BC Place's Magnificent New Retractable Roof taking shape!

Guest 120 dB

Guest 120 dB

Seen the huge masts going up on the rim around BC Place? What a magnificent roof it will be, probably bigger than the stadium itself!

4857574019_26b5d1eb24_b.jpg

I have a feeling this roof is gonna be the end of BC place as we know it.

This large amount of money is gonna need to be recouped, I feel its gonna go to a sponsorship. Like GM is now Rogers Area, I feel once this roof is don't BC Place will be looking for a new name in sponsor form. Which is a shame I do hpe they can keep the BC Place name somehow.

well if it is changed evenutally the name BC place will dissapear, it may take years, but you know what I mean.

Just like GM place will be frogotten eventually under the name Rogers Arena.

I didn't know it had changed. When did that happen?

I don't know if it's true, but apparently you get in real crap if you call Rogers Center The Skydome when you work there.

I didn't know it had changed. When did that happen?

I don't know if it's true, but apparently you get in real crap if you call Rogers Center The Skydome when you work there.

It hasn't changed yet, but I just assume that it will ahve to take on a sponsorship name after using nearly 400million to build a new roof for it. The Lions and Caps aren't gonna bring that kind of revenue back to BC place, sadly.

and GM was changed sometime last month, after a new sponser deal with Rogers was worked out as GM is like bankrupt and can't afford to have there name on GM place anymore.

Who cares if the name changes? It will recoup money to help pay for the cost of the roof and save taxpayers money! Bring on the Telus Dome.

Many Arsenal fans refuse to call the Emirates anything other than Ashburton Grove (Some none Arsenal even call it "The New Library":D). The sponsorship will eventually end or be rebranded, and the stadium will still be in in Ashburton Grove not somewhere in the Middle East.

If the BC Dome was built as the BC Dome then its still the BC Dome so it is. It does not matter what the sportscasters or the promo-men call it or rebrand it. Anyone read Ray Bradburys Fahrenheit 451 will know what I'm getting at.

I will ask one more Question. Have the Glazziers been able to 'rebrand' Old Trafford?

If BC Dome is in your heart then it always will be. Go Whitecaps!:eek:(did i just say that?)

Who cares if the name changes? It will recoup money to help pay for the cost of the roof and save taxpayers money! Bring on the Telus Dome.

No tax payer money was spent on the roof. Pavco financed it through the selling of former Expo lands i believe.

Correct, in large part if not in full. From the very beginning the new roof project was contingent upon the sale of those lands to defray the bulk of the cost.

Something else so many critics of the new roof project overlook is that the old roof had passed the end of its design life and something was needed to replace it.

Godspeed and good luck, it will be a world class venue and a perfect home for the Whitecaps and Lions... I wish every city in Canada had tiers of government even a tenth as progressive. But saying no taxpayer money is like saying I didn't spend a dime when you sell your house to buy a new car. The taxpayers are still contributing half a billion dollars from their assets.

I didn't suggest that the taxpayer was not contributing anything, it is a publicly owned and operated facility. The interior non-roof related improvements were indeed funded by the taxpayer for the 2010 Olympics but the taxpayer is not footing the whole bill for the $500+ million roof upgrade, not by a long way. The Expo Lands are/were worth a fortune, prime vacant real estate right in downtown Vancouver, the most expensive city in the country.

You are right, it should be a world class facility when it's done but the playing surface will still be FieldTurf which will annoy some. Hardcore Whitecaps fans still long for our outdoor Waterfront Stadium one day.

Guest 120 dB

Third mast is going up now. Why haven't the Whitecaps or Lions signed Leases with Pavco yet? What's the holdup? Is there uncertainty that the Whitecaps and Lions will play in Dupont Field at BC Place (that will be the new name).

And I hear Pavco wants to lock the Whitecaps into a 15 year Lease agreement and the Whitecaps are resisting cause there's a secret plan for the Waterfront Stadium for 2015 - 2016.

I also hear the new Stadium won't be finished till November 2011 so the Whitecaps and Lions will have to play almost all of next season 2011 also at Empire.

It's just that this hasn't gone public yet. But we have to face the fact that Pavco has been saying all along that the first event at the new BC Place will be the Grey Cup and that's not till November 2011.

Clarification?

Guest 120 dB

then why the hell are the Whitecaps promoting their season ticket packages around BC Place if they won't be playing in there till 2012?

give me a break

• 5 weeks later...
It looks like this heavy new roof will overload the structure and cause cracking

is that your opinion or is it someone else's (ie an engineer or writer)? I have read elsewhere about the extensive structural and geotechnical work that preceded the raising of the first masts... I don't mean this in an antagonistic way, I'm truly curious.

Thanks for the photo, by the way. Please update us on this as/if you can.

Archived