2010-11 CONCACAF Champion's League - Other matches

Just saw the highlights from the RSL - Cruz Azul game and there's reason for RSL to protest that matches officials. RSL should have been credited with a goal in the 1st minute but it was disallowed by a phantom offside call. Then when Cruz Azul scored the opener 4 minutes later it should have been blown dead. Cruz Azul took the free kick that sent the goal scorer through when the ball was still moving.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just saw the highlights from the RSL - Cruz Azul game and there's reason for RSL to protest that matches officials. RSL should have been credited with a goal in the 1st minute but it was disallowed by a phantom offside call. Then when Cruz Azul scored the opener 4 minutes later it should have been blown dead. Cruz Azul took the free kick that sent the goal scorer through when the ball was still moving.

Yeah, but the penalty against Azul seemed very harsh too. The calls went both ways. When you concede 4 good goals in the last 10 minutes of a match, you have no grounds to complain about officiating.

Yeah, but the penalty against Azul seemed very harsh too. The calls went both ways. When you concede 4 good goals in the last 10 minutes of a match, you have no grounds to complain about officiating.

You have every ground to complain about bad officiating, AND you let in four bad goals. Bad officiating is still unaccaptable period. Coming from a hockey background it is the single most frustrating hump for me to get over with in soccer.

You have every ground to complain about bad officiating, AND you let in four bad goals. Bad officiating is still unaccaptable period. Coming from a hockey background it is the single most frustrating hump for me to get over with in soccer.

I've seen plenty of god awful hockey refereeing, maybe because of the higher goal-scoroing it doesn't have as much impact on a game.

I've seen plenty of god awful hockey refereeing, maybe because of the higher goal-scoroing it doesn't come under as much impact on a game.

Yes, but soccer refs don't have to answer press questions the same day or if ever. Hockey refs that make bad calls are heckled by players, coaches, fans, media, their wives, and small children until they backpeddle and apologize. Also hockey added another ref for the extra pair of eyes a few years ago, and it was very progressive with adding instant replay in many circumstances. I will never say it is perfect, but it is world's apart from the blatently bad officiating in CANCACAF. I think it is so bad that it might be purposeful.

And you are right about how precious soccer goals are. A ref that blows an offside call on one end and then calls a bad penelty shot on the other end just made a game 1 - 0 backwards of what it should be. Stupid! So corrupt. I feel bad for both teams, their players, and fans.

Yes, but soccer refs don't have to answer press questions the same day or if ever. Hockey refs that make bad calls are heckled by players, coaches, fans, media, their wives, and small children until they backpeddle and apologize. Also hockey added another ref for the extra pair of eyes a few years ago, and it was very progressive with adding instant replay in many circumstances. I will never say it is perfect, but it is world's apart from the blatently bad officiating in CANCACAF. I think it is so bad that it might be purposeful.

I highly disagree that hockey refs are put under more scrutiny than soccer refs. It's completely the other way around IMO. Highlight and other news shows almost never spend a lot of time discussing a poor referring decision in hockey like what happens all the time in soccer. There is no "Match of the Day" equivalent in the hockey world. If there was a poor decision in an NHL game in Dallas, a person in Toronto watching SportsCenter that evening will probably never even find out about it.

And you are right about how precious soccer goals are. A ref that blows an offside call on one end and then calls a bad penelty shot on the other end just made a game 1 - 0 backwards of what it should be. Stupid! So corrupt. I feel bad for both teams, their players, and fans.

And that's pretty much why soccer refs are put under greater scrutiny than hockey refs. But I don't think they are necessarily worse. Their job just has a greater impact on the result. Also you don't watch the German second-divison hockey league, which is pretty much the equivalent to the CONCACAF Champions League and MLS in the soccer world.

• 3 weeks later...

Decent match between CD FAS and Puerto Rico. FAS looks the better side... at times, then all of a sudden one of PR's players will grab the game by the horns and just about pull something out for them. Definitely see either a 0-0 or 1-1 scoreline to this one. If PR score first, FAS will equalize. If FAS score first, I don't know if PR will be able to equalize.

Just to note - RSL is up 3-1 vs Arabe, and Will Johnson has scored 2 of the 3 for RSL.

That match was in Panama so that's a horrible result for us.

Group A Standings:

RSL 9 Pts

CA 7 Pts

TFC 4 Pts

Arabe 3Pts

We host RSL next week and Cruz Azul hosts Arabe, so that's a must-win for us now. If we and CA both win that would give CA 10, RSL 9, TFC 7. Because of goal differential we'll need Cruz Azul to go into Utah on the last matchday and beat RSL while we beat Arabe Unido at home. Then we'd have CA 13, TFC 10, RSL 9 and we'd be through to the QF's.

That match was in Panama so that's a horrible result for us.

Group A Standings:

RSL 9 Pts

CA 7 Pts

TFC 4 Pts

Arabe 3Pts

We host RSL next week and Cruz Azul hosts Arabe, so that's a must-win for us now. If we and CA both win that would give CA 10, RSL 9, TFC 7. Because of goal differential we'll need Cruz Azul to go into Utah on the last matchday and beat RSL while we beat Arabe Unido at home. Then we'd have CA 13, TFC 10, RSL 9 and we'd be through to the QF's.

Best case scenario for TFC is an unexpected tie between CA and Arabe which would see this standing:

RSL 9 pts

CA 8 pts

TFC 7 pts

Arabe 4 pts

It doesn't allow CA a tie in their last fixture with RSL and a TFC win against Arabe seems them through!

^ Not yet. TFC wins their last two games, they come out with 10 points. If you would have told me they would have 10 points at the beginning of the round, I would have been happy with that. Where they did fall down (after taking 4 points from Cruz Azul) was that 0-1 loss to the Panamanians.

Best case scenario for TFC is an unexpected tie between CA and Arabe which would see this standing:

There's about a 1 in a million chance of that happening. Cruz Azul crushed Arabe Unido in Panama last week, i'm sure it will be a similar outcome in Mexico City next week. Our best hope is for Cruz Azul to walk into Rio Tinto Stadium and beat RSL.

The problem is that if we beat RSL (which is a must), and CA beat Aribe in Mexico (which is almost a given), the standings will look like this:

CA 10 Pts

RSL 9 Pts

TFC 7 Pts

Arabe 3Pts

CA has a +9 goal differential versus TFC right now, and that is without padding it further in their game against Aribe. So, in all probability, they will go into Utah and not need to get a result to advance to the next round of the CCL.

Preki's Panamainian stupidity could cost us a spot in the next round despite winning all home games and stealing a point in Mexico.

^ Not yet. TFC wins their last two games, they come out with 10 points. If you would have told me they would have 10 points at the beginning of the round, I would have been happy with that. Where they did fall down (after taking 4 points from Cruz Azul) was that 0-1 loss to the Panamanians.

I'm talking about Seattle's 0-2 lead. Not TFC, this is a thread for the ''other matches'' ;)

If RSL would beat CA it would be even better. Both RSL and TFC advance. A tie would be disastrous.

FYI -Tie break rules per concacaf

Phase 2: Group Stage

• Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams

concerned

• Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned

• Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between

the teams concerned

• Reapply first three criteria if two or more teams are still tied

• Greater goal difference in all group matches

• Greater number of goals scored in group matches

• Greater number of goals scored away in all group Matches

• Drawing of lots

So TFC definitely beats CA on the tie-break - but would have to beat RSL by more than 3 to beat them in a tie break. Is a 3-way tie possible still?

Archived