Canadians abroad: August 13-19, 2010

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for August 13-19, 2010.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

SPL:

Heart of Midlothian v St Johnstone (Haber starts)

Championship:

S****horpe United v Norwich City (Jackson starts on the bench)

Ipswich Town v Burnley (Peters and Edgar start)

League 2:

Lincoln City v Torquay United (McCallum starts)

SPL:

Heart of Midlothian v St Johnstone (Haber starts)

Championship:

S****horpe United v Norwich City (Jackson starts on the bench)

Ipswich Town v Burnley (Peters and Edgar start)

League 2:

Lincoln City v Torquay United (McCallum starts)

Not a good day for Edgar. Gets two yellow cards and 7 min later Ipswich get the winner. Don't know if the cards were deserved or not, but this isn't what he needed...

Not a good day for Edgar. Gets two yellow cards and 7 min later Ipswich get the winner. Don't know if the cards were deserved or not, but this isn't what he needed...

Good to see Edgar start, it was about time. Don't worry too much about the yellow cards, if these two yellows were tactical fouls and avoided a chance to score, the coach should be pleased in the first place IMO.

Atiba played the full 90 minutes in a 6-0 thrashing of De Graafschap.

Next up is a away trip to a place far north of Mongolia/Kazakhstan for a ''Europa League'' :D match against Sibir Novosibirsk. Travelling wise it's about the same distance as travelling from Amsterdam to Montreal.

England

Junior Hoilett did not feature off the bench in a 1-0 Blackburn win over Everton.

Belgium

Tomasz Radzinski started for Lierse SK who lost 1-0 to KV Mechelen.

Denmark

Patrice Bernier started and played 77 minutes for Nordsjaelland and received a yellow in a 2-0 loss to FC Copenhagen.

Sweden

Kenny Stamatopoulos was on the bench for AIK's 1-0 win over GAIS.

Any reports on how Atiba did in his PSV debut?

PSV fans were very impressed with him but they also said it was pretty much a nothing game after the red card in the 4th minute. They liked the way he pressured the opponents and he added a bit of bite in tackling in midfield. He moved smartly off the ball as well running into open gaps forward instead of moving backwards.

I don't think he will be starting in the coming weeks however. Ibrahim Afellay has been starting from the bench because of his fitness and he will be taking Atiba's place when he's fit.

PSV fans were very impressed with him but they also said it was pretty much a nothing game after the red card in the 4th minute. They liked the way he pressured the opponents and he added a bit of bite in tackling in midfield. He moved smartly off the ball as well running into open gaps forward instead of moving backwards.

I don't think he will be starting in the coming weeks however. Ibrahim Afellay has been starting from the bench because of his fitness and he will be taking Atiba's place when he's fit.

Are you fricking sane...PSV Eidhoven to have Atiba in the line up...Are you nuts? You know how many "atibas" they have over there?

The adjective I saw applied to Atiba in a few articles about the match was "ijzersterk" -- literally, "iron strong" but probably closer to "rock solid" -- but as our Dutch friend points out, he may have trouble cracking the lineup once Afellay gains his match fitness. That said, I didn't see the match so I don't know exactly where in midfield Atiba played (after all, he can play almost in midfield position) but I know that the man he replaced for this match was not Afellay but Otman Bakkal.

SCF08: What midfield role did Atiba play in this match?

I seen the last 15 minutes and Atiba played center midfield and didn't look out of place but never did anything spectacular. He kept posession well and never gave the ball away and played along side their captain Engelaar, who has 14 caps for the dutch. Afellay played striker, which I found strange given the fact he was a DM for the Dutch this summer. I don't watch PSV so I dunno if this is where he plays for them but I seen him warming up at halftime so I guess he was a substitute.

I know he has a Dutch committment, but just to comment that Jono de Guzman is doing well with Mallorca, who beat At. Madrid 3-2 before the home fans in their official presentation.

Jono played 90 and was subbed out, it seems in the midfield, not going forward as they had signed him supposedly.

He is the only signing to date, the rest are from the youth system.

I know he has a Dutch committment, but just to comment that Jono de Guzman is doing well with Mallorca, who beat At. Madrid 3-2 before the home fans in their official presentation.

Jono played 90 and was subbed out, it seems in the midfield, not going forward as they had signed him supposedly.

He is the only signing to date, the rest are from the youth system.

WOW...Irrespective the financial difficulties,this is something for him to be a started in La-Liga with a tam such as Mallorca...{living on an island etc...}Canada should find out if Holland will take him or not and if not,convince him to go ot the next WC qualification round.{with his brother}

Archived