Australia's A-League begins season on Thursday - Predictions?

Cooks

Because we are all addicted to the sport, another league to follow and try to grab bragging rights for is the good ol' league from the "Land Down Under."

Who do you think will take the season or hoist the championship this year?

The choices have increased:

1 Adelaide United FC

2 Brisbane Roar FC

3 Central Coast Mariners FC

4 Gold Coast United (new last year)

5 Melbourne Heart FC (new this season - yes, we've got a real derby now)

6 Melbourne Victory FC

7 Newcastle Jets FC

8 North Queensland Fury (new last year)

9 Perth Glory FC

10 Sydney FC (reigning champions)

11 Wellington Phoenix FC (the New Zealand representative)

Just make a pick and see how it goes.

I saw Sydney FC play Perth Glory 2 years ago in Sydney. John Aloisi got boo'ed off the pitch by the Sydney supporters. It was an absolute crap match.

That was early in the season. MLS always has some howlers early on. Didn't that "crap match" see seven goals? I'm just trying to boost a league in a country that has similar population and some travel issues similar to Canada.

I reckon that Melbourne Heart will challenge at the top of the table this season. They have brought in what appears to be a quality, Dutch coaching team and have signed some of their rivals' most influential players from last season. They look to have done very well in recruitment out of the gate. In the four and a half years I've lived in Melbourne, I've given Victory numerous opportunities to win me over but have never been overly inspired, even though they've generally been the top club in the country for most of that time. I'm now going with Heart to see how they do. Looking forward to Robbie Fowler coming back to town this year, as well.

I reckon that Melbourne Heart will challenge at the top of the table this season. They have brought in what appears to be a quality, Dutch coaching team and have signed some of their rivals' most influential players from last season. They look to have done very well in recruitment out of the gate. In the four and a half years I've lived in Melbourne, I've given Victory numerous opportunities to win me over but have never been overly inspired, even though they've generally been the top club in the country for most of that time. I'm now going with Heart to see how they do. Looking forward to Robbie Fowler coming back to town this year, as well.

What kind of people are picking up this team? You'd figure the Victory have most of the support in Melbourne. What makes people want to support this team over the Victory?

Well, with a population of over 4 million, there is more than enough love to be spread around. Its many times larger than a city like Glasgow, Scotland, home to two titans. Though, there is not the sectarian nonsense that would split the populace so clearly. Alas, you can't even say it was geographically motivated, as both clubs will play out of the same stadium.

So, as it stands so far:

Melbourne Heart - SthMelbRed

Gold Coast United - jasonm

Perth Glory - Cooks

Who's going to give props to:

Adelaide United FC

Brisbane Roar FC

Central Coast Mariners

Melbourne Victory

Newcastle Jets

North Queensland Fury

Sydney FC

Wellington Phoenix

There's just one day left to get bragging rights to a club in a league that you probably don't really follow. Remember when we all chose a non-league English conference club to follow for a year? It was a gas. I still have a soft spot for Hereford United.

What kind of people are picking up this team? You'd figure the Victory have most of the support in Melbourne. What makes people want to support this team over the Victory?

When the A League was created, FFA decided to develop on the 'one city, one team' model rather than simply promoting the best of the existing clubs that formerly competed in the old NSL. This was an attempt to draw a line under the historical ethnic conflicts that plagued the old NSL (most clubs were historically Greek - South Melbourne Hellas, Italian - Brunswick Juventus, Croatian - Melbourne Knights, etc.) and, in the opinion of many, held back the growth of the game. On the one hand, this was great because all of the various ethnic groups united behind Victory, as Melbourne's club. On the other hand, this castrated the biggest of the old NSL clubs. South, Knights, and Juventus used to be the powerhouses representing Melbourne's Greeks, Croats, and Italians in the national league and drawing five figure crowds. Now they are mostly non-entities in the state Premier League due to their finances being a shambles - something that the hardcore blame on the A League and Melbourne Victory. After five years of shying away from Australia's top-flight, Melbourne Heart hope to tap into this potential market, as well as people like me, new to Australia after the inception of the A League that haven't formed a strong attachment to Victory, to build up a base of support. Many in this city will attend both clubs' matches as they'll be home on alternating weekends, as well. Plus, they're going to be a better team this year, so they might poach some glory-hunters from Victory, as well. That's it, in a nutshell.

Nice. This list grows:

Melbourne Heart - SthMelbRed

Gold Coast United - jasonm

Perth Glory - Cooks + Sigma

Wellington Phoenix - TheKottonmouthed + ob1

North Queensland Fury - Soro17

Adelaide United - Alex D

Central Coast Mariners - Andrew W

Sydney FC - Soccerpro

Melbourne Victory - beachesl

Just 2 more spots to fill for quality trash talking. Who knows, maybe we could arrange a prize for the winner (geographically difficult, but in theory, not impossible).

Up for grabs:

Brisbane Roar

Newcastle Jets

As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short. Align me with the Central Coast Mariners.

Where I grew up is a mountain ski community and we used to get several Aussies wintering in town to ski and board. A stunner from Gosford area had me captivated for several months ... damn near followed her down under. Gorgeous fire red hair and deep blue eyes that ... er, sorry.

Go Mariners! Guess I'm a Marinator.

Prize should be a jar of Vegemite.

That would probably see people dropping out of the competition.

Interestingly enough, nobody seems to want to back the usual powerhouse clubs. Four left. It's not too late.

Soro17, you got lucky................92nd minute equalizer..................unbelievable................

Well, to this point, the only one smiling is Andrew W and the only one frowning is SthMelbRed. The rest of us are all square (in the sense of points - I'm sure you are all hip in your own way).

We have two clubs with two followers, but sadly, still have two clubs not spoken for. I'm looking for any hearty souls to take on the task of claiming Brisbane or Newcastle as your own. Remember, it is totally free (of money, knowledge, experience, or, to be honest, much further attention).

Step right up...

Damn, I've been loosely following the phoenix since they moved to wellington, but since they're already taken... I guess I'll take Queensland.. er.. Brisbane Roar for no other reason than I've been to Brisbane but not Newcastle. I'm guessing they changed their name to brisbane roar last year after the two expansion teams popped up in their state?

Well 5 minutes to kick off, I was thinking of popping down to the game tonight but it’s a classic Wellington wintery evening, rain, wind & more rain. So I’ll stay home and watch from the comfy confines of the couch.

Round two kicks off with the Phoenix taking on Gold Coast United, it should be a dandy. Gold Coast are certain to remember their last visit here (a 6-0 Phoenix thrashing). And if that’s not enough, the Phoenix haven’t lost at home in their last 19 games, going back to 2008. Also throw into the mix that Gold Coat is lead by two former Phoenix players, Kiwi world cup hero Shane Smeltz and backup goalie Glen Moss.

The rest of the round 2 draw:

Friday August 13: Wellington v Gold Coast U, Newcastle Jets v Melb Heart

Saturday August 14: NQ Fury v Sydney FC, Melb Victory v Perth Glory

Sunday August 15: CC Mariners v Adelaide U

Archived