Osieck named Australia manager

sholtz

If he thought there were big egos in the Canadian side, he's got another thing coming to him now.

Australia will be a tough test for sure, especially now in the AFC, but I've always thought Holger was a smart coach and as long as he can keep the team focused on football (like he did for the successful part of his tenure here) I think he'll do well.

He's got more than a few years of club work under his belt since he parted company with the CSA so it'll be interesting to see were his man-managing and board-room political skills have gotten to since then.

Oh yeah. Should be an interesting ride in Aus and I expect a not too dissimilar experience to what he went through during those years he spent in Canada, both on and off the field.

Yes sir, bit of tough work ahead of him. No doubt about that.

Australia will be a tough test for sure, especially now in the AFC,

It's actually easier to qualify for the World Cup through AFC that it is through OFC. Yeah, you have to play more matches (not necessarily a bad thing), but there's a lot of room for error.

It's actually easier to qualify for the World Cup through AFC that it is through OFC. Yeah, you have to play more matches (not necessarily a bad thing), but there's a lot of room for error.

True, but there are a lot of Asian countries on the rise in international football. Facing the likes of Vanuatu and Fiji in OFC was pretty much a guaranteed ticket to a playoff.

True, but there are a lot of Asian countries on the rise in international football.

That's what Blatter keeps blathering about but I don't think its anything that will make Holger sweat unless he plans on managing Australia for 30 years. That's how long it will take I think because right now China, Saudis, Iran, etc aren't even close to being "good".

I don't know, WCQ doesn't get much easier than in OFC. I just hope that the current qualifying format gets reformed, as right now New Zealand essentially receives a bye to the intercontinental playoff.

I don't know, WCQ doesn't get much easier than in OFC. I just hope that the current qualifying format gets reformed, as right now New Zealand essentially receives a bye to the intercontinental playoff.

Well, it's not exactly a bye into the playoff, but I do see your point.

The difference is though, that in AFC, you can lose a game, and recover just fine. The length of the qualification makes it more forgiving. On the other hand, one bad game for NZ, and they are up the creek. A two game playoff doesn't necessarily allow the best team to win(Champions League Semi-Final as an example).

Archived