rdroze

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-fifa-briberyprobe-blazer

I guess the 'business' Blazer was doing in this article was getting himself unfired.

Edit: The contents of this article keeps changing. When I first read it they reported that Blazer was fired by Austin. They had contacted Blazer's hotel room and were told that he was conducting 'business'.

Edited by Lurker

http://www.concacaf.com/page/CommitteesDetail/0,,12813~1842481,00.html

FYI. Lisle Austin (Barbados) is the second guy in charge of CONCACAF after Warner. So yes, I would say that he is a Warner puppet. Imagine this, the Austin is requesting that Blazer cease in retaining a lawyer in pursuing the investigation. Hmmm, so they tried to fire him for hiring lawyer.

Funny, it's almost turning into anarchy. I wonder what effect that this could ultimately have on the upcoming Gold Cup

Edited by Free kick

Lisle B. Austin

Vice President

Date of Birth: April 26, 1936

Profession:

Languages: English

Email: LAustinBRB@aol.com

Status on other committees:

Chaiman, CONCACAF Public Affairs Group of Committees;

Member, FIFA Appeals Committee

Alfredo Hawit Banegas

Vice President

Date of Birth: October 8, 1951

Profession: Professor in Judicial and Social Sciences

Languages: Spanish

Email: afredo_hawit@yahoo.com

Member, FIFA Disciplinary Committee; Vice Chairman, CONCACAF Public Affairs Group of Committees

Guillermo Canedo White

Vice President

Date of Birth: February 20, 1960

Profession: Businessman

Languages:

Email: gcanedow@msn.com

Capt. Horace Burrell

Date of Birth: February 8, 1950

Profession: Businessman

Languages: English

Email: captainburrell@hotmail.com

Chairman - Disciplinary Committee

Ariel Alvarado

Date of Birth: January 8, 1959

Profession: Lawyer

Languages: English, Spanish

Email: arielab@sinfo.net

Sunil Gulati

Date of Birth: July 30, 1959

Profession: Football Executive

Email:

Rafael Salguero

Date of Birth: March 12, 1945

Profession: Attorney

Languages: Spanish

Email: salsan@itelgua.com

Chuck Blazer

General Secretary

Date of Birth: April 26, 1945

Profession: Football Executive

Email: chuck.blazer@concacaf.org

Member of the FIFA Executive Committee currently serving as Chairman of the FIFA Media Committee and Deputy Chairman of the FIFA National Associations Committee. Chairman of the Competitions Committee Group of CONCACAF and Member of the Players Status Committee of FIFA and the Confederation Cup and World Club Championship Committee. Chairman of the FIFA Subcommittee on Virtual Advertising and Member of the Special Commission representing FIFA to the European Union.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/925074/fifa-senior-vice-president-julio-grondona-blasts-england?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5901

Interesting charge that this guy is leveling. Says he voted for Qatar because he stated that a vote for the US was like a vote for England. And the English always lie and complain. Says that England should return the Faulkland islands to argentina. We have got some real duzzy's in FIFA don't we?

"FIFA's senior vice-president, Julio Grondona, has accused England of "always complaining" and said he voted for Qatar for 2022 because "a vote for the US would be like a vote for

England".

Julio Grondona would only vote for England if the Falkland Islands were handed over

Reports had been published in the English press accusing FIFA of corruption ahead of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup votes, and former FA chairman Lord Triesman made a series of accusations against four FIFA executive members last month.

Current FA chairman David Bernstein has most recently led a bid to delay the FIFA presidential elections in which Sepp Blatter stands unopposed in the wake of the current crisis.

Grondona, president of the Argentinian FA and head of FIFA's finance committee, said: "We always have attacks from England which are mostly lies with the support of journalism which is more busy lying than telling the truth. This upsets and disturbs the FIFA family.

"To present such a project as David Bernstein presented is like shooting a penalty because it cannot be always from the same place that the insults and problems come from.

"I see it at every Congress. They have specific privileges with four countries having one vice-president. I don't know what our president has said, but we have seen the World Cup go around the world, to South America and Africa and it looks like this country does not like it.

"It looks like England is always complaining so please I say will you leave the FIFA family alone, and when you speak, speak with truth."

In an interview with a German press agency on Tuesday, Grondona called England "pirates" and added: "Yes, I voted for Qatar, because a vote for the US would be like a vote for England, and that is not possible.

"But with the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left."

Edited by Free kick

"But with the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left."

That's t-shirt material.

Awesome!

Pretty sensational really. The "government threatening" and "blunt warning" is based on one interview with one MP over what could happen down the road. The only thing the Swiss are doing is looking at their laws to see if they can bring sporting bodies in line with corporations under Swiss anti-corruption legislation. But as any change to the tax status or privileges of sporting bodies affects 60 other federations in the country their options are somewhat limited.

The Swiss proved after the war they are no fools. Anyone expecting them to take the moral high ground is going to be deeply disappointed.

Edited by Vic

Pretty sensational really.

The Swiss proved after the war they are no fools. Anyone expecting them to take the moral high ground is going to be deeply disappointed.

I think that you are right. There is a reason why most of global sports organizations and others are based in Switzerland.

Much like their banking system, Switzerland is a tax paradise and you can operate free of scrutiny. The Swiss know this and realize the immense benefits it has brought them.

With all this turmoil wouldn't now be the perfect time for North and Central America to form CONCAF consisting of: USA, Mexico, Canada, Honduras, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Belize and El Salvador? Should be work 3 WCQ spots, at worst 2.5.

----

Edit: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=11496

Interesting info here, looks like the North and Central American Execs are behind Blazer.

Edited by Lurker

With all this turmoil wouldn't now be the perfect time for North and Central America to form CONCAF consisting of: USA, Mexico, Canada, Honduras, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Belize and El Salvador? Should be work 3 WCQ spots, at worst 2.5.

You would be guaranteeing the carribean countries one spot or half a spot. They would love that, wouldn't they?

You would be guaranteeing the carribean countries one spot or half a spot. They would love that, wouldn't they?

Half a spot is all they should get in my opinion, they don't consistently get into the top 3. Make them play two playoffs one, versus the 4th in CONCAF and then the winner can go to play CONEMBOL/AFC.

^ I forgot about Panama too when I listed the countries.

----

Edit: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=11496

Interesting info here, looks like the North and Central American Execs are behind Blazer.

Finally we can be rid of those Panamanians! LOL!

Half a spot is all they should get in my opinion, they don't consistently get into the top 3. Make them play two playoffs one, versus the 4th in CONCAF and then the winner can go to play CONEMBOL/AFC.

^ I forgot about Panama too when I listed the countries.

But they don't have a guaranteed spot now. In the last WC it was US, Mex, Hon who qualified and CRC who earned the half spot. There was no carribean country. Are we saying that because we are ticked off at the recent allegations against them, that we should ward them.

But they don't have a guaranteed spot now. In the last WC it was US, Mex, Hon who qualified and CRC who earned the half spot. There was no carribean country. Are we saying that because we are ticked off at the recent allegations against them, that we should ward them.

I think it would be a major loss for the CFU. CONCAF gets the control it deserves (10 countries with equal voting rights, instead of the 10/35 they get now), a balanced and sensible WCQ qualification format (same as CONEMBOL most likely). CFU would lose all the money that comes in from the USA (friendlies, Gold Cup, TV rights). The guaranteed 0.5 for the CFU would be a minor consolation prize.

Despite being advised otherwise by UEFA, England attempted to postpone the vote yesterday and were supported by Scotland but were resoundingly defeated 172-17. Not sure if it's the same 17, but one was Vietnam who voted wrong by mistake.

"FIFA ExCo members Julio Grondona from Argentina and Angel Villa Llona from Spain slammed the [English] FA while speaking at the congress following Blatter's successful re-election.

The reaction led to Jim Boyce, Britain's new FIFA vice-president, insisting the FA must start afresh and repair some of the damage caused in the lead-up to Wednesday's election."

Hi guys. I have been enjoying reading your comments. I just wanted to share a couple links for any of you who are interested. Over at IMS, we have been working wtih a great Puerto Rican soccer journalist, Esteban Pagán-Rivera from the Primera Hora Newspaper. He allows us to translate and comment on some of his stories relating to the various topics of interest as they related to the NASL, USLPRO, CFU, CONCACAF, etc.

Here is the link to the interview that he did with the presdient of the FPF (Puerto Rican fed), Eric Labrador about the $40k that he received:

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2011/05/31/eric-labrador-president-of-the-puerto-rican-football-federation-breaks-his-silence-about-cfu-money-from-hamman-and-warner/#comments

We also did an podcast (audio only) interview that we did with Esteban about his conversations with Sr. Labrador.

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2011/05/31/audio-interview-with-soccer-journalist-esteban-pagan-rivera-who-interviewed-prff-president-eric-labrador/#respond

It is still interesting that some of the CFU FA heads claim that they don't know anything about any money being handed out.

Despite being advised otherwise by UEFA, England attempted to postpone the vote yesterday and were supported by Scotland but were resoundingly defeated 172-17. Not sure if it's the same 17, but one was Vietnam who voted wrong by mistake.

"FIFA ExCo members Julio Grondona from Argentina ................slammed the [English] FA while speaking at the congress following Blatter's successful re-election.

QUOTE]

I dont think the FA will be worried out upseting an Anti-Semmetic Argentinian. Actually I think a number in the organisation would call that a result. This is the guy who said he'd only ever vote for them when the Malvinas(Falkland Islands) are returned to Argentina.

You have to realise that the antagonism between the FIFA caucase and the FA is way older than Last years Tournament Bids. The Sour grape have a vintage all the way back to 1974 (and perhaps even older) when Havalance beat the encumbent Sir Stanley Rouse to the Presidency, on a ticket which expanded the reach of the game away from the European stronghold.

To qualify the Anti-Semetic refrence:

Back in 2003 he publicly dismissed the ability of Jews to referee at Level 1 in Argentina, calling them lazy and workshy.

This still does not excuse Rouse's support of the Apartied Regime South African, or the FA's inability to accept its previous arrogance in dealing with developing nations.

Still it was nice to Sepp's concilatory comments today. The FA should now look at working with him, rather than plotting against him. Just stay away from the finance commitees.

Edited by alberta white

...The reaction led to Jim Boyce, Britain's new FIFA vice-president, insisting the FA must start afresh and repair some of the damage caused in the lead-up to Wednesday's election."

Jim Boyce is noted for his Anti-Technology comments "We play a human game which needs to be judge with Human eyes".

Hi guys. I have been enjoying reading your comments. I just wanted to share a couple links for any of you who are interested. Over at IMS, we have been working wtih a great Puerto Rican soccer journalist, Esteban Pagán-Rivera from the Primera Hora Newspaper. He allows us to translate and comment on some of his stories relating to the various topics of interest as they related to the NASL, USLPRO, CFU, CONCACAF, etc.

Here is the link to the interview that he did with the presdient of the FPF (Puerto Rican fed), Eric Labrador about the $40k that he received:

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2011/05/31/eric-labrador-president-of-the-puerto-rican-football-federation-breaks-his-silence-about-cfu-money-from-hamman-and-warner/#comments

We also did an podcast (audio only) interview that we did with Esteban about his conversations with Sr. Labrador.

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2011/05/31/audio-interview-with-soccer-journalist-esteban-pagan-rivera-who-interviewed-prff-president-eric-labrador/#respond

It is still interesting that some of the CFU FA heads claim that they don't know anything about any money being handed out.

Yankiboy,

Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff, including the comments. "Forget it Jake. It's the CFU."

I can't believe it's taken this long, but finally someone in the mainstream media is asking what I want to know: where the frick is the CSA in all of this?

Time for the CSA to come clean

Stephen Brunt

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Jun. 02, 2011 8:05PM EDT

Over the past week, FIFA, which controls world soccer, descended fully into farce.

Accusations of corruption flew back and forth, alleged crooks pointed fingers at other alleged crooks, photographs of brown envelopes stuffed with cash were circulated, all of it culminating in a presidential election with all the transparency and democratic legitimacy of voting day in North Korea.

more here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/time-for-the-csa-to-come-clean/article2045271/