SuperLiga

well its supposed to be a tournament for Mexico Canada and the U.S.A but there is no Canadian teams playing

That is strange but probably more marketting than anything else. It sounds better when you say "North American Super League" than " Mexico & USA Super League". The Canadian clubs seem focused on the CCL as a possible path to extra games. Add in some high profile exhibitions against Euro clubs warming up and you don't have a lot of time left.

well its supposed to be a tournament for Mexico Canada and the U.S.A but there is no Canadian teams playing

I don't think it's really "supposed" to include Canada at all, actually. IMHO, it's a tournament designed entirely to extract as much money as possible from people of Mexican descent who are now living in the USA. Notice that all of the games are played in the USA. Kind of strange, no?

Officially, the tournament is supposed to include the top four MLS teams not already in the CONCACAF Champion's league. Up until now, Toronto FC has not made the top four, so there's been no worry about having a Canadian team take the place of an American team. It'll be interesting to see what happens if TFC "earns" a Superliga spot this year based on their MLS standing; I have a feeling the tournament organizers will not be thrilled about that, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some more last-minute rule changes.

Well if the Canadian teams are more interested in CONCACAF Champion's league. Why not fight for a second spot take one away from Belize or Nicaragua because there spots are always token away because of stadium issues! Especially since next year we will have four teams participating!

I don't think it's really "supposed" to include Canada at all, actually. IMHO, it's a tournament designed entirely to extract as much money as possible from people of Mexican descent who are now living in the USA. Notice that all of the games are played in the USA. Kind of strange, no?

Officially, the tournament is supposed to include the top four MLS teams not already in the CONCACAF Champion's league. Up until now, Toronto FC has not made the top four, so there's been no worry about having a Canadian team take the place of an American team. It'll be interesting to see what happens if TFC "earns" a Superliga spot this year based on their MLS standing; I have a feeling the tournament organizers will not be thrilled about that, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some more last-minute rule changes.

The tournament is also supposed to be about re-creating the Mexico-US rivalry that exists on the national stage. That kind of hate doesn't exist for the CMNT like it does the MMNT. And the Canada-Mexico rivalry is not nearly what the US-Mexico rivalry is either.

I'd rather see the tournament as a 2nd CONCACAF tournament, but once again, stadia sizes are the problem. And also, it's about the US and Mexico, nothing more.

And also, it's about the US and Mexico, nothing more.
You have to love the logo description on the Wikipedia website, how couldn't you ?:

Logo

SuperLiga.png

The SuperLiga logo, which depicts two swirling feathers, took its inspiration from symbols common to the homes of both involved leagues: the Bald Eagle native to the United States and the Golden Eagle native to Mexico and appearing on its flag, both birds are also native to Canada.

LOL !!! "Oh, and BTW, you can find these birds in Canada as well, isn't that cool ?"

You have to love the logo description on the Wikipedia website, how couldn't you ?:

Logo

SuperLiga.png

The SuperLiga logo, which depicts two swirling feathers, took its inspiration from symbols common to the homes of both involved leagues: the Bald Eagle native to the United States and the Golden Eagle native to Mexico and appearing on its flag, both birds are also native to Canada.

LOL !!! "Oh, and BTW, you can find these birds in Canada as well, isn't that cool ?"

And neither one of them is the national bird of our country...

This is what I have always understood it as. Is Toronto even eligible to play in this tournament? They can't qualify for the CCL via MLS, and I have never read anywhere that they can qualify for this tournament.

Besides, Toronto can't play in both the CCL and the SuperLiga. And we don't know if Toronto will qualify for the 2011 CCL until next June. And the same will be true with Vancouver and Montreal.

From the SuperLiga Wikipedia page, it sounds like a Canadian MLS club could qualify, as the competition is supposedly sanctioned by the CSA.

Rico: it wouldn't be a logistics nightmare. European clubs don't play in both the UEFA Champions League and the Europa League. The same applies to CONCACAF: a club wouldn't play in both the Champions League and the SuperLiga. The Champions League is the superior competition, and thus has priority.

If a Canadian MLS club wins the Voyageurs Cup, they would play in the CONCACAF Champions League. If a Canadian MLS club does not win the Voyageurs Cup (and thus does not enter the CONCACAF Champions League), they could qualify for the SuperLiga. The top four MLS clubs (from league / regular season play) that are not already in the CONCACAF Champions League are entered into the SuperLiga. So in theory, a Canadian club could finish sixth in MLS and would qualify for the SuperLiga.

really that doesn't help the competition at all

They don't really care. They're guaranteed a certain amount of cash from SUM for their participation. The tournament does absolutely nothing for their finances, and it means nothing to their players and fans.

Archived