Steve Sandor: Don’t turn your back on Canada’s team

Grizzly

This article pretty much says it all:

Don’t turn your back on Canada’s team

By STEVEN SANDOR, QMI Agency

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup2010/News/2010/07/11/14678716.html

Now that the World Cup is over, here is a plea to my fellow Canadians.

Put all of that energy you spent supporting the country of your heritage and place it into supporting our team, Canada.

It’s already time to think about Brazil 2014. And Canada has to be first in the hearts of all soccer fans in this country.

What burns me is how many people have sent emails over the course of the World Cup about how they would gladly watch (place country of heritage here) kick Canada’s butt.

Wonder if they would yank on Canadian sweaters when the sport changes from soccer to hockey.

Guess what? That’s cheating. Turning your back on Canada when it’s soccer, but then running into the streets when Sidney Crosby scores the Olympic winner -- well, you don’t deserve to enjoy the moment.

Maybe the problem is that, in this country, we still get more coverage of an England qualifier than we do of Canadian games.

When Canada began its failed attempt to qualify for South Africa, the team began with a two-legged series against St. Vincent and Grenadines, in 2008. It barely made a media dent. It wasn’t televised.

Could you imagine a qualifying game being so widely ignored in any other country?

We can’t dream of calling ourselves a soccer nation until a meaningful game that involves Canada packs the bars and earns the viewership of a match involving two European sides.

So this is my challenge. Put away your jerseys from other nations until Canada is eliminated. Urge your pub to have the Canada game on. The goal is that when Canada plays, we as a nation can channel all of that energy spent on cheering for other countries’ teams into cheering for our own.

I’d love to see the cafes in Toronto’s Little Italy decked out in red and white as they show the Canada game. I want to hear arguments in the pubs over coach Stephen Hart’s tactical decisions.

Yes, you can be cynical and point to the fact that Canada has a poor soccer history; that we’ve only qualified for one World Cup; that a bunch of our best players choose to play for other countries rather than their home and native land.

But, it’s a case of what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Without a widespread fan base, with a national team that is treated as second fiddle if it plays on the same day as some big European or South American match, our own players aren’t attracted to Canada. Owen **********, Jonathan de Guzman and Jacob Lensky are just a short list of talented Canadian players who chose to play for other countries.

When the hockey program faltered at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, we entered an almost religious state of self-examination.

When Canada crashes out of World Cup qualifying, we simply shrug. Or don’t notice at all.

Right now, the big if for the Canadian team is Brampton’s own Junior Hoilett. His brother, Jaineil, is involved with the junior program, but Junior still hasn’t committed.

Junior made his Premiership debut for Blackburn at the age of 19, and he could be a difference maker for Canada. It would be easier for him to make the commitment if there was more than a handful of hardcore supporters to get behind the team.

The CSA just released the results of an Ipsos Reid poll that suggested that if Canada made it to Brazil 2014, 86% would cheer for their country first. New Canadians also supported this notion strongly with 83% saying that they would cheer first for their adopted country.

I hope the numbers are right. Because that hasn’t been in evidence in past home games.

When Canada played host to Honduras in Montreal for a key World Cup qualifier, Stade Saputo transformed into Tegucigalpa. I remember a Canada Cup game from 1999, in Edmonton; Canada hosted Iran -- and a large group of Iranian-Canadians were cheering for Iran in full song. The fact their old nation had become a theocratic tyranny wasn’t enough to make that group cheer for Canada.

That’s an extreme example. But it’s a sad part of the soccer culture in Canada.

A perfect article. Perfect. Pretty much sums up how we all feel, doesn't it?.. Somebody send this guy a Voyageur t-shirt and scarf.

I also have it on good authority that Steve Sandor is a helluva fullback in the beer leagues.

what burns me is how many people have sent emails over the course of the world cup about how they would gladly watch (place country of heritage here) kick canada’s butt.

Wonder if they would yank on canadian sweaters when the sport changes from soccer to hockey.

Guess what? That’s cheating. Turning your back on canada when it’s soccer, but then running into the streets when sidney crosby scores the olympic winner -- well, you don’t deserve to enjoy the moment.

b-i-n-g-o!

Great article, exactly how many of us feel.

"Put away your jerseys from other nations until Canada is eliminated. Urge your pub to have the Canada game on. The goal is that when Canada plays, we as a nation can channel all of that energy spent on cheering for other countries’ teams into cheering for our own.

I’d love to see the cafes in Toronto’s Little Italy decked out in red and white as they show the Canada game. I want to hear arguments in the pubs over coach Stephen Hart’s tactical decisions. "

I know the Voyageurs are trying very hard across the country to do this. I hope to see the day when it finally happens.

By the time the next qualifying cycle begins, we will have huge, well-established MLS supporters groups in the big three cities. There's no reason we can't take it upon ourselves to turn Canada matches into big events. Even if it's just a couple of pubs or cafes...maybe even a street to congregate on.

Of course, some results would go a long way to help the cause...

Thanks for all support, guys. Don't know if I will be in the press box or not for the Peru game (I'm assuming I'll be assigned to it), but I do want to increase my contact with the supporters' groups. With my column on the 24 hours side and the work I do on the Sun side, I hope to bring more Canadian players into the limelight, either who are on or are on the fringes of the national team.

I am going to have a piece on Igor Pisanjuk, the Mississauga product who scored nine times in 13 games for Szolnok. Look for it Wednesday.

Thanks for all support, guys. Don't know if I will be in the press box or not for the Peru game (I'm assuming I'll be assigned to it), but I do want to increase my contact with the supporters' groups. With my column on the 24 hours side and the work I do on the Sun side, I hope to bring more Canadian players into the limelight, either who are on or are on the fringes of the national team.

I am going to have a piece on Igor Pisanjuk, the Mississauga product who scored nine times in 13 games for Szolnok. Look for it Wednesday.

Fantastic, looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Jamie

Well done Mr Sandor. You hit the right site to increase your contact with supporters' groups. Keep that spotlight shining on our Cdn players and the Cdn team. Welcome aboard.

Glad somebody wants to increase contact with us and cover players abroad as well.

CBC loves Whoregraves but they can't bother doing a single article on Hoilett or Friend or Jackson...or anyone for that matter.

Country or Club? Club or Country? Why Not Both!

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/07/clubandcountry/

Why I feel TFC Fans need to get behind Team Canada and get out to the Peru Friendly Game in September.

Comments always welcome

I don't think TFC fans need to be convinced of supporting Canada. Impact fans on the other hand...

I think the Montreal game will fall a bit flat. Hondurans won't come out with the same passion and numbers than for WCQ, and I'm still having trouble getting over the 2008 game, to be honest. Furthermore, I don't know how much the UM02 are interested in this game, but probably not much.

It's a friendly. Blah.

Fantastic article.....absolutely fantastic Steve.

As a 44 year old that bleeds the red and white, cheering for Canada comes with a thick skin. I am first generation Canadian, from Scottish parents. I am not Scottish-Canadian. It drives me ballistic when I hear someone say they're something-Canadian. You're Canadian, who happens to have folks from somewhere else.

My folks loved the old country, but they were never, ever more proud then when they became Canadian citizens. I had the fortune of playing high level soccer back in the late 70's and luckily got to represent this great land. It was a honour and they always told me what an honour it was and never to forget it. I carry that passion to this day. To see Canadian born people turn their backs on this country bothers me to no end.

Let's pack BMO on the 4th and drone out the visitors support. This is my home and your home...and if you don't love it.....please leave it......

Finlay G Ross

Fantastic article.....absolutely fantastic Steve.

As a 44 year old that bleeds the red and white, cheering for Canada comes with a thick skin. I am first generation Canadian, from Scottish parents. I am not Scottish-Canadian. It drives me ballistic when I hear someone say they're Scottish-Canadian or Portuguese-Canadian. You're Canadian, who happens to have Scottish or Portuguese parents.

My folks loved the old country, but they were never, ever more proud then when they became Canadian citizens. I had the fortune of playing high level soccer back in the late 70's and luckily got to represent this great land. It was a honour and they always told me what an honour it was and never to forget it. I carry that passion to this day. To see Canadian born people turn their backs on this country disgusts me to no end.

Let's pack BMO on the 4th and drone out any wannabe Peruvian-Canadians who see Canada as a place that is a temporary stop. This is my home, your home...and if you don't love it.....please leave it......

Finlay G Ross

Let's try to tone down the rhetoric against Peruvian-Canadians...there are a few on this board who are proud Canadians through and through. I get where you're coming from, but I feel a little uneasy with it, since some of the Vs (including a new guy) are Peruvian-Canadian. As long as the ethnic-Canadian crowd supports Canada, they can call themselves what they like in my books.

Let's try to tone down the rhetoric against Peruvian-Canadians...there are a few on this board who are proud Canadians through and through. I get where you're coming from, but I feel a little uneasy with it, since some of the Vs (including a new guy) are Peruvian-Canadian. As long as the ethnic-Canadian crowd supports Canada, they can call themselves what they like in my books.

Quite right, I have edited this accordingly. My apologies. Struck a nerve I guess.

Quite right, I have edited this accordingly. My apologies. Struck a nerve I guess.

No problem, I had a bit of an over reaction to some Dutch fans that booed me in my Canada jersey on Sunday.

I do regret it. Mostly.

Archived