Ipsos Reid poll: 78% of Canadians want Canada at 2014 World Cup

ray

CSA website has a story about a poll conducted by the Ipsos Reid group.

http://canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4339

"78% of Canadians agree that it is important for Canada to have a team at the 2014 FIFA World Cup™. Further to this, if Canada had a team in the FIFA World Cup™ 86% would cheer for their country first. "

Interestingly of the 78% wanting Canada at the next WC, 27% agreed strongly , 51% somewhat. (See Ipsos Reid link at bottom of page)

Somewhat? Still a long way to go to grow interest in soccer, but it's a start, I guess. Hope it translates into more corporate support for the CSA.

Those people probably barely follow the WC anyways and may not even be sports fans. I think the 27% figure is quite re-assuring though, that's 9 Million Canadians that would strongly like to see us at the next WC. These are the people that would likely watch the games and cheer the team on, the people the sponsors would be interested in.

CSA website has a story about a poll conducted by the Ipsos Reid group.

http://canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4339

"78% of Canadians agree that it is important for Canada to have a team at the 2014 FIFA World Cup™. Further to this, if Canada had a team in the FIFA World Cup™ 86% would cheer for their country first. "

Interestingly of the 78% wanting Canada at the next WC, 27% agreed strongly , 51% somewhat. (See Ipsos Reid link at bottom of page)

Somewhat? Still a long way to go to grow interest in soccer, but it's a start, I guess. Hope it translates into more corporate support for the CSA.

only 86% would cheer for canada? so the 14% would want canada to lose?

This brings up an interesting point. At my work most of the people don't really follow soccer. Im the only one that really watches and keeps an eye on most leagues. The general consensus among people at work is if Canada had a team they would support them, no questions asked.

However of that 86%, if Canada played their country of origin (or parents/grandparents country) how many would support Canada. My boss said he would cheer for England over Canada if they played and I gave it to him.

Just a thought. Either way, awareness is slowly creeping up.

I really don't understand how some people think. My parents moved to Canada from India in the '60s. I am very proud of my Punjabi heritage, but I am Canadian. I was born in Canada, I grew up in Canada, and I was educated in Canada. Most of my closest friends are Canadian. If there was an international competition for tiddleywinks, and Canada sent our champion to compete in it, I'd support that person to the point of obnoxiousness simply due to the fact that he had a maple leaf on his shirt. Call me simple or narrow-minded if you must, but I can't understand how anybody else born and/or raised in Canada might behave any differently. Dare, unless your boss was actually born and raised in England, he's a douche and I make no apologies for saying so.

I really don't understand how some people think. My parents moved to Canada from India in the '60s. I am very proud of my Punjabi heritage, but I am Canadian. I was born in Canada, I grew up in Canada, and I was educated in Canada. Most of my closest friends are Canadian. If there was an international competition for tiddleywinks, and Canada sent our champion to compete in it, I'd support that person to the point of obnoxiousness simply due to the fact that he had a maple leaf on his shirt. Call me simple or narrow-minded if you must, but I can't understand how anybody else born and/or raised in Canada might behave any differently. Dare, unless your boss was actually born and raised in England, he's a douche and I make no apologies for saying so.

Sums me up as well. I am a first generation Canadian of Punjabi decent as well. My dad moved to Canada in the late 60's and has declared himself a proud Canadian ever since. My family is very proud of our heritage and roots, but we all consider ourselves Canadian first and above anything else. If Canada played India in any sport, there isn't even a sliver of doubt in my mind as to where my alleigances would be, and it saddens me when I have this debate with my Indian friends (not all, I was actually surprised at the number who would support Canada) as some said they would support the old country.

We have beat the hockey support argument (i.e. Italian-Canadians cheering for Italy in the World Cup, but support Canada in hockey) to death, and its clear that success is the motivating factor.

A few more interesting facts from the survey:

Overall, two in three Canadians (64%) agree that if Canada had a team in the FIFA World Cup they would be even more proud to be Canadian.

The desire to have Canada qualify for the FIFA World Cup is so strong among many that six in ten (61%) Canadians agree that Canada should do whatever is necessary to ensure that we have a team at the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Funding is a key piece to realize this goal and six in ten Canadians (62%) agree that they would be more likely to support a company that sponsored Canada's national soccer teams as they attempt to qualify for the FIFA World Cup.

Archived