Jump to content

rdroze
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Qatar 2022 'whistleblower' in corruption U-turn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14098944.stm

Upon reflection does this suprise any of us, or furthermore, visit upon any us the urge to clamor for the Re-insitgation of Happy Jack, Mr Haman, and uncle tom cobbley and all?

I will be surprised if I don't hear at some point in the future a headline along the lines of, "Former Qatar Bid Official Dies in Car Accident". However, maybe this recantation was just enough to avoid such an "accident".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Qatar 2022 'whistleblower' in corruption U-turn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14098944.stm

Upon reflection does this suprise any of us, or furthermore, visit upon any us the urge to clamor for the Re-insitgation of Happy Jack, Mr Haman, and uncle tom cobbley and all?

LOL. You know, in Winnipeg we have a saying for just such occurrences. It goes something like this.

Whatever.

You could throw in a "Uh huh." prefix if so inclined, just to emphasize disbelief while also being completely dismissive.

Seriously? FIFA's Old Boy Network doesn't realize what's going on? Where things are going whether they like it or not? Could they be THAT stupid?

If the WC Finals are ever played in Qatar I'll eat my hat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At which point I would expect his trial would resume right where it left off.

In other news, it seems that Bin Hammam is hitting back.

http://www.mohamedbinhammam.com/en/Blog/blog.php?page=1&perpage=1&menuNum=31

As things progress, I think that we'll find that he is simply the sacrificial lamb in all this. Weren't there rumblings of a breakaway group of countries? Where has that gone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FIFA are giving Caribbean feds 48 hours to come clean or face investigation and possible lifetime bans!

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6805100/fifa-gives-caribbean-soccer-officials-deadline-explain-trinidad-meeting-activities

ZURICH -- Caribbean soccer leaders were given 48 hours by FIFA to explain their part in a Trinidad meeting where Mohamed bin Hammam allegedly offered them bribes, or face life bans from the sport.

Caribbean Football Union members have been asked for their "truthful and complete" versions of events, FIFA said Tuesday. Soccer's scandal-hit governing body sent letters Monday setting a Wednesday deadline to provide explanations and confessions.

"Any person who has relevant information but does not come forward during this 48-hour period will be subject to the full range of sanctions," FIFA said in a statement.

...At least nine Caribbean countries have cooperated with FIFA's investigation into the bribery claims, and a 10th -- Cuba -- was not present in Trinidad.

Of the 15 remaining CFU members, 12 wrote testimony denying the allegations and supporting bin Hammam and Caribbean soccer powerbroker Jack Warner when they first appeared before FIFA's ethics panel in May.

Those supporters were targeted in recent weeks by FIFA investigators, led by former FBI director Louis Freeh, but some did not cooperate or did not accept invitations to be quizzed in Miami and the Bahamas last month.

The sanctions threatened by FIFA could potentially remove the Caribbean's most experienced soccer leaders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FIFA are giving Caribbean feds 48 hours to come clean or face investigation and possible lifetime bans!

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6805100/fifa-gives-caribbean-soccer-officials-deadline-explain-trinidad-meeting-activities

ZURICH -- Caribbean soccer leaders were given 48 hours by FIFA to explain their part in a Trinidad meeting where Mohamed bin Hammam allegedly offered them bribes, or face life bans from the sport.

Caribbean Football Union members have been asked for their "truthful and complete" versions of events, FIFA said Tuesday. Soccer's scandal-hit governing body sent letters Monday setting a Wednesday deadline to provide explanations and confessions.

"Any person who has relevant information but does not come forward during this 48-hour period will be subject to the full range of sanctions," FIFA said in a statement.

...At least nine Caribbean countries have cooperated with FIFA's investigation into the bribery claims, and a 10th -- Cuba -- was not present in Trinidad.

Of the 15 remaining CFU members, 12 wrote testimony denying the allegations and supporting bin Hammam and Caribbean soccer powerbroker Jack Warner when they first appeared before FIFA's ethics panel in May.

Those supporters were targeted in recent weeks by FIFA investigators, led by former FBI director Louis Freeh, but some did not cooperate or did not accept invitations to be quizzed in Miami and the Bahamas last month.

The sanctions threatened by FIFA could potentially remove the Caribbean's most experienced soccer leaders.

With regards to Bin Hamman's intentions for recourse through the Swizz Legal System and/ or the Court of Arbitration for Sport; If anyone wants to read the thread on the ASA dispute (Good luck with that!) you may get a sense of what is to come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2011/10/14/18827306.html

Four Caribbean soccer officials banned

By BRIAN HOMEWOOD, REUTERS

BERNE -- Four Caribbean soccer officials have been banned, including one for 18 months, for their part in a cash-for-votes scandal in the run-up to this year's FIFA presidential election.

Two other officials were reprimanded and fined by FIFA's ethics committee, one was reprimanded and another five were given warnings, FIFA said in a statement on Friday.

The longest ban from all football-related activity was handed to Franka Pickering, president of the British Virgin Islands FA, who was also fined 500 Swiss francs ($560).

The cases are related to a meeting in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago on May 10 and 11 where it was alleged that FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam handed out bribes to Caribbean members of CONCACAF -- the regional body for soccer in North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Former Asian soccer chief Bin Hammam has since been banned for life by FIFA but has protested his innocence along with ex-CONCACAF president Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago.

Warner was also under investigation by FIFA for allegedly offering bribes but resigned before the probe was completed.

Bin Hammam withdrew his candidacy before the presidential vote, allowing Sepp Blatter to be re-elected for a fourth successive term as head of soccer's world governing body.

On Friday, FIFA also banned Horace Burrell of Jamaica for six months, three of which have been suspended for a probationary period of two years.

Osiris Guzman (Dominican Republic) and Ian Hypolite (St Vincent and the Grenadines) were suspended for 30 days, 15 of which were suspended for a probationary period of six months, and fined 300 Swiss francs each.

Aubrey Liburd (British Virgin Islands) and Hillaren Frederick (U.S. Virgin Islands) were reprimanded and fined 300 Swiss francs each while Anthony Johnson (St Kitts and Nevis) was reprimanded.

David Hinds and Mark Bob Forde (both Barbados), Richard Groden (Trinidad & Tobago), Yves Jean-Bart (Haiti) and Horace Reid (Jamaica) were warned

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The developments in Brazil could prove to be interesting. With the President currently on a crusade against corruption that is growing in public support, it will be interesting to see if Ricardo Teixeira can avoid getting turfed.

See the article as headlined below at the link below:

Critics want red card for Brazil's football boss

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/10/18/uk-brazil-teixeira-idUKTRE79H0ZY20111018

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The developments in Brazil could prove to be interesting. With the President currently on a crusade against corruption that is growing in public support, it will be interesting to see if Ricardo Teixeira can avoid getting turfed.

See the article as headlined below at the link below:

Critics want red card for Brazil's football boss

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/10/18/uk-brazil-teixeira-idUKTRE79H0ZY20111018

Is someone (ex-player) in the Brazilian Senate opposing new tax laws that will allow Fifa to set the Ticket prices out of the reach of the common fan?

If so this could be more of a problem to FIFA than the frightening slow pace of stadium development.

# Update# Link was playing up and I didnt see Romario's involvment , which is what i was aluding to.

Edited by alberta white
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice one, can't go wrong blaming the Jews...

Yes just when I think my opinion of Warner couldn't drop any lower he finds a way to disgrace himself even further. It is pretty sad when a scumbag like Blatter seems the lesser of two evils when compared with Warner. Nevertheless, it will be nice if this whole affair leads to the both of them exposing the corruption of the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooh, this is getting juicy. Blatter about to throw even more of his cronies under the bus?

Sepp Blatter ready to approve release of Fifa fraud trial documents

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 18 October 2011 20.57 BST

The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, is this week expected to put pressure on his executive committee to introduce measures to convince a sceptical public that he is capable of meaningful reform, including the release of explosive documents that could provide proof that senior officials took bribes.

Blatter is preparing for the pivotal executive committee meeting in Zurich on Thursday at which he will advance a "zero tolerance" agenda that he hopes will convince Fifa's many critics that he is serious about reform. According to the BBC, one plan under consideration is to deal with the past by allowing Swiss courts to release the controversial documents. For more than a decade Fifa has fought against the details contained in the papers being made public.

But there is a growing acceptance in Zurich that Blatter's only hope of survival is to acknowledge the mistakes of the past, even at the risk of enraging those who remain on the executive committee who may possibly be implicated.

Last November, days before the vote for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, the BBC's Panorama programme alleged that $100m (£63.65m) had been paid between 1991 and 2001 by International Sports and Leisure in kickbacks to officials in return for TV and marketing contracts. It alleged that the Fifa executive committee members Nicolás Leoz, Ricardo Teixeira and Issa Hayatou were among the recipients. All three denied the claims.

Teixeira, who is under renewed investigation from Brazilian police over money‑laundering claims related to the payments, was alleged to have received £6m in bribes via a company called Sanud that was registered in Liechtenstein, although he denies the allegations.

ISL was declared bankrupt in May 2001 but the fallout continued until June last year, when the second of two Swiss court cases ended with an agreement by lawyers acting for Fifa and the officials in question to pay 5.5m Swiss francs to settle the case.

Without naming the officials involved, the prosecutor in the canton of Zug said last year: "In the course of the proceedings, the accused did not deny the receipt of the monies, although they denied criminal liability." Corporate bribery was not a crime in Switzerland before 2001. At the time Fifa said: "It is important to recall that the decision was made on matters which took place prior to the year 2000 and that there has been no court conviction against Fifa. In addition the Fifa president has been cleared of any wrongdoing in this matter."

Allowing the release of the documents is one of a number of measures that Blatter is considering putting before the executive committee as he seeks to show he is serious about his reform agenda. Other plans include making the ethics committee more independent, introducing a "solutions committee" to oversee reform and reform of the executive committee itself.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/18/sepp-blatter-fifa-documents

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Romario is now a politician but I don't think he would be the biggest issue for FIFA. President Rousseff has basically said that Brazil will not be a slave to FIFA. While I think the Brazilian government will do what is reasonable (as the article alludes), there are some things that it feels are none of FIFA's business. One being laws about making tickets available at discounts to seniors and students.

Re Stadiums, Brazil got off to a slow start but I don't think even stadiums will be the biggest problem in the end. The infrastructure around some of the stadiums are likely to be the most challenging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

ZURICH -- FIFA will not appeal a ruling by a Swiss court, clearing the way for the release of a document identifying soccer officials who took millions of dollars in kickbacks from World Cup broadcast deals.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/7392901/fifa-accepts-ruling-release-kickbacks-file

Soccer's governing body said it will not comment on the document's contents until its release has been cleared by the court. The decision by the state court in Zug court was reported Tuesday by the Zurich business weekly Handelszeitung.

The document details a settlement announced in 2010 in which senior soccer officials acknowledged taking kickbacks and repaid $6.1 million.

The 10-year-old scandal stems from alleged payments made by the ISL marketing agency before its 2001 collapse with debts of $300 million.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice one, can't go wrong blaming the Jews...

Someone could probably put together a book of some best quotes from FIFA officials. It would be best seller for its humour.

some of the best would cover: Hot pants in the womens game, Jews, Hand shake settles racism, Red cards, six and five, The faulkland islands...etc

Edited by Free kick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ZURICH -- FIFA will not appeal a ruling by a Swiss court, clearing the way for the release of a document identifying soccer officials who took millions of dollars in kickbacks from World Cup broadcast deals.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/7392901/fifa-accepts-ruling-release-kickbacks-file

Soccer's governing body said it will not comment on the document's contents until its release has been cleared by the court. The decision by the state court in Zug court was reported Tuesday by the Zurich business weekly Handelszeitung.

The document details a settlement announced in 2010 in which senior soccer officials acknowledged taking kickbacks and repaid $6.1 million.

The 10-year-old scandal stems from alleged payments made by the ISL marketing agency before its 2001 collapse with debts of $300 million.

Any chance this will explain the allocation of 450,000 seats

by Blatters son for the 2018 and 2022 competitions? Nar didn't think so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That document should reveal what everyone already knows:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11841783

Three senior Fifa officials who will vote on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids took bribes in the 1990s, according to the BBC's Panorama.

Nicolas Leoz, Issa Hayatou and Ricardo Teixeira took the money from a sport marketing firm awarded lucrative World Cup rights, the programme alleges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...