Canadian U17 Player to play for US

masster

Ah crap that's really unfortunate. I followed some links to his clubs website back in the spring and it turns out his team have been very successful - they won some regional titles and stuff the past couple of years. I guess based on this callup he was a big reason for their success.

edit: Here's what i'm refering to:

http://www.eteamz.com/94geboys/

National Finalists as U15's last year, multiple Arizona State Champs...

Concidentally, Sereno is also the home club of Sydney Leroux :(

http://www.serenosoccer.com/home/451187.html

I'm curious how much of a pull the residency program is to young players. Earlier this year I head Tony Fonseca the U-20 coach at the time, and Stephen Hart say that getting a national residency program for U-17's similar to the one that US Soccer runs is not a high priority and that there are better options for kids. But at the moment as has been talked about at great lengths there is no place in Canada for the elite 14-18 year-olds to make that next jump. Maybe a U-17 residency program would be a good thing to have just on the sole basis of keeping kids in Canada.

I'd like to see provincial assocations set up academy type non residential schooling programs, similar to what has recently been set up in Manitoba by the MSA, but with an emphasis on junior high aged kids rather than the current grade 9-12 high school program in Winnipeg. I'd love to see the top players in each major provincial center going to the same school, playing soccer daily in a highly competitive environment with high level coaching in a soccer specific school environment. Theres no need to actually live together in my opinion. This could improve the level of young talent in the country by leaps and bounds and wouldnt be that expensive with a partnership with a specific local school exactly like what's taken place in Winnipeg.

The CSA and provincial programs dont really have a million dollars laying around for a residency program, as much as I wish they did.

Archived