Paul James compares Canada to France

I haven't been paying attention but a certain ex Ntl team captain providing analysis on CBC should be careful he doesn't step into any doodoo with comments on this French player uprising.
I seem to recall rumours to this effect years ago but NO PROOF. Before we tar JDV with this, and urban myth becomes fact (as it so often does on these boards) let's see some proof.

Maybe my memory is foggy, but I remember seeing comments like this at the time and being pissed off because there was no proof (re DeVos' involvement), kind of like the rumour where the players coached themselves in the Gold Cup instead of Steven Hart. Newbs pick up on this stiff and spread it as fact when it should be nipped in the bud.

I think there are some similarities and James does point those out, however, Gian-Luca is correct in saying that James is very selective in choosing his facts.

I will also add that James seems to be incredibly hypocritical. He says the French Federation is to blame for not getting rid of Domenech after 2008, but then praises them for standing behind him now. So he is saying that they should support a man they should have fired?

Finally, he points out that the main difference between France and Canada is that not enough people care here, then he goes on to belittle the people that do! You just can't win with this guy.

I don't think he's being hypocritical in that respect. He can blame the FFF for keeping Domenech there but that doesn't mean he can't praise them for their stance during the players crisis. The fact the FFF made a mistake with Domenech doesn't mean the players aren't to blame for the current situation. I think this paragraph resumed it well:

The French Federation is ultimately to blame for its lack of foresight but it should be commended for standing by the coach during this player crisis. The dismal showing of the French team in South Africa does lay in the lap of Domenech but it is also firmly in the lap of the players, who have been a national disgrace.

Without getting too far off topic has anyone noticed how managers resign when they fail? This was my beef with Mitchell, he should have passed on coaching the MNT after the Under 20 debacle, and after the failed WCQ campaign he had no business staying on as coach! The CSA is partly to blame for not firing him but Mitchell should have done the honourable thing and stepped down! I loved the guy as a player and so much wanted him to do well as a manager but sadly to me he tarnished his whole image!

And proud of it....

Do you know what sycophantic actually means? The old saying goes that a true friend tells you what you need to hear not what you want to hear. Sycophant describes the type of person who acts like they are your friend but will only ever tell you what you want to hear so they can ingratiate themself with you. Personally think there is an element of that sort of behaviour on here where national team players are concerned that you wouldn't see in more established soccer nations where there is more of an attitude that players have to earn the respect that goes with wearing the national team shirt and maintain a high level of conduct to keep it.

Archived