Club Friendlies

drew

I am just wonder why there is not many club friendlies held in Vancouver with the Whitecaps? I mean those famous teams like Forentina, AC Milan, Barca etc etc. Is that because of the market here so tiny? I suspect that our MLS team would be another Grizzles.

Drew, If you look at the Galexy-Whitecaps game as an indication of soccer market in Vancouver, I would assume that there is more then enough fans to satisfy a friendly. I believe the Whitecaps are smart about not scheduling a friendly in the middle of the season as they are focused on the season at hand and not just making $$. Also with the state of BC Place being unknown at this time, when looking back a year ago, I'm sure the organizers shy'd away from Vancouver as maybe the Empire field plans weren't finalized as of yet.

Basically I wouldn't put too much thought into why Vancouver is not getting highpriced friendlies this year. They should be very focused on finishing this season and preparing for MLS 2011

Drew, If you look at the Galexy-Whitecaps game as an indication of soccer market in Vancouver, I would assume that there is more then enough fans to satisfy a friendly. I believe the Whitecaps are smart about not scheduling a friendly in the middle of the season as they are focused on the season at hand and not just making $$. Also with the state of BC Place being unknown at this time, when looking back a year ago, I'm sure the organizers shy'd away from Vancouver as maybe the Empire field plans weren't finalized as of yet.

Basically I wouldn't put too much thought into why Vancouver is not getting highpriced friendlies this year. They should be very focused on finishing this season and preparing for MLS 2011

I hate the mid-season friendlies. Arguably the worst part about MLS.

I hate the mid-season friendlies. Arguably the worst part about MLS.

I agree with TFCRegina. Why would I want to pay $60 per seat to watch a non-competitive match against a club in pre-season form that would undoubtedly feature reservists, academy youngsters and miscellaneous journeymen?

Nobody wants to get hurt, and thus the players' effort and work rate is generally poor. Zzzzzz....

I agree with TFCRegina. Why would I want to pay $60 per seat to watch a non-competitive match against a club in pre-season form that would undoubtedly feature reservists, academy youngsters and miscellaneous journeymen?

Nobody wants to get hurt, and thus the players' effort and work rate is generally poor. Zzzzzz....

I would normally agree, but the Man U v Celtic match in Toronto was really good to watch on the tube. Not sure what that means in terms of the Caps, but there it is.

I would normally agree, but the Man U v Celtic match in Toronto was really good to watch on the tube. Not sure what that means in terms of the Caps, but there it is.

Man U vs. Celtic isn't what I was talking about. I have issues with TFC playing anyone in a non-competitive match. If two clubs I could care less about are playing each other, go right ahead.

Man U vs. Celtic isn't what I was talking about. I have issues with TFC playing anyone in a non-competitive match. If two clubs I could care less about are playing each other, go right ahead.

I totally agree with your point, but I think you mean you "COULDN'T care less." [/end pet peeve correction]

I know thats what you meant... my point is, you seek entertainment and during that you wish TFC to win (MLS Season) right? Well how do you propose they do that? Man U and Celtic seemingly had no reason to knock each other about in Toronto but they did, why? Because the individual players want to impress, right? this makes the squad better, deeper, more entertaining, and more competitive my friend.

Friendlies apart from being a cash money grab are just another training session with consequences on the pitch for all players involved, are you against pre-season play as well?

Archived