German manager: if you don't move around, you can't even beat Canada!

I hope you guys know that this comment Low made wasn't more of a "props" thing said to Canada, but more of a comment as to how bad you guys are, no offense what so ever. THink about it if you dont move around when playing football you cant even beat Canada, think about it for a sec.

Don't you have better things to do with your time, like helping your mother shave her back?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't just Scotland that seemed an odd selection, for what it's worth. El Salvador rather famously wound up on the wrong end of a 10-1 scoreline in Spain in 1982 and also got into the "football war" with Honduras after qualifying in 1970, which sometimes still rates a mention as people taking fanaticism about the sport too far. Would have thought Nicaragua or Belize would be the obvious Central American countries to mention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYC2witL__g

I was also a bit taken aback when I pointed out to people in London, Ont. a few weeks back that Canada actually has qualified for the World Cup finals in the past and could see the looks of total surprise when I went on to describe what happened in the game against France. Apparently, that's not supposed to be possible because Canadians only play hockey. Maybe should try to bear in mind that for many regular access to soccer has been a relatively recent thing.

I agree with some of the sentiment on this board. Yeah, it really sucks that the German coach had to single out Canada to demonstrate his point, but how pissed can you be when it is basically true? My first big moment of watching canadian soccer (coming from a hockey backround and having barely even played the game as a youth), was Canada's Gold Cup loss to the USA in the2007 semis. I was pissed as hell when Hutchinson's last minute goal was waved off and since then, there has been more low points than high ones.

Canada has scored a goal in the last year. We were ridiculed by Argentina, even if the lineups were encouraging that to happen from the first kick. We finished last in our group in WCQ and missed the hex. Hell, the last high point I can remember is a loss, when they lost 3-2 against Brazil on an errand backpass from DeGuzman. We can find all the excuses we want for the bad results. Blame the CSA, blame Dale Mitchell's coaching, but there is a simple conclusion: our players have not gotten the job done in a really long while now.

However...

Things are looking up. There seems to be some kind of plan in place for the rebuilding of our men's team. We are giving youth playing time. We are playing games. We are discovering new players outside of the box (Pacheco and Sidra, for example). We will have three teams in MLS, which , even with all its flaws, is still a good level of soccer and will interest more people to follow the game on a local level, which can only mean good things for the Canadaian National Men's team. We are getting soccer specific stadiums and the Voyageurs continue to expand!Every piece is slowly being set up for a magical ride in not long.

When someone tells me that Canada sucks, I can't disagree with them. However, I do tell them that the future of the men's program is starting now and that they are about to miss one hell of a ride if they keep closing their eyes in the next ten years. I also encourage all my buddies who are remotely interested in soccer (got one to start lurking on this board once in a while) to follow Canada and keep them up to date on every happening in the program. Got four of them to come along with me to the game in Toronto and will probably have 3 or 4 who will come with me to Montreal.

I don't think we get anywhere by trying to ignore the fact the that the Men's team hasn't had success when others, even if they are euro snobs, mention it. What we should focus on is explaaining how all this is about to change within the next decade.

Archived