TSN's The Reporters making fools of themselves

Macksam

No, just their overall opinions on the state of the game in Canada, along with Hodge's snide ignorance when he first starts mentioning the World Cup. It's like it bothers him that he's talking about the sport at all. They're all so out of touch it's not even funny.

I lost a lot of respect for Dave Hodge after this:

http://watch.tsn.ca/the-reporters/the-reporters---july-11/#clip323938

Yeah I saw that. I saw a cringe moment comming. The most annoying thing for me about these clowns is when they go on about the need of make the sport more appealing to North Americans or Canadians < errrrrrrrrr>!

Well it is already appealing to Canadians and Americans! Haven't they seen seen the rating numbers for the world cup. Haven't they heard the last WC final game out drew the World series in the US? Haven't they heard that the local pro soccer clubs sells out every single game and has a waiting list of tens of thousands for season tickets ?

So why aren't they asking what must be done to make the CFL more appealing to Canadians or what chamges to teh rules must be done to make Baseball more appealing to Canadians or Americans?

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might look at this oft repeated notion ( the so called talk about the soccer and north american audience) as a covert or underhanded attempt to marginalized the sport and its audience by painting them into a narrow segment, namely, the "off the boat" types. When, in reality, they really aren't. Season tickets holders for TFc are of all types and background including multigeneration canadians and same can be said about the masses that are watching the WC.

Yeah I saw that. I saw a cringe moment comming. The most annoying thing for me about these clowns is when they go on about the need of make the sport more appealing to North Americans or Canadians < errrrrrrrrr>!

Well it is already appealing to Canadians and Americans! Haven't they seen seen the rating numbers for the world cup. Haven't they heard the last WC final game out drew the World series in the US? Haven't they heard that the local pro soccer clubs sells out every single game and has a waiting list of tens of thousands for season tickets ?

So why aren't they asking what must be done to make the CFL more appealing to Canadians or what chamges to teh rules must be done to make Baseball more appealing to Canadians or Americans?

Yeah, if I was on the panel, I would have said well soccer probably has over taken both football and baseball as the number 1 summer sport in Toronto. The look on their faces would've been priceless.

Haven't we learned that mainstream media don't care about soccer, and so we shouldn't care about them.

To this day, I can't believe that Dave Hodge has a job in sports.

Well, at least not TSN.

CBC and Sportsnet are pretty good. However, when you have guys like Dick Howard, Craig Forrest, De Vos and Lenarduzzi on a panel, the quality of analysis will be much better than Hodge and Damien Cox...

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might look at this oft repeated notion ( the so called talk about the soccer and north american audience) as a covert or underhanded attempt to marginalized the sport and its audience by painting them into a narrow segment, namely, the "off the boat" types. When, in reality, they really aren't. Season tickets holders for TFc are of all types and background including multigeneration canadians and same can be said about the masses that are watching the WC.

What they mean by make it more appealing to North Americans is:

Make it more appealing to TSN which has an addiction to (****) commercials.

Enough with the stoppages-in-the-game-sports. Boring and the commercials are the same ones repeated over.

I'll take my 'non-appealing' commercial free football over Coors Light commercials every 3 minutes.

Haven't we learned that mainstream media don't care about soccer, and so we shouldn't care about them.

To this day, I can't believe that Dave Hodge has a job in sports.

That's true. Except that Dave Hodge is a very credible sports personality.

But is it so hard to acknowledge what should be known to them. They must be aware of the ratings numbers and they must know that no network in world would devote 150 hours of live programming in a month to an event that doesn't have broad appeal. They have colleagues in their news rooms and departments that have made them aware the joint in TO is packed for every game and that other sports are struggling at the gate locally.

They might even know that 13K subscriptions for season tickets have been made in Vancouver for pro soccer and that someone in Montreal paid 40 Millions to bring a pro soccer team in that town.

I'll tell you what though, i'll bet that if the joints for pro soccer were less than sold out or less successful, they wouldn't miss a chance to remind us. Its amazing that you hear, by far, more inane stupidity and ignorance of a sport for soccer than you do for the multitude of other sport that we are expose to throughout a year. Throw a topic like tennis or golf or even boxing out there ( these are sports with a good following but also very much niche sports) and you'll never hear anything as crazy as what you hear for soccer. Yet, this is an incredibly easy sport to understand.

I still can't find the clip, but found loads of clips of The Reporters talking about NBA and NHL free agency and whether Ilya Kovolchuk might go back to Russia. Nice to know they are talking about the really impotant stuff on the day of the World Cup Final.

Although I did notice a lot of soccer guests on Off the Record, including Stalteri and several current and former TFC players on guests as multiple episodes - a nice change for at least one TSN program and host who hasn't been very soccer friendly in the past but probably has realized that things have changed over the years and the value of keeping up with the times. It would be nice to say that about the rest of the TSN brigade.

That's true. Except that Dave Hodge is a very credible sports personality.

But is it so hard to acknowledge what should be known to them. They must be aware of the ratings numbers and they must know that no network in world would devote 150 hours of live programming in a month to an event that doesn't have broad appeal. They have colleagues in their news rooms and departments that have made them aware the joint in TO is packed for every game and that other sports are struggling at the gate locally.

They might even know that 13K subscriptions for season tickets have been made in Vancouver for pro soccer and that someone in Montreal paid 40 Millions to bring a pro soccer team in that town.

I'll tell you what though, i'll bet that if the joints for pro soccer were less than sold out or less successful, they wouldn't miss a chance to remind us. Its amazing that you hear, by far, more inane stupidity and ignorance of a sport for soccer than you do for the multitude of other sport that we are expose to throughout a year. Throw a topic like tennis or golf or even boxing out there ( these are sports with a good following but also very much niche sports) and you'll never hear anything as crazy as what you hear for soccer. Yet, this is an incredibly easy sport to understand.

OMG, I love how they try their hardest to avoid mentioning anything MLS related except for Landon Donovan becoming America's Golden boy....and yet they can't even mention De Rosario with TFC. It's pretty pathetic. This is why I hate TSN and don't have that channel anymore.

The reporters have zero relevance. They're a niche segment on already bad shows. Oh you find mainstream sports coverage on TSN too loose and want insights aimed at a high school intellect instead of junior high? Dave Hodge has got you and all the other +50 year old white guys of middling intelligence covered. Sometimes Canadian sports coverage used to piss me off by putting down soccer but I'm finding that it never really happens anymore from anyone I respect the brain power of. Anybody who is really into sport and has some sort of relevance in the last decade is aware of the pull of the game and has at least a little respect.

I'd say he has a point.

It's the same point journalists in North America have been trying to make after every World Cup final for the past 24 years - all these predictions of doom and gloom for the sport. The only thing that makes this article different is the strange hatred and verbal abuse of Arjen Robben. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

Archived