may already know-- that Canada has waaaay more talent than they showed against Ghana.

next year will be a bit different. PEI/NS/NB (for example) no longer has an provincial team that competes at the national all stars, it will now be a Maritime team. At the same time, Lewis Page is the assistant coach of the u17 team, but the girls here dont have anything more to aspire to than the UPEI womens team, which is one of the better ones in Canada. A couple of girls have dressed for the u15 team when they played in PEI.

Archived