Toronto FC Confirms Mista IS a Designated Player

bgnewf

I spoke to Michelle Lissell this afternoon on the phone. I called her to see if I could get her to go on the record about Mista and his DP status.

She confirmed to yours truly that he is on a DP deal until the end of the 2010 season when the contract expires.

The details of what she told me along with my preview of the Philly game can be found here.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/

For a half year it is worth taking the chance. Yes it is probably too much (whatever they are paying) for that level of player but if it works out they may have an option for a full second year and if it doesn't then you aren't stuck with a long term contract. TFC seem to be in the habit of paying too much for some and way too little for others (Cann comes to mind).

I spoke to Michelle Lissell this afternoon on the phone. I called her to see if I could get her to go on the record about Mista and his DP status.

She confirmed to yours truly that he is on a DP deal until the end of the 2010 season when the contract expires.

The details of what she told me along with my preview of the Philly game can be found here.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/

CBC confirmed this long ago. They're a credible source. I don't know why people doubted he was a DP. He was signed on a short term contract (which is good, because with our track record for contracts that go to strikers...) and he's a hired gun.

Maybe he'll produce, maybe he won't.

If he doesn't, we don't have to worry about a long term contract. If he does, he'll probably go back to Europe to try to catch on with a team. In either case, no big deal.

Yeah, I guess the fact it is only for half a year makes it a lot more tolerable.

I'm thinking Toronto is really feeling a long post-season run will make them more attractive to a Real DP, like a Henry or Beckham. Fingers crossed TFC can have a legit world star next season. It seems there could be a handful of Euro's household names in the MLS next season

Apparently he can't play today because of some holdup with his transfer certificate. Hugely disappointing, they've only had a month to get that sorted out. If Seattle can have theirs cleared on time and so can DC, why are we slow?

Seriously, that's unacceptable. There better be a REALLY good reason for that.

Sounds like Omar Bravo is going to be the next player coming to MLS as a DP. Playing for KC.

A lot of (misguided) people have described Mista as a no pressure signing because it's only a half-year contract. Couldn't disagree more, with various MLS teams loading up in the transfer window if this signing doesn't work out as well for TFC, we could be on the outside looking in at the playoffs.

I've only seen Mista play a few games, but he could work out quite well for Toronto. To be honest however, I wouldn't put my money on it. He's scored 5 goals in the past 4-5 seaons, albeit half of which he was injured or out of form for. One of those strikers that have a really bad second half of their career. Needless to say that I'm happy he contract is only until the end of the season.

Btw... I don't mean to sound like a know it all, but we do "try" to pronounce players names half-ass correctly, right? It's Me-sta, like Me, not Mist-a. I tuned in to It's Called Soccer for the first time in months to hear their opinions on the World Cup final (didn't even mention it), only to hear them butchering this guys name.

JDG and Mista as DP, they aren't DP quality players at all, especially compared to the other DP's of teams around the league.

You mean like Branko Boskovic, Denilson, Luciano Emilio, Marcelo Gallardo, Luis Angel Landin, Claudio Reyna, and Claudio Lopez? ;)

You mean like Branko Boskovic, Denilson, Luciano Emilio, Marcelo Gallardo, Luis Angel Landin, Claudio Reyna, and Claudio Lopez? ;)

Yes, pretty much.

Which isn't a good thing.

Not all tha DP's are great, but most those teams have won championships in the last few years so who cares about there DP they have a solid team. TFC does not they need a great DP to put them over the top.

JDG and Mista as DP, they aren't DP quality players at all, especially compared to the other DP's of teams around the league.

During his prime Mista was very good. Of course he's falling off quite a bit, but you can say the same about most of the other DP players around the league.

Yeah, I guess the fact it is only for half a year makes it a lot more tolerable.

I'm thinking Toronto is really feeling a long post-season run will make them more attractive to a Real DP, like a Henry or Beckham. Fingers crossed TFC can have a legit world star next season. It seems there could be a handful of Euro's household names in the MLS next season

Unless Jay-Z moves to Toronto I wouldn't bet on Henry moving there. :D

Yes, pretty much.

Which isn't a good thing.

Not all tha DP's are great, but most those teams have won championships in the last few years so who cares about there DP they have a solid team. TFC does not they need a great DP to put them over the top.

None of the DP's I mentioned has won the championship in MLS.

In fact, a team with a DP has yet to win MLS Cup. Columbus won the Supporters Shield with Schelotto counting as a DP in 2009 (he didn't in 07 or 08, and against doesn't in '10) and Seattle won the US Open Cup last year with Ljungberg, but other than that it's been slim picking for teams with designated players.

Now that the rule has be rewritten, however, teams with multiple DP's should rise to the top.

Seriously, that's unacceptable. There better be a REALLY good reason for that.

now that we have to deal with the ITC system at Milltown, i'm less inclined to criticize TFC for this dealy. Getting a response from the other federation is often a painfully slow process and if they choose not to respond to your ITC request, the CSA can't do anything about it until 30 days after you have made the transfer certificate request.

The CSA is actually very good to deal with in this regard...very helpful and knowledgeable.

None of the DP's I mentioned has won the championship in MLS.

In fact, a team with a DP has yet to win MLS Cup. Columbus won the Supporters Shield with Schelotto counting as a DP in 2009 (he didn't in 07 or 08, and against doesn't in '10) and Seattle won the US Open Cup last year with Ljungberg, but other than that it's been slim picking for teams with designated players.

Now that the rule has be rewritten, however, teams with multiple DP's should rise to the top.

And I never said they won any championships indiviadually, I said their MLS clubs have, because they aren't built around a DP, they are built around a system.

Which is what TFC seem to be trying to accomplish. I just don't JDG as a DP, as for Mista he could very well be a DP quality offensive threat. To me JDG should be on th kind of deal DeRo is (who by the way is more deserving of the DP status than JDG.)

You can argue your point all you want, but simple fact is JDG should not be taking up a DP spot, it should be to an effective player, as Sanyang seems to be as effective as JDG is out there. If your not gonna build around a DP you can't waste the spot either.

Not sure to what extent it entered the thinking of Mo Johnston and MLSE but having JDG as a DP has probably changed a lot of attitudes towards MLS within Canadian soccer. People being able to see that Canada's best player, who could still play in a league like La Liga or the Bundesliga, doesn't get things all his own way whilst playing in North America's top league (cue somebody droning on about Mexico being part of North America, I'm using the NASL definition) is a good cure for the exaggerated Eurocentric mentality that very much held sway over the last couple of decades.

now that we have to deal with the ITC system at Milltown, i'm less inclined to criticize TFC for this dealy. Getting a response from the other federation is often a painfully slow process and if they choose not to respond to your ITC request, the CSA can't do anything about it until 30 days after you have made the transfer certificate request.

The CSA is actually very good to deal with in this regard...very helpful and knowledgeable.

I have the pleasure of dealing with ITCs as the secretary of my amateur football club here in Melbourne. As our club is largely made up of ex-pats from all over the globe, it's a bigger than desired process. It's interesting to see which federations are generally accommodating and which are dicks. I had a very easy time getting mine through the CSA (I called the registrar listed on the CSA website within a week of lodging my application, asked nicely if they could please be quick, and had it back in within 48 hours). The Irish have been the biggest pricks, by far.

You can argue your point all you want, but simple fact is JDG should not be taking up a DP spot, it should be to an effective player, as Sanyang seems to be as effective as JDG is out there. If your not gonna build around a DP you can't waste the spot either.

Isn't the DP spot just a work-around to get big foreign names to come to New York and LA? For the rest of the teams I'm not sure they should be building their team around the DP necessarily.

Isn't the DP spot just a work-around to get big foreign names to come to New York and LA? For the rest of the teams I'm not sure they should be building their team around the DP necessarily.

Well, maybe I give Toronto the benefit of the fact of being a top class city, but I guess, not. Nobody else seems to give it that credit I've only been a few times, I'm from in Vancouver, and I will real hope we can attract a real name to the team.

The rumors for the Caps have been Robbie Keane due to the Spurs connection I believe and Park Ji-Sung, to appeal to the Korean community here.

In the end though, winning is the goal and is what will keep the franchise moving forward and it seem Preki has found someone in Mista who unlike JDG is offensive minded, both come from the same team same system and JDG was probably the more valuable and considered the better player overall while both were at Depor; however in Mista's very small amount of time so far on the pitch looks like his offensive knowledge is gonna be used effectively for TFC up front, DeRo and the rest of the guys who push forward are gonna love having Mista, I think.

Archived