Caps trade Sanchez & Steele

tmcmurph

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature07201001.aspx

Too many kids at those positions with serious talent? Not too surprised given the play of Nizar Khalfan, Cornelius Stewart, Luca Bellisomo & Blake Wagner amongst others.

Hopefully they'll get some young talent back in return ... like maybe Canadian under 20 international Mozzi Gyorio? Trade makes sense if VWFC believed that both Sanchez and Steele weren't going to follow the club into MLS.

My $0.02...

Steele: Is a lazy player that wants to play Rover and not get stuck in... will never succeed, clearly wants to be a big fish in a small pond. He can't do that at a club like WFC, as they have a system.

Sanchez: Really never got a fair shake imho, yet he is too slow to really be a force come MLS footspeed wise, although he is leathal from setpieces etc.

Not really too sad to see either go to be honest.

I also thought instantly that Mozzi Gyorio would be the "Future considerations"

My $0.02...

Steele: Is a lazy player that wants to play Rover and not get stuck in... will never succeed, clearly wants to be a big fish in a small pond. He can't do that at a club like WFC, as they have a system.

Sanchez: Really never got a fair shake imho, yet he is too slow to really be a force come MLS footspeed wise, although he is leathal from setpieces etc.

Not really too sad to see either go to be honest.

I also thought instantly that Mozzi Gyorio would be the "Future considerations"

I really like these moves... Yes I agree that Sanchez never really got a good shot, and his dead ball skill is pretty sick but not really a game changer and a good future prospect at that position going forward.

So he's Martin Nash, except better and his brother doesn't have a stake in the MLS team.

They should have kept Sanchez, unless they've found next year's replacement for MN already to do set pieces, but as they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Sanchez is 6.5 years younger. Steele seems unable or unwilling to play in a system.

Maybe Steve promised brother MLS, so they're eliminating the competition, which explains why Sanchez wasn't playing. I thought his set pieces this year were superior.

Taka is now healthy and can do the left foot set pieces as good if not better than most. He seems to be one of these ageless ones who are still fast and effective in their mid 30s. Z has pretty much sown up left back so maybe the plan is to play Taka at mid. I've always enjoyed watching Taka play. He plays the system the coach wants and works hard. That and I think the younger players just stepped it up a notch and there wasn't enough room.

A few things...

1. I don't understand all the hate for Nash... he's not the best or most youthful player on this team, but is a lot better than most give him credit for.

2. Taka Hirano is the biggest defensive liability this team has had for ages. he is probably the most OVERATED player on the roster, by a landslide. And don't tell me he is ageless, because he is showing signs of age. stating otherwise is just plain and simple lying.

Former Canadian U20 international striker Riley O'Neill has been trialing with the Caps. He was at practice today.

That is interesting because TFC supposedly have his rights for MLS. Well this is the tryout year so keep them coming. In a different sort of way it does make sense. As a Canadian he fills part of our requirements and if he is as good as Justin then releasing an American to sign a Canadian could help out. Looks like he has been plying his trade in the German 3rd & 4th divisions for the last 4 years.

That is interesting because TFC supposedly have his rights for MLS. Well this is the tryout year so keep them coming. In a different sort of way it does make sense. As a Canadian he fills part of our requirements and if he is as good as Justin then releasing an American to sign a Canadian could help out. Looks like he has been plying his trade in the German 3rd & 4th divisions for the last 4 years.

I think the draft rights expire though. If the player doesn't sign within 2 years(?) he becomes free to sign with any MLS team. O'Neill i believe was drafted in 2007....but i might be wrong and the 'Caps might have to work a trade for his rights.

Archived