Daniel Fernandes on TSN's Off the Record

tovan1

He was never officially cap-tied by Canada so he didn't have to file the switching paper work, which means he can switch "back" to Canada.

Ahhh... makes sense. Hart should keep him on the radar although not playing regularly could detriment his chance of playing any type of International football. But then again...

He was never officially cap-tied by Canada so he didn't have to file the switching paper work, which means he can switch "back" to Canada.

I may be wrong but I thought you had to switch before a certain age. Also even though he never played in an official match for us, would he have not had to have been registered to the Canadian federation even to play friendlies, ie. some sort of switch was still necessary to play for Portugal. It is probably moot but it would be interesting to know the exact rules.

I always cut DF a little more slack than some of the other guys that switched since at the time of the switch it seemed like the choice was play for Portugal or do not play internationally because our coaches seemed uninterested in him playing for us. We could have certainly used him for a long time. However, at the moment he is the backup keeper for a Romanian club while Hirsch is the starting keeper for one of the better Norwegian clubs and Borjan is the starting keeper for a mid-table Turkish club. It never hurts to have depth and he is probably a significant step up from Kenny but even were he to switch I think he would be the 3rd keeper for us at the moment. And given that he is not that much higher up the Canadian depth chart than the Portugese it is hard to see him switching at this point even if it were possible. He is still reasonably young for a keeper at 28 but he had a good run at PAOK and then we decent at Bochum in his first season before losing the starting job at the end of the season (spring 2009). For the past two and a half years his career has been spiralling downward. Maybe he will get things back together but it is hard to imagine a switch at this point.

Pretty sure under the old or new rules a youth friendly never ties a player to a country, so they can switch to play for another country without filing the paperwork. The problem with guys like Bunbury and Lensky were that they played official youth games for us and thus were cap-tied and had to file the papers to switch. Fernandes should not have had to do that.

Archived