TFC Academy @ SUM U17 cup

ag futbol

Well results aren't the only thing you measure, but it sounds like we weren't very competitive which doesn't make for a positive outing.

I haven't heard much about the academy and the way they operate. They seem to like the raw, athletic types. Personally, I was hoping they'd push more of the technical side of the game, but I assume they can still be successful with their own methods.

Either way pressure should be on these guys to start graduating players, this thing isn't new anymore.

Either way pressure should be on these guys to start graduating players, this thing isn't new anymore.

Yeah, other teams have already started doing it. You'd think TFC would be the most active team in this regards since we need more Canadians for roster purposes.

From the write-ups it sounds as though TFC were the smaller more technical team, but were overmatched physically by the bigger, stronger US Academy teams.

This is what I'm thinking. Makes more sense in all honesty.

From Neely after the loss to Chivas:

“We were awarded a penalty and missed another chance to be on top. Following that we had several set pieces and breakaways that we failed to complete. There are two glaring differences between ourselves and the other MLS Academies; the physical build of the players and their ability to score goals by key players.”

“There are very big boys here who can play, and we are a very small technical team in comparison. It is all well and good saying they are not 3-0 games but we must find ways to finish just one of our many chances created. We are playing good football and battling well – we literally simply need the finishing touch.”

Yeah, other teams have already started doing it. You'd think TFC would be the most active team in this regards since we need more Canadians for roster purposes.

They are pretty close. Doneil Henry was right behind Preki on the TFC bench last night in Kansas, presumably to get accustomed to travelling with the first side and to continue training with them.

Watching the highlights of the TFC/Houston game (2 min), I don't see a huge difference in size.

http://houtv.neulion.com/mlsvp/

*At the bottom of the video screen there is a section of videos to choose from. 5th one over is the TFC/Houston game.

What I don't like in Neely's statement was the fact that they "have to get physically bigger". Did he mean, they need to start training the boys to get stronger or start looking at bigger players. If it's the latter, this is one of the reason why Canada is so piss poor. Choose players that are going to be "players" in the future and not selecting the Lombardo's of the soccer world. I have no problem with taking younger players to these tournaments. Who really wins these tournaments shouldn't be after the week - but who develops the most players from that weekend!

Here are highlights from the DC United/Real Salt Lake shootout final where the DC United keeper stopped 5 straight PK's (and scored the winner)!

http://www.potomacsoccerwire.com/news/458/12133

Apparently they lost the third game, then beat LA Galaxy 4-3 in PKs. The 5th game was cancelled due to poor weather.

Also, the team was an U16 squad, while the US teams were U17.

Quotes from Neely & Dichio on torontofc.ca

Archived