The very first Academy kid with the Impact

Jeremy

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/soccer/impact/201007/24/01-4300966-kevin-cossette-le-premier-des-academiciens.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B20_en-manchette_690_section_POS1

Kevin Cossette is the very first player from the Academy (not the Attak) to move up to the first team. He played roughly 30 minutes against Rochester this season before hurting his ankle. He has shown a lot of good things with the academy and his USSF-2 debut was promising enough to hope he makes the MLS squad.

Do you see him hanging around the Impact long enough for that?

Good luck to the young lad and let's hope he can develop into a useful and dedicated player, and why not maybe an international Canuck :)!

In fact, he has played in 3 NASL matches this season: 8 minutes at Rochester (July 3rd), 6 minutes vs Carolina (July 14th), and 10 minutes vs Baltimore (July 18th).

Impact fans should be excited to see their academy producing so soon, but the young player they should be most excited about is Agourram, who graduated from the Attak program, and is actually almost a full year younger than Cossette.

Good article, though.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/soccer/impact/201007/24/01-4300966-kevin-cossette-le-premier-des-academiciens.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B20_en-manchette_690_section_POS1

Kevin Cossette is the very first player from the Academy (not the Attak) to move up to the first team. He played roughly 30 minutes against Rochester this season before hurting his ankle. He has shown a lot of good things with the academy and his USSF-2 debut was promising enough to hope he makes the MLS squad.

Do you see him hanging around the Impact long enough for that?

Good luck to the young lad and let's hope he can develop into a useful and dedicated player, and why not maybe an international Canuck :)!

Bummer that he sprained his ankle and will be out for a while. I think this kid could play, hope he gets another shot when healthy.

Reda Agourram is at another level, infact I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave for europe in the very near future.

Bummer that he sprained his ankle and will be out for a while. I think this kid could play, hope he gets another shot when healthy.

Reda Agourram is at another level, infact I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave for europe in the very near future.

Lets not put the cart before the horse.

I'm not to sure about that ....we'll see how he performs down the stretch. Having said that , he has picked up the pace immensely in the last few games

Yes Reda has been decent and has a lot of talent but how exactly is a striker with 2 goals in 15 appearances at another level? Before he attracts any interest from Europe he will have to establish himself as a starting USL striker first.

Yes Reda has been decent and has a lot of talent but how exactly is a striker with 2 goals in 15 appearances at another level? Before he attracts any interest from Europe he will have to establish himself as a starting USL striker first.

All it takes is a European Club that is willing to work with a 5'11" 19 year old striker who played well against both Fiorentina and AC Milan. I just have a feeling that this kid is destined to bigger and better things. Of course I could be wrong, but I have been around long enough to know better.

Don't forget that IMFC might not be ideal for his development, If he were to go to a Bundesliga club, for example, rest assured that they would do everything necessary to nurture his talent.

^^ Except that he is already pretty old at 19 for a European club to sign him to an academy program based on talent and potential. There are lots of strikers who run around and look good without putting the ball in the net. If he were to sign with a European team right now he would be sent to their reserve or youth team. If he went to a Bundesliga club he would spend the rest of the year playing in either the Junior Bundesliga or 4th division and I am not sure that would benefit him more than playing for the Impact. He has looked good at times and seems to have talent but at the end of the day he is a striker who scored 2 goals in 15 appearances. If he comes on in the 2nd half of the season like Haber did last year and scores a lot of goals then he might draw some European interest. But until he starts scoring more regularly he hasn't proved that he belongs with the first team let alone is at another level.

^^ Except that he is already pretty old at 19 for a European club to sign him to an academy program based on talent and potential. There are lots of strikers who run around and look good without putting the ball in the net. If he were to sign with a European team right now he would be sent to their reserve or youth team. If he went to a Bundesliga club he would spend the rest of the year playing in either the Junior Bundesliga or 4th division and I am not sure that would benefit him more than playing for the Impact. He has looked good at times and seems to have talent but at the end of the day he is a striker who scored 2 goals in 15 appearances. If he comes on in the 2nd half of the season like Haber did last year and scores a lot of goals then he might draw some European interest. But until he starts scoring more regularly he hasn't proved that he belongs with the first team let alone is at another level.

Funny that you mention Haber, cause that's who I would compare Reda to, minus the 1 year age difference. I feel that this year's edition of IMFC, is less then ideal in terms of developing young talent. Basicaly none of the strikers have been able to score at a regular basis, and the club is struggling this year, and that has an influence on who the Maestro is going to play. Lets see how he finishes the Year, and we'll hopefully have a better appreciation of his potential.

If he is as good as it would appear, what benefit would there be to sending him to Europe now or even in the near future. What would he fetch in the transfer market right now? the answer is not more than what the several other USL/NASL players have brought in to their clubs. And that's anywhere from 50-100K or maybe even 150K. Thats going by the type of transfer dollars amounts that has been wided estimated and rumoured from the past involing USL teams and Scandinavian team.

If he stays put until after 2012 (at age 21) and remains with the team, how much is he worth after one season in MLS? Especailly, if he and develops into, say, an 8-10 goal scorer. The answer is somelthing like 10 to 20 times that amount. You could probably still get that 50-150 two years from now even he he is flop.

If you have stock in a promising company that you think could be worth 10-20 times two years from now, would you sell now?

All well and good but the fact is this Acadien is just another glorified Attak player. A real academy is like the one out in Vancouver who recently extended contracts to 4 Quebecois U17 players, and not like "our Academy" that didnt even send a scout.

Or like the WFCA who had scouts looking at U17 players in newfoundland a few summers ago, scouting kids from my high school.

All well and good but the fact is this Acadien is just another glorified Attak player. A real academy is like the one out in Vancouver who recently extended contracts to 4 Quebecois U17 players, and not like "our Academy" that didnt even send a scout.

Or like the WFCA who had scouts looking at U17 players in newfoundland a few summers ago, scouting kids from my high school.

on that note, im getting really concerned with the soccer ops' administrative structure of IMFC vis-a-vis that of TFC or the caps. we are 20 months away from the mls and we have not noticed the building of a foundation. When the Caps we're this far away of the mls, their acadamy already produced marcus haber. Am i wrong to be nervous about this?

on that note, im getting really concerned with the soccer ops' administrative structure of IMFC vis-a-vis that of TFC or the caps. we are 20 months away from the mls and we have not noticed the building of a foundation. When the Caps we're this far away of the mls, their acadamy already produced marcus haber. Am i wrong to be nervous about this?

Yes and no, MLS made it mandatory in 2007 for its franchises to establish a youth development program with at least two teams and a full-time coaching staff. Impact currently have one going but it resembles more of a reserve side.

There are four remaining teams without a full academy (three of which are recent expansion teams) are either in the process of recruiting and building their academies or already operate part-time teams that play in the summer months or merely complement the training and games their kids are getting with their club teams

Some Clubs have as many six different age levels going as far down as the age of 5. Some even have residency programs or are on their way to having residency(ie: TFC).

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5219888/ce/us/future-us-soccer?cc=5901&ver=us

Archived