Jackson to start Norwich City opener

Guest Doyle

I realise that I should probably know the answer to this one by now, but I don't....

Does Norwich play with a one striker formation? Or are there simply two strikers ahead of Jacko in the pecking order (I.e. Holt + another one)?

From the highlights I saw of Grant Holt last year, he was quite prolific with his goal-scoring but didn't seem to be much more than Norwich's answer to Garret Kusch. A lumbering front-man with a knack for getting into the right places. I wonder if Holt will be able to score a similar amount at Championship level given the increased quality of the opposition.

From my own observation, and from Jackson's former manager Mark Stimson's as well, Simeon seems to be a player who will excel with good service in to feet. And lord knows he got woeful service with the Gills, especially during the second half of last season.

Jacko needs to go on a hot streak early to get his confidence high at this level, it is going to be by far the toughest level he has played at, and if he wants to cement himself in Canada's top 18 he needs to score goals for Norwich.

Good luck to Simeon! And let's hope Hume and Peters can join him in reviving the Canadian presence in the Championship.

This is turning out to be a very entertaining match. Jackson hasn't had to do much, but what he has done so far has been very good. Particularly, his positioning and link up play with the midfielders. That back heel that set up Norwich's goal was something I'd expect from a top four Premier League club... brilliant!

This is turning out to be a very entertaining match. Jackson hasn't had to do much, but what he has done so far has been very good. Particularly, his positioning and link up play with the midfielders. That back heel that set up Norwich's goal was something I'd expect from a top four Premier League club... brilliant!

He was just subbed off for the man with the court appearance today. I thought he played well, hit the side of the net on a half chance and had a couple shots blocked. Your right that was a nifty play to set up the goal. Hopefully they will be happy with him and he'll continue to get minutes.

He was just subbed off for the man with the court appearance today. I thought he played well, hit the side of the net on a half chance and had a couple shots blocked. Your right that was a nifty play to set up the goal. Hopefully they will be happy with him and he'll continue to get minutes.

It appears the substitution has not had the desired effect. Watford now 3-1 up 10 minutes to go.

Well Norwich did get another one back in the 90th minute but it wasn't enough. 3-2 Watford. A lot better for Norwich than last year's 7-1 season opening loss to Colchester though. I think Lambert should be pretty happy with Jackson's performance anyway.

Well Norwich did get another one back in the 90th minute but it wasn't enough. 3-2 Watford. A lot better for Norwich than last year's 7-1 season opening loss to Colchester though. I think Lambert should be pretty happy with Jackson's performance anyway.

His speed was as advertised. He wasn't really a factor physically in winning balls in the air in the box but that's to be expected I think. Seemed like it took Norwich a little while to figure out to play to his feet, the high crosses were not going to work. Hopefully he can play with Holt up front to have that balance of speed and power between the two of them. I guess we'll see.

I thought Jackson looked lively and moved the ball well. He's also a better player with his back to goal than I think a lot of people on here give him credit for. In the first half he turned his defender very well with his back to goal. Thought Norwich actually looked pretty good going forward, but some of the defending was very poor...

This was a little Blurb about Jackson in the Guardian....

...and seven minutes after the break Wes Hoolahan's driving run and Jackson's intelligent back-heel gave Crofts, running into space in the penalty area, the chance to drive a shot firmly beyond Loach.

Feedback from what appears to be a supporters forum:

Jackson - 6. Isn't a target man so why did we use him as one? A fair debut and linked up well with Chrissy and lovely backheel to set up Crofts.

Jackson - 6.5: Felt a little sorry for him to be honest. Long balls and hoofed clearances never gave him a chance. Exceptional back heel to set up the goal, made a number of runs off the shoulder but never got the service.

Jackson - 6. Lovely flick for Crofts goal and got into some promsiing positions. Needs a Holt alongside him to get the better service.

Jackson - 6. Gets an average score because the service to him was not there. He badly needs a goal now to boost his confidence. I was pleased to see him trying things (including that back heel as this means he is keeping his head up). For me though, he is likely to be an impact player from the bench.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived