Canadians abroad: August 20-26, 2010

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for August 20-26, 2010.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Mixed day in Britain:

Edgar(Bunrley) and McCallum (Lincoln) and John (Cardiff) not even on the bench.

Peters started vs Palace. Ipswich won away 2-1 after both sides had a man ejected.

Jackson on in the 81st min for Norwich and then the match's first goal comes minutes later in the form of a Swansea OG. He scored in the 90th min to secure a 2-0 win. Great showing for Simeon!

Hume stays on the bench for Barnsley's 3-2 away win vs Bristol City.

Haber starts for St Johnstone vs Aberdeen. Replaced on min 72 by Samuel. Match finished as a 1-0 away win for Aberdeen.

Hoilett on in the 84th min vs Birmingham in a 2-1 Blackburn loss.

Scotland (3)

Jake Inglis played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for Elgin City in a 2-0 home loss to East Stirlingshire.

Germany (B1)

As mentionned by Frank_e in "Canucks in Germany" Kevin McKenna played 90 minutes at centre half for Koln as they go down 3-1 to Kaiserslautern

B2

Marcel De Jong made his debut for Augsburg in the 83rd minute as they defeat Ingolstadt 04 by a score of 4-1.

Switzerland

Daniel Imhof played 59 minutes for St. Gallen who tied FC Sion Sitten 1-1.

-Radz played 90 in Lierse's 2-1 loss to KV Kortrijk. Interesting that Lierse picked up Japan's starting keeper Eiji Kawashima (who played in this match) in the offseason - I must have missed that.

-Frank Jonke must have been injured as he was subbed out in the 33rd min of his Oulu's 1-1 draw with Haka

-No Issey for Horsens as they lose 2-0 to Sonderjyske. Can't imagine he'll come to the friendlies if he has the slightest injury concern.

-No sign of Monsalve as his Inter Turku lost 1-0 to Tampere Utd

-Ricketts started and was subbed out on 69' for MyPa, who lost 3-0 to TPS Turku

-Pozniak plays 90 again (at RB I think) for Haugesand's 1-0 win vs Kongsvinger

-Simpson's Manisaspor lost 3-0 to Klukowski's Ankaragucu today, Kluka played 90 in his debut and it looks like Josh was a second half substitute:

http://guncel.turkcellsuperlig.com/UI/MacDetay.aspx?id=420334 Manisaspor start the season with two losses and sit in the basement of the SuperLig with Galatasaray

-No sign of Pacheco for Santa Clara's League Cup match against Varzim. Maybe an injury?

Atiba Hutchinson is starting for PSV against AZ because Afellay is still not fully fit.

Hutchinson plays the full 90 mins and PSV win 3-1 in a entertaining game.

Hutchinson may only be starting because of injury, but he has done nothing to discredit himself in his performances so far. What does a healthy PSV midfield look like? I can't imagine Afellay playing the exact same role as Hutch.

Guest ren989

Adam Straith played 90 minutes in a 2-0 win for his team Energie Cottbus.

He played mostly at RB last year but started this game at CB. Not sure if it was just a one time thing but encouraging to see nonetheless.

Hutchinson may only be starting because of injury, but he has done nothing to discredit himself in his performances so far. What does a healthy PSV midfield look like? I can't imagine Afellay playing the exact same role as Hutch.

Hutch has introduced himself very well in Dutch football but will not be a starting player with the current squad. When fit...Afellay will take Hutch's exact position. He's been playing there for years. He is a different player and is a lot better/more creative in possesion but quite disciplined defensively as well.

Afellay is still expected to leave however since he's on a free transfer next year.

Hutch has introduced himself very well in Dutch football but will not be a starting player with the current squad. When fit...Afellay will take Hutch's exact position. He's been playing there for years. He is a different player and is a lot better/more creative in possesion but quite disciplined defensively as well.

Afellay is still expected to leave however since he's on a free transfer next year.

I believe jonovision was under the impression that Afellay would have a more offensive role and therefore the two would not be competing for the same spot. Naturally if that was the case then it would be a near impossible task for Hutch. Isn't it possible that when Afellay returns from injury that Hutch starts ahead of one of the other midfield players?

Hutch is versatile so he could be used as injury cover for the wide positions as well, but if Afellay and Engelaar are both healthy, and if what our Dutch friend tells us is true about Afellay's best position, then Atiba will be on the outside looking in. Engelaar and Afellay are both Netherlands internationals (although not first teamers), and probably a step above in quality.

The reason I asked the question, though, is that most of Afellay's appearances as a sub this season, and in the World Cup, were in an all-out attacking role, often replacing a forward. Atiba has been doing a lot of defensive work, and I didn't think Afellay had that kind of game. I guess I was wrong.

Archived