Monsalve looks to regain form

powerof11

14 hours ago, Shway said:

It’s unnecessary hype, that can end up downplaying a players career because they were overhyped with so much “importance”.

I guess it’s more nostalgia than anything.

This is so so so true!     I hate overhype because thats exactly what it does in my opinion.   For the reasons that you mention but also what it could do to a kid psychologically.  When a kid reads that there are several, people on a forum talking about him in glowing terms, thats bound to give him over confidence and think subconciously that he doesn’t have to work as hard as he previously did. Which in turn screws up his development.

There will always be prospects and people/organizations use that to give you hope so you stay attached.  Its marketing tool.  I am convinced that, over the years,  some of that chatter here on this forum did just that; hurt some careers.  And, i have even wondered or suspected if some of the overhype i have seen purposeful trolling.

Yes,  its nice to be informed.   We want to be informed if an organizion likes a kid and sees promise.   But these are just projections and there is no point of comparaison or way to relate those abilities.  So its one thing to be aware, its another thing to be bitching and complaining at a coach because some teenager is not in the starting lineup.  

Edited by Free kick

• 1 year later...