Okay... the 2010 World Cup is over...

strobe_z

...The road to Brazil 2014 begins now.

I know it's silly. But I feel like I've got that weight off my shoulders a bit... the one that's been there since we crashed out of WCQ. The reset button has been hit and hope comes trickling back.

I know it's silly. But I feel like I've got that weight off my shoulders a bit... the one that's been there since we crashed out of WCQ. The reset button has been hit and hope comes trickling back.

Yeah, it's been awfully painful without seeing Canada there...now it's gone, and we can prepare for 2014.

It's weird. I had the exact same feeling. Ever since we got knocked out I've felt like we're the kid locked out of the party and can only look through the window while everyone else is having a great time. Now the party's over and we're all back at square one.

A look at the positives since we were essentially eliminated that one dreadful night in Montreal.

- BMO has real grass put in

- World Cup polls showing great number of Canadians would support Canada had they been at the WC

- Actual FRIENDLIES being scheduled :D

- The night life in Brazil is probably a little better than that of South Africa anyways, here's to saving for an expensive trip coming up ;)

A look at the positives since we were essentially eliminated that one dreadful night in Montreal.

- BMO has real grass put in

- World Cup polls showing great number of Canadians would support Canada had they been at the WC

- Actual FRIENDLIES being scheduled :D

- The night life in Brazil is probably a little better than that of South Africa anyways, here's to saving for an expensive trip coming up ;)

Add Vancouver and Montreal to MLS.

And though we still only have three pro teams at this moment, Edmonton is joining USL next year, and there are positive rumblings about other teams forming.

Add Vancouver and Montreal to MLS.

And though we still only have three pro teams(two clubs - Whitecaps, Impact, and one team, TFC) at this moment, Edmonton is joining USL next year, and there are positive rumblings about other teams forming.

Really, TFC isn't a club? Hrm, they seem to have a club infrastructure and are expanding that.

Can you leave the whining Vancouver nonsense in the club forums? This is the national supporter forum.

Everybody starts its new World Cup qualifying campaign tomorrow. And that's everybody, including our CONCACAF reps Mexico, USA, and Honduras.

While it's sad that Canada was not in South Africa, neither were nations like the Czech Republic, Russia, Scotland, Wales, China, Norway, Sweden, Costa Rica, T&T, Jamaica, Poland, Belgium, Romania, and about another hundred or so countries. We have to remind ourselves that we now have to place in the top 3 of our region, and the excuses we've had really in the past mean squat now as all countries have a clean slate.

Forget "2014" - it's "2012" that matters. We have less than 23 months to get our sh*t together before our first World Cup qualifier.

I'm a bit frightened at the prospect.

On the plus side, we will have three MLS clubs in Canada come 2012, so the support in the stands should be massive. Get your custom flags made now, boys and girls.

Forget "2014" - it's "2012" that matters. We have less than 23 months to get our sh*t together before our first World Cup qualifier.

I'm a bit frightened at the prospect.

On the plus side, we will have three MLS clubs in Canada come 2012, so the support in the stands should be massive. Get your custom flags made now, boys and girls.

Actually World Cup Qualifying starts next year so we have even less time to prepare and I can say for once the CSA is looking prepared! With the earlier start time for qualifying we have 3 more quality friendlies planned for the rest of the year and maybe even more as there are dates available I think?

Really, TFC isn't a club? Hrm, they seem to have a club infrastructure and are expanding that.

Can you leave the whining Vancouver nonsense in the club forums? This is the national supporter forum.

Relax dude. He said "add". TFC is already there in MLS. More pro teams, more pro academies = more good players being developed here and end up playing for us.

Relax dude. He said "add". TFC is already there in MLS. More pro teams, more pro academies = more good players being developed here and end up playing for us.

His offensive comment was in the second part of the post where he referred to Montreal and Van City as clubs and TFC merely as a team... Anyway, he repented, it's all good. I just get a little ticked when people attack TFC for not being a club (IE: a team or franchise) when it is investing strongly in "club" infrastructure. There is a difference between a team and a club. Anyway...

We're all Canadians here, as I said, the sniping should be left to the forums below the national supporter one.

His offensive comment was in the second part of the post where he referred to Montreal and Van City as clubs and TFC merely as a team... Anyway, he repented, it's all good. I just get a little ticked when people attack TFC for not being a club (IE: a team or franchise) when it is investing strongly in "club" infrastructure. There is a difference between a team and a club. Anyway...

We're all Canadians here, as I said, the sniping should be left to the forums below the national supporter one.

I read it differently. I thought his point was that we would soon have 2 more clubs at the MLS level with one team already there. I assume all serious teams have acadmenies (hence in my view "team = club"). All 3 qualify to some extent and are improving their infrastructure greatly. Hoping Edmonton follows through and makes a go of it. Glad to hear it is all figured out.

I've heard of the potential change to CONMEBOL-style qualifying, but is there an actual link anywhere with likely dates if such a system is adopted?

The CONMEBOL-style mega group doesn't appear to be happening. It looks like it's going to be three consecutive group stages with 4 team groups in each stage. 2nd place teams in the final group play-off for 3rd place.

Here's the CONCACAF link. http://www.concacaf.com/page/ConfederationDetail/0,,12813~2046674,00.html

It doesn't mention 4 team groups but that's been reported elsewhere. Assuming this format gets full approval we'd start next October but the first group stage will be a bit of a joke.

The CONMEBOL-style mega group doesn't appear to be happening. It looks like it's going to be three consecutive group stages with 4 team groups in each stage. 2nd place teams in the final group play-off for 3rd place.

Here's the CONCACAF link. http://www.concacaf.com/page/ConfederationDetail/0,,12813~2046674,00.html

It doesn't mention 4 team groups but that's been reported elsewhere. Assuming this format gets full approval we'd start next October but the first group stage will be a bit of a joke.

That's the proposal someone posted on BigSoccer a couple of months ago, looks like someone knew something. The prelim. round pares down the field from 35/36 teams down to 32. The first group stage consists of 8 groups of 4 and gets us down to 16. Second group stage is 4 groups of 4 and gets us down to 8 teams. Then the third and final group stage consists of an Octagonal of 8 teams, meaning 14 games for all participants. If we make it to the Octagonal we will play 26 games (6+6+14). The team that makes it to the playoff gets another 2 games for a total of 28.

Also looks like El Salvador is getting suspended. There's 2 weeks until the start of the CCL so their clubs might get screwed...

That's the proposal someone posted on BigSoccer a couple of months ago, looks like someone knew something. The prelim. round pares down the field from 35/36 teams down to 32. The first group stage consists of 8 groups of 4 and gets us down to 16. Second group stage is 4 groups of 4 and gets us down to 8 teams. Then the third and final group stage consists of an Octagonal of 8 teams, meaning 14 games for all participants. If we make it to the Octagonal we will play 26 games (6+6+14). The team that makes it to the playoff gets another 2 games for a total of 28..

The only way this many games could be feasible is if CONCACAF ditches the two-year cycle of the Gold Cup and goes to a four-year cycle for that competition (the year immediately following the World Cup).

Then again, CONCACAF ran a Gold Cup directly in the middle of the last Hex, so I wouldn't put it past them to do the same this time around during the Octagonal.

That's the proposal someone posted on BigSoccer a couple of months ago, looks like someone knew something. The prelim. round pares down the field from 35/36 teams down to 32. The first group stage consists of 8 groups of 4 and gets us down to 16. Second group stage is 4 groups of 4 and gets us down to 8 teams. Then the third and final group stage consists of an Octagonal of 8 teams, meaning 14 games for all participants. If we make it to the Octagonal we will play 26 games (6+6+14). The team that makes it to the playoff gets another 2 games for a total of 28.

Also looks like El Salvador is getting suspended. There's 2 weeks until the start of the CCL so their clubs might get screwed...

I like that format better. I used CONCACAF top 16 teams just to see what a possible Canada group could be in that second phase (I used the May 2010 FIFA rankings):

Group A

1. USA

8. Jamaica

9. Haiti

16. Bermuda

Group B

2. Mexico

7. Panama

10. T and T

15. Cuba

Group C

3. Honduras

6. El Salvador

11. Guatemala

14. Grenada

Group D

4. Costa Rica

5. Canada

12. Antigua

13. Guyana

That would be a nice group to get to the last round but as you see with group B and C you still have a possibility for a tough group.

I like that format better. I used CONCACAF top 16 teams just to see what a possible Canada group could be in that second phase (I used the May 2010 FIFA rankings):

That would be a nice group to get to the last round but as you see with group B and C you still have a possibility for a tough group.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=23914&rank=194

Based on the latest rankings it would now look like this:

Group A

1. USA

8. Panama

9. Canada

16. Haiti

Group B

2. Mexico

7. El Salvador

10. Cuba

15. Antigua

Group C

3. Honduras

6. Jamaica

11. Guatemala

14. Barbados

Group D

4. Costa Rica

5. T&T

12. Guyana

13. Suriname

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=23914&rank=194

Based on the latest rankings it would now look like this:

Group A

1. USA

8. Panama

9. Canada

16. Haiti

Group B

2. Mexico

7. El Salvador

10. Cuba

15. Antigua

Group C

3. Honduras

6. Jamaica

11. Guatemala

14. Barbados

Group D

4. Costa Rica

5. T&T

12. Guyana

13. Suriname

Group of death again, how nice...

Group C isn't a walk in the park for any of those teams either though...Group D would be a cake walk for CR and T&T. How much you wanna bet Jacko is trying to figure out how he can use this months rankings for the qualifier seeding!

Archived