TFC supporter groups and Champions league...

I think a lot of people spent money and took time off work for the World Cup.

There is a group going to Honduras. Not sure how many people.

A lot of people make their travel plans for a couple of away trips way in advance, financially speaking.

I am pretty sure if 3000 people went to Honduras many would die and the divorce rate in Toronto would go up.

I don't understand why people would rather attend a Canada-less World Cup than support their own football club in the Champions League, FFS. Even if you're country over club... your country wasn't even in the World Cup! It's not like South Africa was any safer that some random CONCACAF country would be... :)

That is an impressive number of assumptions and misunderstandings in one reply... :)

Why fank you...

LOL.

But seriously... I probably spent $600 bux watching World Cup games going to lunch with people ect....

I think after year two of TFC some financial realities crept up on people. Season tickets, going to games, away games, therapy.... .ect.. It all ads up. So people that are going are planning those things way in advance. Not sure Champions league was on the radar, I can't imagine the posts you would get if they assumed it was!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree with Socceronly that a lot of TFC fans already budget and plan for various MLS away games at the beginning of the season in April. I'm sure if they knew about Honduras back in April, there would have been more planning done. However, despite the strong contingent of TFC fans attending various away games, there are some different variables at play that should be looked at.

First off, a season ticket in the TFC supporters sections starts off about twice what it is in either Mtl or Van. When TFC supporters make a commitment to watch their team’s home games, they are already shelling out double what they do in Mtl or Van. So that is something of an economic factor that you need to know right off the top.

My section usually plans two away road trips annually. This year however, since TFC is hosting the MLS Cup they cancelled the one road trip as the supporters chose to instead want to purchase the MLS Cup tickets since economically, alot of people can't do both. TFC has yet to announce the pricing of what it will cost to purchase the MLS Cup ticket.

Another factor to consider, TFC seems to be making a run for the playoffs this year. Should they make the post-season, unlike Mtl and Van, all post season tickets are separate purchases and not included with our season ticket package. (In Mtl and Van, they get the first two rounds included with the season ticket package).

I would suspect that there will be TFC fans in Honduras (I guess we will find out how many show up this week), but given the economic factors listed above, plus the FIFA WC, plus being in the middle of summer holiday season, that most fans would wait to attend the later rounds in the Champions League.

For my own preference, I would rather spend the same amount of money flying to Vancouver when TFC played them than going to Honduras for the 2nd leg, I would also choose to spend the money on the MLS Cup before flying to Honduras for the 2nd leg, I would also choose to spend the money on the TFC play off tickets before flying to Honduras for the 2nd leg.

I would continue to purchase tickets an attend all Champions League home matches, and then, assuming I can still afford it, and TFC is still in it, I would attend a TFC away Champions League match during the later “knock out” stages.

That’s my two cents….

I would agree with Socceronly that a lot of TFC fans already budget and plan for various MLS away games at the beginning of the season in April. I'm sure if they knew about Honduras back in April, there would have been more planning done. However, despite the strong contingent of TFC fans attending various away games, there are some different variables at play that should be looked at.

First off, a season ticket in the TFC supporters sections starts off about twice what it is in either Mtl or Van. When TFC supporters make a commitment to watch their team’s home games, they are already shelling out double what they do in Mtl or Van. So that is something of an economic factor that you need to know right off the top.

My section usually plans two away road trips annually. This year however, since TFC is hosting the MLS Cup they canceled the one road trip as the supporters chose to instead want to purchase the MLS Cup tickets since economically, alot of people can't do both. TFC has yet to announce the pricing of what it will cost to purchase the MLS Cup ticket.

Another factor to consider, TFC seems to be making a run for the playoffs this year. Should they make the post-season, unlike Mtl and Van, all post season tickets are separate purchases and not included with our season ticket package. (In Mtl and Van, they get the first two rounds included with the season ticket package).

I would suspect that there will be TFC fans in Honduras (I guess we will find out how many show up this week), but given the economic factors listed above, plus the FIFA WC, plus being in the middle of summer holiday season, that most fans would wait to attend the later rounds in the Champions League.

For my own preference, I would rather spend the same amount of money flying to Vancouver when TFC played them than going to Honduras for the 2nd leg, I would also choose to spend the money on the MLS Cup before flying to Honduras for the 2nd leg, I would also choose to spend the money on the TFC play off tickets before flying to Honduras for the 2nd leg.

I would continue to purchase tickets an attend all Champions League home matches, and then, assuming I can still afford it, and TFC is still in it, I would attend a TFC away Champions League match during the later “knock out” stages.

That’s my two cents….

Choosing to go on this trip would be akin to going to a buffet and pigging out on appetizers. Your budget is like your appetite and unless you have lots of free time and money, your going to save it for the main course. And in tournament such as Champions league ( whether its in North America or Europe) the main course is the group stage and the final knockout phase (depending on what your realistic expectations are for TFC).

I had this discussion last year over at the Usector board when several were going to PR. That's fine to go but it would look pretty silly if the visiting turn out for PR was strong and then when a big match comes up in the later stages, there is no one there because everyone went to a prelim stage match. Much like the august CL matches in Europe, the attendances at these first stage ( see LA and Toronto) kind of say it all at in terms prestige.

I find that the same thing happens in WCQ in regards to Canada. Some of our best turn outs from traveling canada fans have occurred in that pre lim stage and that doesn't make sense to me. Unless you draw one of two or three credible countries ( those with population and history of success in soccer in CONCACAF), why bust your chops for what should be foregone conclusion. in 2004, I went to Kingston to see Belize becasue its a mere 2.5 hour drive you can do in a day but I didn't go to MOntreal top see St Vincent in 2008 and have no regrets. Our Support in needed for the critical matches when your facing a good opponent. If you have an appreciation for the lanscape and pecking order of CONCACAF you would understand that the first stage is really more about formality.

Archived