Peru/Honduras squad rumors/announcements/speculation thread

Keano

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting that James mentions Jonathon DeGuzman as a possiblility in the next few years. Does he read the speculation on this board, or are people in the "know" aware of other information?

Pretty much guaranteed that he reads this board. I don't think it was a coincidence that he came out with a piece on whether Julian's DP quality a week or so after Superbrad started a thread wondering if he had lost a step. Also, he seems to like to call us sycophants and I'm sure he cherrypicks comments from here to back up that notion in his own head.

Since that Mexico-Canada game two years ago in Edmonton has come up in the discussion, with Radz and Gerba playing together at striker, I decided to look for some highlights. Juby put together this video:

This was probably the best we played under Mitchell, possibly one of the best matches Canada has played since GC 2007. Not only did we score 2 goals, there were also a plethora of other chances, some I had forgotten about (like a 30-yard Stalteri strike off the bar). I was also reminded how the 1st Mexico goal from a free kick came after a brutal referee's decision.

Despite a version of Ali Gerba that looked to be about 20 pounds heavier than he is now and a 35 year old Radzinski, it seems the two striker formation worked out well in that one.

With character players in the form of Paul Stalteri (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Atiba Hutchinson (PSV Eindhoven), Patrice Bernier (FC Nordsjaelland), Josh Simpson (Manisaspor), Rob Friend (Hertha BSC), Will Johnson (Real Salt Lake) and Iain Hume (Barnsley) providing the glue for a strong group mentality, there should be some cautious hope on the horizon.

I see that he didn't put Julian DeGuzman in that group.

Since that Mexico-Canada game two years ago in Edmonton has come up in the discussion, with Radz and Gerba playing together at striker, I decided to look for some highlights. Juby put together this video:

This was probably the best we played under Mitchell, possibly one of the best matches Canada has played since GC 2007. Not only did we score 2 goals, there were also a plethora of other chances, some I had forgotten about (like a 30-yard Stalteri strike off the bar). I was also reminded how the 1st Mexico goal from a free kick came after a brutal referee's decision.

Despite a version of Ali Gerba that looked to be about 20 pounds heavier than he is now and a 35 year old Radzinski, it seems the two striker formation worked out well in that one.

That game and the one against Brazil were probably the best we played under Mitchell.

I think we also played a 4-4-2 in San Pedro de Sula a few days prior to the Mexico game in Edmonton and from what I remember we were looking good before Carlos Costly wonder strike. Gerba and Radz started.

With character players in the form of Paul Stalteri (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Atiba Hutchinson (PSV Eindhoven), Patrice Bernier (FC Nordsjaelland), Josh Simpson (Manisaspor), Rob Friend (Hertha BSC), Will Johnson (Real Salt Lake) and Iain Hume (Barnsley) providing the glue for a strong group mentality, there should be some cautious hope on the horizon.

I see that he didn't put Julian DeGuzman in that group.

Not really surprising considering who wrote the article but you have to wonder if JDG can be qualify as a "character player". He always looked like the "quiet type" to me.

That game and the one against Brazil were probably the best we played under Mitchell.

I think we also played a 4-4-2 in San Pedro de Sula a few days prior to the Mexico game in Edmonton and from what I remember we were looking good before Carlos Costly wonder strike. Gerba and Radz started.

I have a different opinion of that match. Gerba was a non factor and lasted until half time, we got our goal from a set play (McKenna (or Friend?) header off the bar, Hainault rebound), and the centre mid combos (Hutchinson/Bernier, then Hutchinson/Harmse) did little and were fairly nondescript. If people wish to defend Gerba because he doesn't get service or the right type of service that's certainly fair enough, but then you have to look at the guys responsible for (not) providing that service.

I have a different opinion of that match. Gerba was a non factor and lasted until half time, we got our goal from a set play (McKenna (or Friend?) header off the bar, Hainault rebound), and the centre mid combos (Hutchinson/Bernier, then Hutchinson/Harmse) did little and were fairly nondescript. If people wish to defend Gerba because he doesn't get service or the right type of service that's certainly fair enough, but then you have to look at the guys responsible for (not) providing that service.

I think we are (re-) learning in Montreal that with top-class service from the likes of Ribeiro and DiLorenzo he is a finisher. But let me temper that by saying that his recent form coincides with a 90-minute work-rate I have never seen from him even in GC 2007. I'd love to see him called and played against Honduras as a replacement for possibly released TFC starters, but I'm not optimistic.

Interesting that James mentions Jonathon DeGuzman as a possiblility in the next few years. Does he read the speculation on this board, or are people in the "know" aware of other information?
Perhaps he watched the interview with Hart during SoccerCentral on Sportsnet1 on Saturday.

For all the talk of "character" players (Paul James has been banging a drum about that), there also has to be enough skill, quickness and ability on the team to make it an effective one, or all the "character" in the world won't do you any good. James has been full of praise for the way Preki has coached and how they weeded out all of the alleged bad apples on TFC, but the result is a team that has struggled to score all season and might not make the playoffs again. For every example of an international team doing well because they left their tempermental talented starts off the roster (France 1998 as James recently cited, which left Cantona and Ginola off the team and won the World Cup), there is one for teams that leave the tempermental stars off the team and fail spectacularly or underachieve (hello Italy and Brazil respectively this past World Cup). Ideally you want both - but even for the best teams in the world with fantastic depth it isn't always possible - and Canada has smaller depth than most (even if it is a hell of a lot better than the dark days of the mid-90's through early 2000's). And none of the Canadian players that James does not like the "character" of (based on his articles) are the hot-heads of the Cassano/Cantona variety that are either cancers in the dressing room or hot-heads that will leave you a man short after just 10 minutes.

-----------Jackson----Friend--------------

Simpson---Hutchinson---de Guzman---De Rosario

de Jong----Jakovic------McKenna----Attakora

------------------Hirschfeld----------------

My starting XI

Come on lets go Canada!

I fully expect 2 wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9o3t3LtxWM

That was the last time Canada played a friendly at home... THREE ****ING YEARS AGO

WTFAAAAUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not exactly the greatest day for our nation's press getting everything correct in their soccer coverage. From the article:

"Dwayne De Rosario, Jonathan de Guzman and Nana Attakora are expected to see action for Canada in Saturday’s game against Peru in Toronto."

Unless the CP article knows something about Jono switching that we don't.....

Anybody have any idea how realistic it might be to see Gerba play in a red sweater at Saputo? Or would Hart just make do with a reduced squad?

Hart would have had to have already requested Gerba's services from the Impact. I'd say it's pretty doubtful at this stage.

If Ali keeps scoring at the rate he is now, he'll probably get a call up in October.

Hart would have had to have already requested Gerba's services from the Impact. I'd say it's pretty doubtful at this stage.

If Ali keeps scoring at the rate he is now, he'll probably get a call up in October.

Yeah but I meant in terms of a replacement if the TFC guys don't travel to Montreal which it looks like they won't.

Anybody have any idea how realistic it might be to see Gerba play in a red sweater at Saputo? Or would Hart just make do with a reduced squad?

Yeah but I meant in terms of a replacement if the TFC guys don't travel to Montreal which it looks like they won't.

The question would be whether Hart had anticipated releasing the TFC players and requested Gerba by the required date. If he didn't, the Impact would not be required to release him and with their playoff ambitions possibly resting on him scoring in games such as the one the following night they probably wouldn't. If Gerba isn't available though it would be a shame that he didn't call up Occean, though with Offenbach not playing until the following Saturday they might be more inclined to let him go on short notice. If Hart lets the 3 TFC players go and doesn't have decent replacements as opposed to emergency replacements who are only called because no one else is available, this would be a major screw up on his part.

Archived