Toronto v. Phily - July 17, 2010

ag futbol

Bad play all around by TFC. I was hoping you'd steal a point but to be honest you didn't deserve it. I can't think of any TFC player who I thought played good out there. Dero probably did the best of the bunch but I'd still only give him a 5.5 (maybe 6) and most of the team 4s.

I too was thinking get Barrett off and then he scores. Too funny. JDG just wasn't there today. Most of the team was AWOL. Put Maicon in to start and use Ibrby for sub. Don't know why by Ibby does better coming off the bench from what I've seen. Play better, way better, next time. You can't let points slip away from the lower teams. Good luck in your next outing.

What kind of kick-off time is 3.30? I wanted to watch the game but too late now. I'll have to settle for a stinkin Wizards - Rapids for my daily soccer needs:)

That kick off time is consistent with the kick off times for matches in many parts of the world and I have no doubt that the broadcast partners ( with an eye on their program schedules) are responsible for these kick off times.

But still, I agree 100% with you that its not ideal for us fans. In the summer time, i prefer being outdoors in stadium after sunset rather than during the mid day sun in 30 degree weather. Also, who wants to stay indoors on saturday afternoons in the summer to watch TV? Finally, you can also plan your day better when games are played in the evening and to give you an idea of what I am getting at, the only way for me to follow this game today was on my car radio.

Mid day start times are a success in Europe but they play in the winter months.

Crap, total crap!

First game I have been able to watch in a while and I woke up early to do so. Waste of time, poor advertisement for TFC & MLS. Please tell me that this was a one off because De Guzman looked 1 tenth the player he used to be.

I hope none of our other players consider coming to MLS while they should be playing in Europe, at least not until the twilight of their career or the very beginning.

You maybe need to go to an away game in the United States to realize that although they look like glass beer bottles they are actually made of plastic. I can remember that causing all kinds of hysteria on messageboards in the past when they have been thrown on the field of play. As for the game if you have ever tried to play a game in the middle of a Saturday afternoon in those kinds of conditions you would understand the sluggish tempo. Not a great performance but the points were still there for the taking almost right up to the final whistle. Another week things would have gone the other way. My one question would be what's up with Dwayne DeRosario these days. Carrying an injury or in the huff about a second DP being signed and it not being him?

PS If anyone's interested in a ticket for the Bolton game in section 112 I may be able to help them out. I'm out of the country at the moment so can't use it personally and the guy from RPB who I normally pass my tickets onto doesn't want it. Don't believe in scalping so I'd be willing to forward it for face value or less. PM me if you are interested.

Crap, total crap!

First game I have been able to watch in a while and I woke up early to do so. Waste of time, poor advertisement for TFC & MLS. Please tell me that this was a one off because De Guzman looked 1 tenth the player he used to be.

I hope none of our other players consider coming to MLS while they should be playing in Europe, at least not until the twilight of their career or the very beginning.

Was working and forgot to set the PVR so I missed the match. From the sounds of it, a happy accident which saved me 2 hours of my life.

Since you and others have mentioned it, I'll pile on by saying The Guz is doing a wonderful job of playing his way off the NT. Right now the move to Toronto is looking horrible for both parties isn't it?

I don't know how DDR is being paid, but unless he's getting some serious subsidies indirectly from the club and it's sponsors if I were him I'd be pissed beyond belief every Friday when I got paid. I don't know who his agent is but if he isn't in Trader Mo's office screaming he's got no business being an agent.

Again, don't know what Dwayne is really making. He could be doing a lot better than his player salary indicates.

I don't know how DDR is being paid, but unless he's getting some serious subsidies indirectly from the club and it's sponsors

Again, don't know what Dwayne is really making. He could be doing a lot better than his player salary indicates.

I have seen 3 different advertisements with DDR in them. With MLSE's business contacts I'm sure they are getting him a lot more money than base salary. It is an old scam, ahem I mean "completely legitimate" way, to get around a salary cap. Next up they had better do something for Adrian Cann as he is easily the most underpaid player they have and is a prime reason for their success so far this year.

I have seen 3 different advertisements with DDR in them. With MLSE's business contacts I'm sure they are getting him a lot more money than base salary. It is an old scam, ahem I mean "completely legitimate" way, to get around a salary cap. Next up they had better do something for Adrian Cann as he is easily the most underpaid player they have and is a prime reason for their success so far this year.

Him and Nana both...I think Nana is making a grand total of 40 grand a year.

Well, frankly I didn't think DDR was very good today and nor was DeGuzman and when neither of these guys is clicking on a given match day it's not going to bode well for TFC.

I would almost completely put that down to a lack of other options for TFC. He is pretty consistently surrounded by two defenders. The book on defending TFC pretty much starts with shutting down Dero and forcing somebody else to brake you down. It's quite effective.

Regarding our defenders: Keep in mind we have one of the most OVERLY defensive schemes in the whole league. We play two flat out destroyers in front of them and the fullbacks are defensive minded as well. As if that wasn't enough, we demand that our wingers (and at least one striker) do a lot of two-way defending. Compare that to dejan jakovic who's often asked to centre a 3-5-2 on a team who's attacking muscle hasn't been what it was in the past and they get put in bad situations all the time. Yes, I agree Cann and Attakora have been good, but they've got the platform to do so at the current point.

I would almost completely put that down to a lack of other options for TFC. He is pretty consistently surrounded by two defenders. The book on defending TFC pretty much starts with shutting down Dero and forcing somebody else to brake you down. It's quite effective.

Regarding our defenders: Keep in mind we have one of the most OVERLY defensive schemes in the whole league. We play two flat out destroyers in front of them and the fullbacks are defensive minded as well. As if that wasn't enough, we demand that our wingers (and at least one striker) do a lot of two-way defending. Compare that to dejan jakovic who's often asked to centre a 3-5-2 on a team who's attacking muscle hasn't been what it was in the past and they get put in bad situations all the time. Yes, I agree Cann and Attakora have been good, but they've got the platform to do so at the current point.

Yes, the scheme you have described is very defensive in set up, though I don't see De Guzman as a flat out destroyer (that would be Sanyang). Though Cann had a Velez like moment in the second half when he opted to maintain possession with an off balance giveaway in the box, both he and Attakora have been solid in 1 v 1 match ups and positioning, better than in previous seasons with the other CB candidates.

^Yes, he's a holding midfielder, I don't disagree with that. I just don't see him as a ballwinning type of guy that you think of as a destroyer, but that's neither here nor there. As for Saric, he still can't beat out Sanyang though the Gambian has many critics. And Garcia keeps his starting spot ahead of the Latvian. And then the Russian who replaced Gargan handles in the box....these guys haven't lit the world on fire with their performances, have they?

^ No they haven't, and if the club goes for a bit of winter cleaning we should have a fair bit of cap room to play with. I think between Saric, Usanov, Hscanovics and Garcia that's approx. $450K in salary. I think that could be better spent than on essentially 4 backup calibre players.

That was a waste of a blank DVD for me. Goodness, DDR and JDG were quite poor today, Barrett doing his usual, attitude of a 10 year national team vet, accomplishments of a house league player.

But Garcia must have compromising photos of Preki with an animal or a kid. There is no other way to explain his continued presence on TFC.

Archived