Montreal Impact intent on keeping a D2 team

Keano

as it stands right now -- would the mls allow a franchisee to own both an mls franchise and a usl/nasl franchise?

Who said it would be part of the same franchise structure? If it's owned by Saputo seperately from the Impact, with an affiliation it would absolutely be allowed.

Can't understand french so I don't know what the audio file contains.

This is stupid. Saputo needs to step back a bit, because he wants to own everything soccer in Quebec. How ridiculous 2 teams in the Voyageurs Cup owned by the same man would be?

Before a 2nd team in Montreal, there needs to be one in Quebec City, and not owned by Saputo.

Weird.

Would they groundshare at Saputo Stadium? What would the attendance be for D2, if there's MLS in the same city? Would the MLS team be run as a for-profit, and the D2 side as a non-profit?

I doubt the CSA would allow the D2 team to play in the Voyageurs Cup. Although if the USSF has allowed MLS clubs owned by the same group to all contest in the US Open Cup in the past, perhaps that's a precedent that the CSA would point to in order to allow Montreal D2 to play in the Voyageurs Cup.

I agree with Jeremy that a D2 side would be better off in Quebec City.

the D2 league will definitly not be in montreal -- it'll never survive, it will most likely be in quebec city. If saputo wants to retain ownership of his D2 team, it should be his right unless there is a rule in the CSA or USSF that one cannot own a D1 team and D2 team.

This is stupid. Saputo needs to step back a bit, because he wants to own everything soccer in Quebec. How ridiculous 2 teams in the Voyageurs Cup owned by the same man would be?

Before a 2nd team in Montreal, there needs to be one in Quebec City, and not owned by Saputo.

I understand what you're saying, but who else in the province of Quebec is willing to step up and invest in the game? Maybe the Tanguay group that owns and operates the Quebec Ramparts of the QMJHL?

The majority of European nations have Cup competitions that include reserve teams. Sometimes the first and reserve teams even play against each other. There are rules as to which players are allowed to play for which team. As long as the competition is in knockout format there is no problem with this. There would be a problem in the current round robin format but that will have to change anyway once more teams enter the competition.

We have heard rumours that Saputo has USL/NASL exclusivity to Quebec. If that were true (and I am not sure I believe it) I would be against this. In a perfect world all teams would have different owners. However, if noone else is willing to put a team in Quebec City (and I haven't seen anyone show interest so far) then why not Saputo?

Because just like in any other market it is not good to have 1 guy/group enjoying a monopoly.

But maybe you are right, in a market like the Canadian soccer market we do not have the luxury to choose who chooses to invest money in the game.

as it stands right now -- would the mls allow a franchisee to own both an mls franchise and a usl/nasl franchise?
That remains the subject of ongoing negotiation/deliberation and with the USSF about to pronounce on the future of D2 soccer in USA/Canada I would not be surprised to see some MLS rule changes to permit just what you are suggesting.

Because just like in any other market it is not good to have 1 guy/group enjoying a monopoly.

But maybe you are right, in a market like the Canadian soccer market we do not have the luxury to choose who chooses to invest money in the game.

WHen MLS started a few people owned the majority of the teams. We don't yet enjoy the luxury of being so picky and should be grateful that we have folks like Kerfoot and the Saputo family to bankroll our clubs.

That sounds great. They can keep all the current squad playing where they belong in D2 and hire a bunch of real soccer players for MLS :)

The Quebec Quiters? La Nord Nosepickers? Da French Fries? The Poutine Pounders?

Ahhhh. Sorry guys I just couldn't resist, the devil on my left shoulder *****-slapped the angel on my right and I had to post it.

That sounds great. They can keep all the current squad playing where they belong in D2 and hire a bunch of real soccer players for MLS :)

Ahhhh. Sorry guys I just couldn't resist, the devil on my left shoulder *****-slapped the angel on my right and I had to post it.

Use an exclemation mark instead of an i, and the eye is lazy and doesn't really see it when you say things like "b!tch"

Sorry for what? I'd be shocked if anyone other than maybe DiLorenzo, Billy, Jordan and DeRoux stay in 2012. It will be much the same in Vancouver. But this is already discussed in a different thread.

Credit to chaman from the impactsoccer.com forum. According to Jeremy Filosa of CKAC they have announced their intentions to keep a D2 team.

http://www.ckac.com/audioplayer.php?mp3=76992

I'm at work but I'll do a rough translation when I get home... Anyone else who can is warmly invited ;)

I don't know for you guys but the link leads to a blank page now.

Archived