Mahyar Kohbad

jpg75

He's the leading scorer in the CSL, does anyone have more details about this player?

I'm currently watching the CSL Soccer Show and they just did a profile of him. He was recruited out of the OSL and has scored 10 goals in 10 games with the NY Astros in his rookie year. appears to be in his mid-20's as he attended Seneca College 4 years ago:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3484284812783251051#

Rogers Cable is about to show NYA vs. Portugal FC so will get to see what the fuss is about...

Or Juby, he's a NY Astros fan....

I think Kohbad was born in Iran, but guessing he has been living here for a while...i'm curious to find out how old he is, whether he has the potential to play at a higher level or whether he's a mature player (25+) who is as good as he's going to get.

I watched about 20-30 minutes of this one.

Kohbad had some quality moments when he got the ball, otherwise it was hard to judge since PFC seemed to control most of the play.

Other side notes: Someone was setting Lombardo up with quite a few chances, he just didn't make anything of them.

Kohbad didn't get much of the ball at all...it appears that he's used as a goal poacher(?). Too bad because i saw his touch was pretty good in the highlight clip they showed, may be better off having him come back into the midfield more often to play off his teammates...

Lombardo was crap, his touch is horrid and he's just too slow. How the **** he was in the Atalanta youth system i have no idea (i do, just a figure of speech)...was that him with the awful through ball to his teammate on a 2-on-1 late in the game?

Is this crap on Andrea Lombardo day ... he was good enough for our U20s in fact everyone extolled him to be star.... did he not have a stint with TFC ?

Kohbad didn't get much of the ball at all...it appears that he's used as a goal poacher(?). Too bad because i saw his touch was pretty good in the highlight clip they showed, may be better off having him come back into the midfield more often to play off his teammates...

Lombardo was crap, his touch is horrid and he's just too slow. How the **** he was in the Atalanta youth system i have no idea (i do, just a figure of speech)...was that him with the awful through ball to his teammate on a 2-on-1 late in the game?

Did you watch the game last night? Lomardo was easily one of the worst players on the field.

Jarek Whiteman didn't have nearly the profile Lombardo had. I believe he was with TFC briefly before Mo Johnston decided showing up for practice late one day was good enough to be given the heave-ho. That being said Whiteman played about 30x better than Lombardo did.

I think the people who projected Andre to be a talent should probably be breeding race horses and not developing soccer players, because other than the physical attributes I haven't seen anything to suggest he's got potential. His first touch, vision, etc... all on display last night were putrid.

Is this crap on Andrea Lombardo day ... he was good enough for our U20s in fact everyone extolled him to be star.... did he not have a stint with TFC ?

I've defended him in the past because he was so young and thrust into the responsibility of scoring for a putrid expansion team, but last night just magnifies everything that is wrong with his game. This kid has not improved since i first saw him in 2005 at the U20 WC. He might have suckered people in with his 6'1" 175lb. frame and man-child strength when he was 16, but he still plays like a teenager who didn't get better.

Kohbad is definitely a nice player. He's a good finisher. He scored two goals against Milltown when we beat the Astros a few weeks ago. I was not aware that he was plucked from the OSL. Good to hear. There are definitely good players in the OSL to be found (we have a few guys on our roster who were formerly OSL players too). The hard part is finding OSL players who have the level of commitment to the sport that = their talent.

^ OSL is indeed the Ontario Soccer League and it is considered to be the top senior men's amateur league in Ontario. It has 3 Open age divisions (Provincial, Regional, Multi-jurisdictional) with Pro-Rel between them and they are linked to district senior leagues as well....if you win your senior District league, you can get promoted, I think to Regional, but not sure.. They also run a short U21 season (U21 Provincial and U21 Regional). Lots of college kids in those leagues and there is Pro-Rel amongst those 2 divisions.

• 4 months later...
all's I know is he's pretty tall and pretty enthusiastic, His touch seem's decent but it's hard to see, I've only seen a couple games so far this year

this is random but this has been bugging me for a few months, at the time I posted this I had been confusing Mahyar Kohbad with Mohamed Aborig. Kohbad's not so tall, he's fairly enthusiastic though, I'd say decently skillful with a good boot. I thought Aborig was the striker at the start of the season but he's more the attacking mid I think with Erik Grigore (who had a fantastic game against London City in the video I made) behind Kohbad who seems to cover alot of ground himself.

So in summation, Kohbad is not the tall guy, my bad, if I had to describe him I'd say the one with the beard up front. I realized the mistake like a month later and figured 'no biggie' but its been nagging at me.

Archived