Televised friendlies?

matty1487

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I am definitely planning on attending the game against Peru in Toronto, but I don't think my school schedule will permit me to attend the game in Montreal. Does anybody know if either (or both) of these games are being televised? Thanks!

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I am definitely planning on attending the game against Peru in Toronto, but I don't think my school schedule will permit me to attend the game in Montreal. Does anybody know if either (or both) of these games are being televised? Thanks!

Sometimes Sportsnet throws together something last-minute on one or two of their regional channels, we'll have to wait and see..... emphasis on the wait.

Does any specific station hold the rights to broadcast MNT games? Cuz I think CBC did a bang-up job with the WC and do very well with TFC games, they would be my first choice.

Sadly, Sportsnet holds the rights. Sportsnet only does a half-decent job of broadcasting high-profile friendlies. Most of the MNT games that Sportsnet airs are either on one of the digital channels or on tape delay. Of course, when it comes to overseas friendlies and some friendlies on this side of the Atlantic, Sportsnet often drops the ball, leaving us to search for whatever bookleg internet streams are available.

I agree. I know we don't really have any power in this regard, but if CBC ever did manage to pry the rights out of Sportsnet's hands, that'd be good news for us.

I'm not sure I agree, when I consider the availability of network time to show the games. Sportsnet has up to four separate channels (plus perhaps Sportsnet 2 on the way) on which to broadcast the games. CBC really only has the main network and Bold.

There's no way CBC is going to bump Being Erica to show Canadian soccer, so I assume it ends up on Bold. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that far more people have all four Sportsnet channels than Bold.

Personally, I'd much prefer the low-budget broadcast we have now, than making the games even harder to find.

And who's to say potential future coverage of the Men's national team will look anything like the World Cup coverage? There were big dollars behind CBC's WC coverage. Why assume CBC would put any more money into CMNT coverage than Sportsnet does?

CBC does an excellent job broadcasting TFC games, in contrast to the nickel-and-dime production that goes into the Sportsnet equivalent. Moreover, CBC attracts far higher ratings, which is better for increasing the popularity of teams such as TFC or the CMNT. In short, I would take the CBC as the official broadcaster of the nats in a heart beat.

Btw, most MNT games are already almost impossible to find. All of the games that are aired are low-budget, while the rest of the games can only be found via bootleg streams or not at all.

sportsnet is one of the worst things that could've happened to the growth of the game in Canada... just look at how they promoted and produced the MNT (considering they have the rights) and this year's NCC games. i would even dare to say they've hindered the sport's popularity and growth. Soccer (MNT, WNT, MLS, USSF D2, NCC, World Cup) needs a home on a network here in Canada, considering the options available, i think CBC would be the most suitable.

The thing that kills soccer on Sportsnet is the fact they show a Jays game EVERY DAY! There's never a free date so it's always bumped into digital obscurity. CBC might be interested in getting in on future games after the ratings windfall of the world cup but I highly doubt they'd be show anything other than a saturday afternoon start time.

• 2 weeks later...
Things may now improve with Sportsnet about to launch their own version of TSN2 on August 14th called "Sportsnet One". No word on whether the current Sportsnet channel will now be called "Sportsnet Zero" ;). Either way, this should spell the end of tape delays and regional feeds due to baseball.

Do you really think that's better, though?

What it likely means is that Canadian soccer will get bumped to the secondary channel, which would have limited reach.

I'm not sure I agree, when I consider the availability of network time to show the games. Sportsnet has up to four separate channels (plus perhaps Sportsnet 2 on the way) on which to broadcast the games. CBC really only has the main network and Bold.

There's no way CBC is going to bump Being Erica to show Canadian soccer, so I assume it ends up on Bold. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that far more people have all four Sportsnet channels than Bold.

Personally, I'd much prefer the low-budget broadcast we have now, than making the games even harder to find.

And who's to say potential future coverage of the Men's national team will look anything like the World Cup coverage? There were big dollars behind CBC's WC coverage. Why assume CBC would put any more money into CMNT coverage than Sportsnet does?

Its funny you mention "Bieng Erica" I wrote a blog post a couple years ago http://www.startingeleven.ca/se11/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=4 when the Impact were on that run in the Champions league, I called the CBC media rep and asked him directly why the CBC was not showing the first leg of the Santos Quarter finals in Montreal live on the main network, and he said exactly that... they weren't about to bump "being erica" and all those sponsor dollars on a one off soccer game. But he did assure me that the CBC were opening up the network to show more soccer in the future. :) LOL

Archived