Hamilton to NASL?

Ivan

Report on the Fan 590 this morning states that BobYoung's proposal to put a new stadium in Hamilton at his preferred location for the PanAM Games and Ti-Cats includes 70 million of his own money for stadium construction and an additional 5 million committed to the NASL for a soccer franchise.

Edit: Sportnet has an article with accurate money distribution

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2010/07/06/lefko_money_where_his_mouth_is/

Could someone show on a map where the city wants to build and where Young wants to build?

well Hamilton wants it in the water front that they have been redeveloping even at one time there was a bid to put the Canadian rock of fame there!

You want it near a major highway but there is 3 major ones in the city so not to sure where!

Well we will know when Young gets a team when he sell his 1/4 ownership of the caralina railhawks

Report on the Fan 590 this morning states that BobYoung's proposal to put a new stadium in Hamilton at his preferred location for the PanAM Games and Ti-Cats includes 70 million of his own money for stadium construction and an additional 5 million committed to the NASL for a soccer franchise.

Edit: Sportnet has an article with accurate money distribution

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2010/07/06/lefko_money_where_his_mouth_is/

NASL website was being done by the owners of the TiCats before...makes sense. I was told by someone in the NASL organization a couple months back that Hamilton was next...

The most credible source in the world, MLS rumors, claims a "reliable" source has told them Victoria, Calgary, Saskatchewan, Hamilton, and Ottawa are all joining NASL. Probably not true............... but I hope it is.

well Hamilton has a head start since Young is already involved in the league

It's a done deal, has being a done deal since Hamilton won the right to build a new stadium for the games. Mr.Young has public stated his plans of purchasing a team for Hamilton for years now, he was also a supporters of the Hamilton Thunder. 5 mil budget for a NASL team isnt to shabby at all...by the end of summer everything will be finalized in regards to stadium location and more info about the NASL team.

It's a done deal, has being a done deal since Hamilton won the right to build a new stadium for the games. Mr.Young has public stated his plans of purchasing a team for Hamilton for years now, he was also a supporters of the Hamilton Thunder. 5 mil budget for a NASL team isnt to shabby at all...by the end of summer everything will be finalized in regards to stadium location and more info about the NASL team.

Brilliant news. Nice buget as well. Not starting an Acadamey as well? Hamilton Academicals, now that sounds familiar:rolleyes:

Seriously though EFC seem to have willing Players and Competent Coaching staff, due to local owner with relativley deep pockets. With a Large Operating Budget, I hope they spend it wisely.;)

The most credible source in the world, MLS rumors, claims a "reliable" source has told them Victoria, Calgary, Saskatchewan, Hamilton, and Ottawa are all joining NASL. Probably not true............... but I hope it is.

Well, I guess if the province is going to spend $450M+ on that new stadium in Regina they should get more tenants so it's being used more than a dozen times a year.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
Could someone show on a map where the city wants to build and where Young wants to build?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Mud+Street,+Hamilton,+Ontario&sll=43.511107,-79.638502&sspn=0.007376,0.013733&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Old+Mud+St,+Hamilton,+Hamilton+Division,+Ontario&ll=43.197355,-79.818635&spn=0.014829,0.027466&z=15

This is the intersection (don't mind the "A" label) approximately. It's around where the Lincoln Alexander Pkwy and the Red Hill Expressway connect. Lots of land to be developed, current location of (sub)urban sprawl in and around Hamilton. Once they have a public transit solution in place for the new stadium, I'll be all for it.

Better than the initial proposed location by a country mile.

I was told Victoria, Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Quebec City, and Ottawa were on the list, by someone who actually works there.

The Hamilton press is now reporting that Hamilton Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young is aiming his expectation even higher than the NASL. In fact he's thinking of using the NASL for the next few years as a spring board for MLS. All this come on light of the new Hamilton 26,000-seat stadium, that is expected to be built southeast of downtown near two major highways. This is probably sounds as a pipe dream, but MLS Commissioner Don Garber does not denied it that another Canadian city is being sought, even though Garber has stated that New York II bid is clearly the front runner to become the 20th franchise.

Please listen to to this interview with Don Garber with a Toronto radio station. The interview took place yesterday:

http://www.mls-rumors.net/9449/2010/07/audio-mls-commish-don-garber-talks-new-york-city-expansion-on-toronto-radio/

The Hamilton press is now reporting that Hamilton Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young is aiming his expectation even higher than the NASL. In fact he's thinking of using the NASL for the next few years as a spring board for MLS. All this come on light of the new Hamilton 26,000-seat stadium, that is expected to be built southeast of downtown near two major highways. This is probably sounds as a pipe dream, but MLS Commissioner Don Garber does not denied it that another Canadian city is being sought, even though Garber has stated that New York II bid is clearly the front runner to become the 20th franchise.

Please listen to to this interview with Don Garber with a Toronto radio station. The interview took place yesterday:

http://www.mls-rumors.net/9449/2010/07/audio-mls-commish-don-garber-talks-new-york-city-expansion-on-toronto-radio/

Of course... Sigh.

I will be pretty stoked when this Hamilton Franchise starts up. TFC is going to own the Derby game and we will come out En Masse to own their stadium whether it is a weekday game or not.

I want to know what is going to happen to the Hamilton/Burlington/St Catherines/Niagara/Brantford TFC fans, because they are hopefully going to be the core group that gets this franchise off the ground and running in the NASL

I had the impression for a while that Garber looks to be modling MLS expansion along NHL lines. Not specificly the same towns but six strong canadian clubs to maintain a cross boarder rivalry. CSA hardly going to argue now is it (ref: the ASA debarcle)?

I'm surprised at the excitement for this. I'd love Toronto to have geographic rival like Hamilton, but it sounds like things aren't really setup for a successful franchise in Hamilton. Won't the stadium be way too large and have football lines? Along with Edmonton, it sounds too me like there's not the necessary infrastructure for a team to thrive in Hamilton. I like the idea of an expanded Voyageurs Cup but not at the expense of the long term growth of the sport.

Archived