Red Bull NY vs. Toronto FC - Aug 11th

jpg75

TFC make their first visit to the new Red Bull Arena this Wednesday.

Watched RBNY draw 0-0 at Chicago last night, they seemed to push the game a little more than their opponents and were all over them at the end of the game.

Henry was subbed out just before HT with a slight hamstring pull the announcers said it wasn't serious and that he was taken out as a precaution. Even so, i wouldn't count on him playing in 2 days time.

Marquez was expected to go 45 minutes and he was left out there until the 60th when Stammler entered the game.

Marquez was expected to go 45 minutes and he was left out there until the 60th when Stammler entered the game.

...playing in midfield. I liked what I saw of him at the WC in that deep lying holding mid spot: reads the play, can break it up, and initiate a counterattack with his excellent range of passing. I envisioned Jakovic in the same role for us with the NT but that won't happen any time soon.

Lindpere ended up not getting called up for Estonia.

I'm thinking (former Estonian national team manager and current Red Bulls head coach) Hans Backe called in a favour to keep Lindpere in NY for this one.

MLS continues to screw over its fans by scheduling fixtures on dates reserved for FIFA internationals.

Isn't there some sort of MLS supporters' union that can get a fan petition going against league matches on international dates?

Works for TFC tonight, Marquez, Coundoul, Richards and Miller all gone.

Sutton starts watch him just shut the door or let in 5.

Let me start my post by saying that I am a big fan of De-Ro, he's a great player that leads by example. Now, my rant. I'm interested to see if I'm the only person that see's this in De-Ro.

In the first half last night, De-Ro displayed a side of him that upsets me as a supporter! When things don't go his way, he gives up. He looses interest. He behalves like he doesn't want to be on the pitch. After the 1st goal, he seemed to lose interest in the first half. He rolled his eyes and he stopped hustling like his team mates.

When he gets the ball taken from him, he gives up. On one play, when that happened, he gave up, despite De Guzman winning the ball back and creating another opportunity. As a result, he looked out of position to make the play.

After Mista was substituted, it appeared the two DP's De Guzman and Mista were playing for something. Ironically, its usually the Euro-bred DP types that feel their too good for the league (ie Ljungberg). But I find De-Ro behalves in a similar fashion when he doesn't get the foul he wanted called, or he gets an off-sides call he didn't like, or they go down a goal, or he gets the ball taken from him.

Up against a player like Henry, I thought I'd see the best in De-Ro. Instead, I think De Guzman had one of his better games.

In the 2nd half, De-Ro smartened up. But as the Captain, he needs to be able to motivate himself all the time. He shouldn't need a prep talk from Preki to get himself motivated. If Preki were to bench him for this behavior in the first half, I don't know if I'll disagree with the move.

Let me start my post by saying that I am a big fan of De-Ro, he's a great player that leads by example. Now, my rant. I'm interested to see if I'm the only person that see's this in De-Ro.

When he gets the ball taken from him, he gives up. On one play, when that happened, he gave up, despite De Guzman winning the ball back and creating another opportunity. As a result, he looked out of position to make the play.

Up against a player like Henry, I thought I'd see the best in De-Ro. Instead, I think De Guzman had one of his better games.

I wouldn't disagree, kyam. I thought it was an off-night for DDR, but I've seen glimpses of the same on past games including the ones against Montagua. He just hung on to the ball far too long instead of laying it off for another to make a quick play. I just dunno; it's pretty much what Grizzly says about him when DDR plays with the MNT.

However TFC really had very poor finishing, which caused the loss . Petersen should have scored, he was pretty much lost on the field, and

I was glad when he was subbed out. O'Brian White ... well, like DDR he kept the ball on his feet when he should have shot inside the box. Another frustrating guy.

But good match for Julian, Nana, and Adrian Cann. Boy, Cann's surely improved from that newbie that was burned a lot by the St. VAG forwards in Montreal.

I wouldn't disagree, kyam. I thought it was an off-night for DDR, but I've seen glimpses of the same on past games including the ones against Montagua. He just hung on to the ball far too long instead of laying it off for another to make a quick play. I just dunno; it's pretty much what Grizzly says about him when DDR plays with the MNT.

However TFC really had very poor finishing, which caused the loss . Petersen should have scored, he was pretty much lost on the field, and

I was glad when he was subbed out. O'Brian White ... well, like DDR he kept the ball on his feet when he should have shot inside the box. Another frustrating guy.

But good match for Julian, Nana, and Adrian Cann. Boy, Cann's surely improved from that newbie that was burned a lot by the St. VAG forwards in Montreal.

I find that Peterson has his moments, just never in front of the net :D... but every once in a while I see a glimse of flair. Maybe I'm mistaking a few lucky dribble for flair... but he panics in front of the net and some times lacks discipline in front of officials with his random tantrums.

When things aren't going right, he tries to do too much and force the issue, like JDG. Mind you, if I gave the ball on a a platter to Peterson and he proceeded to use a rec league/beer league quality finishing technique like he demonstrated last night, I'd be having second thoughts about giving him the ball, too.

Speaking of JDG, he's received plenty of criticism for his play thus far this year. I actually thought he battled hard last night but with little support from the other mids. With him out of the line up for the return fixture at home vs the same opponent, I don't particularly like the prospects of our central midfield candidates against the likes of Marquez and Lindpere but we'll see how things turn out next week.

Archived