TSN's The Reporters making fools of themselves

Macksam

I'd say he has a point.

So do I.

The part he misses, though, is that this problem isn't unique to soccer. Every time I turn on a hockey game now I see examples of "simulation" and other unsportsmanlike acts.

Having played rugby I do agree with his sentiment that rugby players are more apt to get on with the game rather than whine to the ref looking for a foul to be called. That sort of attitude would do wonders to the make soccer more watchable.

And here's a great article with a wonderful title that responds to the likes of Cathal Kelly and the TSN gang:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/sorry-if-you-think-soccer-sucks-but-nobody-cares-what-you-think/article1636419/

Oh thats one is beautiful!!!!!! Thank you Mr Doyle.

Especially liked this bit: "and doesn’t give a rodent’s posterior about the way things work in the NFL or the NHL."

Another one of my pet peeves is this constant comparaisons to teh NHL. I noted radio canada and the Quebec media in general as the worst culprits in this one. And is one concern that I have about that market as it heads into getting an MLS club. To be fair, they dont trash the sport in Francophone media anywhere near as much but there is the constantly annoying comparasion to hockey.

this wouldn't bother if they did the same during hockey season. By that I mean hearing things like, " but in soccer they do...."

Oh thats one is beautiful!!!!!! Thank you Mr Doyle.

Especially liked this bit: "and doesn’t give a rodent’s posterior about the way things work in the NFL or the NHL."

Another one of my pet peeves is this constant comparaisons to teh NHL. I noted radio canada and the Quebec media in general as the worst culprits in this one. And is one concern that I have about that market as it heads into getting an MLS club. To be fair, they dont trash the sport in Francophone media anywhere near as much but there is the constantly annoying comparasion to hockey.

this wouldn't bother if they did the same during hockey season. By that I mean hearing things like, " but in soccer they do...."

It will stop once competent people are hired to cover the Impact full time.

And here's a great article with a wonderful title that responds to the likes of Cathal Kelly and the TSN gang:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/sorry-if-you-think-soccer-sucks-but-nobody-cares-what-you-think/article1636419/

exactly.... who cares what a lot of north americans think about soccer...the rest of the world doesn't give two ****s..... for the ones of us that enjoy it, welll done!!!! we will still be watching day in and day out on the tube or in stadiums. the rest who cares!!!! they are just jealous that it took TFC just a couple of years to be the best sport in town during summer. and they are also seeing the Whitecaps starting to have the same success on the west coast and wait til we get in(montreal)...these other sports better start watching out for what is creeping up on them from behind and coming fast. SOCCER baby!!!! and there will no stopping it!!!!!

Another soccer hater Michael Landsberg being a total ass with 4 TFC players as guests today on Off The Record. http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip324229

Prior to this, Dave Naylor from the The Reporters was the guest and being an ass about soccer as well.

What a complete arsehole.

I would argue that refereeing hockey is worse.

Did he say " a better kind?"

I am disappointed the likes DD didn't just say to his face he was being a jerk.

What a complete arsehole.

I would argue that refereeing hockey is worse.

Did he say " a better kind?"

I am disappointed the likes DD didn't just say to his face he was being a jerk.

Danny D has too much class to be an ******* on someone else's show. I like Danny a lot, not just because I'm a TFC guy, but because he embodies Canadian values. He's more Canadian than a lot of people and I don't even think he's a citizen yet. But he sure seems to act like one.

Another soccer hater Michael Landsberg being a total ass with 4 TFC players as guests today on Off The Record. http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip324229

Prior to this, Dave Naylor from the The Reporters was the guest and being an ass about soccer as well.

Landsberg is just provoking them to get the discussion started. He does that to all of his guests, including former NHL players, CFL guys, Dana White, etc. I'll let this one slide.

Landsberg is just provoking them to get the discussion started. He does that to all of his guests, including former NHL players, CFL guys, Dana White, etc. I'll let this one slide.

He does not provoke Dana White, he rides his wang. You don't see him calling MMA "embarassing" to White's face or calling it human dog fighting cuz Landsberg likes MMA.

dave naylor was also a jerk on the TSN Reporters panel with his statement that he doesn't know too much of the game and has no shame about.

he's not alone as there is a certain segment of cdn sports journos who are actually are proud that they're clueless about football. I put in the same vein as a news guy saying he has no clue about what's going between Israel & Palestine.

here's hoping.

But i'd still rather be in a province where soccer is constantly second class over a province where it's made fun of or ignored.

No. Unlike you, I'll be objective about this discussion. When you always compare soccer to other sports like hockey, you'll inevitable fall back to comparing on terms and criteria that have greater relevance to hockey. Like being fan of only comedies and being asked to review a horror picture and making comparisons only on the scenes that had you laughing.

This shows up in several ways:

1) Game highlights for goals - I noted several occasion where they will only show the final ball that led to the goal but omit the build up to the goal. Thats fine for hockey where changes of possession are more frequent and often goals are a result of good checking. But this proves a failure to understand that in soccer are constructed.

2) Camera positions and isolation shots during live action for Montreal Impact games - Again its not hockey, i dont need to see the guys face, i want the widest angle and vantage point possible. That way I can see whats happening like where the defenders are and who is running or not running into space. Whose passing the ball and to whom and whose receiving the ball or not receiving the ball when they are open.

In the long run we are better off with a few vocal voices who hate the sport as long as there are those who understand it who are covering it rather than have constant comparisons to hockey and reminders that its not hockey because what you are conveying in a subliminal way is that the sport is second to hockey. You cannot grow the game that way because be newcomers will never appreciate it.

He does not provoke Dana White, he rides his wang. You don't see him calling MMA "embarassing" to White's face or calling it human dog fighting cuz Landsberg likes MMA.

Not true at all. Landsberg was saying how the UFC surpassed boxing and wrestling as the number 1 PPV draw only to ask why the fighters weren't making enough money. It was funny how he slowly cornered White into it. Also, when he had a panel with White on it, he said "I'm proud that my province still doesn't allow this sport." He does it to provoke the guests into conversations.

In the long run we are better off with a few vocal voices who hate the sport as long as there are those who understand it who are covering it rather than have constant comparisons to hockey and reminders that its not hockey because what you are conveying in a subliminal way is that the sport is second to hockey. You cannot grow the game that way because be newcomers will never appreciate it.
In Québec, every possible sport is second to hockey and will always be for many years to come. The Als are currently playing their 16th season since their return and barely get more attention and space/time in media than the Impact. I remember when they were to play the Grey Cup game back in November, it was the same weekend OV was in town for a Saturday night showdown at the Bell Center and there was also Lucian Bute fighting in Québec City to retain his title belt. I listened to CKAC (sports radio) and they made a survey during a show about if you were allowed by your wife/gf to watch on TV only one of these events, which one would you watch ?

Guess what prevailed ?

That's a shame.

A title fight involving a locally trained and adopted champion. A title football game involving the local team. And a regular season hockey game. It really sucks big time. I think that's the advantage Vancouver will have over Montreal once both are in MLS, at least on the short term. Québec is so hockey-centered, that makes me mad. That coming from a guy who craves for hockey. Yet too much is too much.

My standpoint about this is you should select the game with the most important outcome if two or more teams/individuals you support play at the same time (or almost) and you don't have time to go to/watch the other, or you don't have enough time to spend on sporting events, or whatever the reason is. For my part, I'm very open minded when it comes to sports. I support teams representing my city. I even liked to go to the Big O to support the Expos back in the days (dark ones most of the time). I'm totally against denigrating sports you don't watch, that's childish stuff, really (john ? ;)). The passion for hockey in Québec (and the ROC as well) is the worst enemy of the free sports mind. So, if I have to choose between a Habs playoff game and an Impact league game (like it happened to be last spring), well sorry for the Impact but the priority is the Habs. If a Habs regular season game was scheduled the day the Impact were playing a CCL game, then prority #1 becomes the Impact game. THAT SHOULD BE THE SAME IN THE MEDIAS.

The problem is, when the Habs are in the playoffs, instead of taking 50% of the place, they are given 97% by dumb people running the medias. Then when it's the Impact turn to get its fair share when they are in the playoffs, they only upgrade their importance from let's say 5% to 10%, not 50% (really far from it). They should better proportionate the importance of teams/leagues/sports according to what's hot at the moment, but keep talking about every sports 52 weeks a year as well !!! But they only do that for hockey for which every single August day is a good one to talk about the next possible big thing playing in an NHL team rookie camp. All winter long, except for some rare exceptions (Martin Smith from the Québécor-owned journal in lockout/Rue Frontenac.com comes to mind), there's less than nothing to be seen about the Impact's off-season moves and the upcoming training camp. Maybe that will happen the day they will actually care not to only talk about home games but away ones as well...

Dowbiggin was at it again in his column. After summing up the World Cup he writes:

Which will lead the predictable sources to say soccer is clearly catching on in Canada. Now how much do you want to bet they'll be saying the same four years from now after Rio – and another Canada no-show?

Dowbiggin was at it again in his column. After summing up the World Cup he writes:
Surprised he was able to squeeze soccer in considering his decades long witchhunt against Don Cherry. Kind of like the clown in Winnipeg who after helping get Mike Kelly kicked out of town (not that he didn't deserve it) is still kicking him in his columns now that he's down and out.

Archived