Canadians abroad: August 13-19, 2010

DJT

Begovic News, the gardian Knocks him a bit in the Rumours section...

Whether it's dithering at great length over whether to represent Canada or Bosnia & Herzegovina in international football, or humming and hawing over a move to Tottenham Hotspur or Stoke City from Portsmouth on the last transfer deadline day, Asmir Begovic has long displayed the kind of uncertainty you really don't want to see in a top class goalkeeper. That hasn't stopped Chelsea expressing interest in the 23-year-old, mind. The Daily Mail reports they've made a £4.5m bid to sign the Stoke No2, presumably with a view to making him their No3 or even No4, behind Petr Cech and Ross Turnball.

Begovic famously had a last-minute change of mind on 1 February this year, pointing his car in the direction of Stoke's Britannia Stadium when it seemed he was on the verge of signing for Spurs, citing "sporting reasons" as the motivation for his decision. At the risk of sounding cynical, the Rumour Mill can only conclude that Chelsea are offering him a minimum of 10-20,000 additional "sporting reasons" per week to leave his place on the Stoke bench to take up a less comfortable one in the Stamford Bridge stand

Strange, i would have thought Panathinaikos would be content with Greek #1 Tzorvas?

All I know he has made the move to that team and offical as i came up with it by mistake looking in web pages. I jpg75 would not even know anything about that area I fluke it so posted it here, just in case no one was aware.

Hi, I am Journalist from germany. Olivier Occean plays in Offenbach (3. league), he scored 4 goals in 3 games, so that teams from bundesliga were interested. Is ist possible, that he will be invited for the two matches of canadian nationalteam?

Hi, I am Journalist from germany. Olivier Occean plays in Offenbach (3. league), he scored 4 goals in 3 games, so that teams from bundesliga were interested. Is ist possible, that he will be invited for the two matches of canadian nationalteam?

I think a lot (maybe it's just some, but I like to think we all think like me :D) of us think he should be given the call, especially with how well he's been doing in Bundesliga-3. I think a lot of the problems in the past where he hasn't been called up for friendlies has had to do with the lack of match fitness. OO wasn't receiving regular time in Norway, but as a regular player for Offenbach I think he has a great chance at making the national team again.

Canada's problem has not been that we do not have players with European clubs...it's just they don't start very often. They're bench players. With Occean receiving regular minutes with Offenbach, I think he would be a no-brainer for all three of the friendlies Canada players. I think definitely he will play against the Ukraine in the third of the three friendlies.

Stephen Hart, the national coach, is also building a squad for the Gold Cup (sort of our version of the Euro) and I think he'd be on the shortlist for call ups for the Peru and Honduras friendlies who play as Forwards, along with Rob Friend of the Bundesliga-2.

Welcome!

I think OO is a no-brainer for a call for the September friendlies. He will be well in season and has done very well with a top B3 club. Add to that the some B1 and B2 clubs are taking a look, he should be called for sure.

PS: We have a nice thread monitoring the news and results of Canadians playing in Germany, you can check it out here:

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?39947-Canucks-in-Germany-Off-Season-Thread

Occean was a regular starter for LSK up until this season, his lack of call ups to the NT was because he was stuck in a "numbers game". Mitchell saw Friend and Gerba as the top 2 forwards going into qualifying and expressed sympathy for Occean as the odd man out despite his productivity in Norway during the 2008 season.

Welcome aboard! Please keep us posted in this section as to how OO and the team are doing!

Archived