Toronto FC vs. Colorado - July 10th @ BMO

jpg75

Article by Ryan Jonhston re-inforces how Preki is a good coach and the past regimes had no f-'in clue what they were doing:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/07/06/johnston_blog_tfc/

The current monarchy, better known as Preki, stopped training on more than one occasion in the midday sun to remind players that mistakes made when it is hot result in wasted energy spent to retrieve the ball from the opposition.

These were not pleasant reminders, either.

The forecast calls for the current Southern Ontario heat wave to continue right though to Saturday, when the Reds kick off at BMO Field against Colorado at noon ET. While training in the oppressive heat when a perfectly empty - and air conditioned - indoor facility exists just steps away appears unkind, on Saturday a week's worth of acclimation might be the difference in what is an important three points up for grabs at home.

Preki, cooled off from the training session, was impartial to giving any credence to the strategy.

"Advantage or disadvantage, it can wear your body down," Preki said of the heat "We have to be smart, too; we need to have a good recovery and understand that it is a 12 o'clock kickoff and hopefully we can adjust to this weather faster than (Colorado)."

Wow, not a single post on this game!?

TFC win 1-0 on a Fuad Ibrahim goal in the 61st minute.

I only got to see bits and pieces, but the parts I saw had TFC showing some decent possession and creating some scoring chances, can't say for the rest of the game and I missed the goal.

Yes in the Santos signing thread there is mention of the game. I don't know what is with OBW. Is he injured or something? He just doesn't seem himself out there. When he recovered from the knee surgery and started back you could see him improving but now he has regressed. Santos was much better up front in the second half. Maybe OBW thought he was going to be on for a whole game and was trying to pace himself? Santos looks like he can fire the shots and was very effective.

Yes in the Santos signing thread there is mention of the game. I don't know what is with OBW. Is he injured or something? He just doesn't seem himself out there. When he recovered from the knee surgery and started back you could see him improving but now he has regressed. Santos was much better up front in the second half. Maybe OBW thought he was going to be on for a whole game and was trying to pace himself? Santos looks like he can fire the shots and was very effective.

His first touch and technique/body position in playing a possession/target man game haven't improved whatsoever from what I have seen of him this season. He's definitely struggling for form.

Elsewhere, you wonder what the deal is with the Latvian LB. As was pointed out in another forum, TFC have two guys who aren't fullbacks by trade (and are not left footed) starting ahead of him in his best position. I see that Saric lasted until half time to be replaced by Gargan who, among other things, received more of the ball in the holding d-mid position during that second half alone than what Saric gets during a whole match or even more: the Argie/Croat just doesn't have enough presence. Usanov overcame a poor first half (could have been booked early in the match, too many errant passes) but settled down to have a much stronger final 45 minutes. DeRo was pretty dangerous in 1 v 1s. Frei's form continues to be strong. A big difference from last year is that the CB partnership is so much more solid. The final minutes of the match were a bit of panic, but the team was able to come away with the points.

Elsewhere, you wonder what the deal is with the Latvian LB. As was pointed out in another forum, TFC have two guys who aren't fullbacks by trade (and are not left footed) starting ahead of him in his best position. I see that Saric lasted until half time to be replaced by Gargan who, among other things, received more of the ball in the holding d-mid position during that second half alone than what Saric gets during a whole match or even more: the Argie/Croat just doesn't have enough presence. Usanov overcame a poor first half (could have been booked early in the match, too many errant passes) but settled down to have a much stronger final 45 minutes. DeRo was pretty dangerous in 1 v 1s. Frei's form continues to be strong. A big difference from last year is that the CB partnership is so much more solid. The final minutes of the match were a bit of panic, but the team was able to come away with the points.

Not to be crude but the Latvian and Usanov are brutal and liabilities in the back so it's no wonder they aren't getting minutes any more. Usanov may have looked a bit better in the second but you can just tell how outside of his overlapping runs really doesn't offer anything. As for Hrscanovics - Hell you know how bad you are when Nick Garcia is starting over you and he's playing out of position!!

FWIW I have pics of Saric on the bench with a giant ice pack around his leg so he may have gotten injured or pulled something.

Not to be crude but the Latvian and Usanov are brutal and liabilities in the back so it's no wonder they aren't getting minutes any more. Usanov may have looked a bit better in the second but you can just tell how outside of his overlapping runs really doesn't offer anything. As for Hrscanovics - Hell you know how bad you are when Nick Garcia is starting over you and he's playing out of position!!

FWIW I have pics of Saric on the bench with a giant ice pack around his leg so he may have gotten injured or pulled something.

Points taken about Usanov. As for Saric, the fact that he seems to be picking up nicks/knocks also doesn't help his cause.

OBW seems soon to be a cast-off, eh? Pity as a few here were penciling him in to a future Canadian squad.

Been traveling a lot lately so have had very little time to keep tabs on TFC. What's this based on? The arrival of the Brazilian player from Chivas and Mista as a DP? To add Mista, with the arrival of Maicon Santos, a senior roster (i.e. not Nane, Ibrahim or Frei) player will have to go in the next few days. I would have thought releasing Hscanovics so he can get a move back to Europe during the summer window would be high on the agenda at least from a TFC standpoint given the money he is on is too high for a depth player. He doesn't appear to have even been a sub against the Rapids, for what it's worth.

Also difficult to justify keeping Kocic around if a player has to be released given his only playing time has been with the Serbian White Eagles in the CSL. Gomez might be another candidate if he is no longer injured and Preki doesn't rate him. At the start of the season I would have said Gala might go but the playing time he has been getting suggests he is safe. If OBW goes it is likely to be through a trade given he is a recent high first round draft pick but the timing isn't necessarily right for that in terms of getting full value given the other team would know TFC need to dump him in a hurry.

Archived